Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

ulrikft2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

LightShow wrote:
How is the color uniformity between the lenses?

the rokkor and the sigma are warmer than the cv and the two zeisses,.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:03 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

Mr Huff seems excited:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/09/07/photokina-2012-it-may-be-the-best-ever/#comment-202132
....and now have to pre-order this new thing from Sony, which has NOT leaked and NO ONE is expecting. I just drooled all over it when Sony was here but they took it with them.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:17 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

LightShow wrote:
Mr Huff seems excited:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/09/07/photokina-2012-it-may-be-the-best-ever/#comment-202132

Although I've read a handful of posts from him, I don't follow him. Do you recall how enthused he was about the nex7 ? Just... To be THAT enthused about this Sony "thing"... With all his m -mount glass... Surely... This can only mean a full-frame nex? Perhaps we're just reading what we want to believe though...

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:25 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

snapsy wrote:
I have no idea what the product will be but I've already pre-ordered it.

Hahaha.

I got it from a confirmed source that it's a pancake shaped robot that drives around the house and takes photos of its owners. Comes with an built in nude-recognition app also. I pre-ordered two.

There's no way this is going to be a FF NEX. I will throw my 5N in the river if it is.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:31 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I would be shocked if Sony released a FF NEX now. Given the impending release of the a99, I highly doubt they would do that as it would risk taking sales (and excitement) away from that camera. Sony is more likely to release an updated NEX-7 and then release the FF NEX next year after they have sold a few a99's.

Frankly, given Sony's background, I don't think they'd be unhappy if A mount withered away as long as it didn't happen too fast. E mount gives them a common platform between their camera business and their mid-level video business, which is a major win for them. A mount is neither fish nor fowl in their current lineup, Sony supports it because it's their SLR mount, but it doesn't provide them with anything resembling a common platform, and Sony's rather in love with common platforms, as long as they're Sony platforms.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:47 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

I guess the upside of there being a 'pro' aps-c NEX, aka NEX7 replacement, is that they'd surely announce at least another 'pro' (Zeiss) lens along with it.

And... That is a good point by Tariq. Sony have never released similar higher end products alongside each other that could potentially compete and split attention. So FF NEX is just a dream, we should probably stop talking about it, it's not healthy ;-)

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:54 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

Wow. After the Zeiss 135/2 announcement, if we get a FF NEX, I am going to suspect that I was in a car accident or something like it and this is all some sort of wish-fulfilling coma dream I'm having.

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:10 PM
super_paws

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

This might be a long shot..

Does this rumour have anything to do with the Zeiss ZM surprise at Photokina 2012? I've always suspected a digital Ikon from Zeiss, and I'm thinking this might be it. The silver film Ikon was discontinued in March 2012, if that's any relevance.

There has been a few key points that have led me to this:
- Sony and Zeiss having a strong partnership in the Sony A-mount industry
- introduction of focus peaking on NEX cameras
- built-in EVF on the NEX-7 (and NEX-6), in a rangefinder-esque configuration

I'm not sure if anything else could make Steve Huff this hyped.

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:42 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

super_paws wrote:
This might be a long shot..

Does this rumour have anything to do with the Zeiss ZM surprise at Photokina 2012? I've always suspected a digital Ikon from Zeiss, and I'm thinking this might be it. The silver film Ikon was discontinued in March 2012, if that's any relevance.

There has been a few key points that have led me to this:
- Sony and Zeiss having a strong partnership in the Sony A-mount industry
- introduction of focus peaking on NEX cameras
- built-in EVF on the NEX-7 (and NEX-6), in a rangefinder-esque configuration

I'm not sure if anything else could make Steve Huff this
...Show more

We wish but it's claimed to be a NEX Pro body which would mean an NEX mount, not M mount. The digital Zeiss Ikon will have an M mount for sure. Of course, any NEX can use ZM adapted lenses.

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:11 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

I've been wondering of Zeiss(Sony)will ever do a FF Ikon, my guess is not untill FF cmos sensors can do WA RF lenses without issues, and even then, the menu would have to be 100X easier to use.
So not this year anyways.

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:52 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

Perhaps the upcoming Leica M10 will hold the answer as to what progress, if any, has been made with FF sensors and WA RF lens compatibility. If the M10 uses a Sony sensor that's more compatible, I suspect we will see a number of short flange, FF cameras...hopefully including a Zeiss Ikon D.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:07 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

I thought Sony E-mount hole diameter is not large enough to support FF sensor?
If it is FF then they would have to have an M mount.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:24 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

wayne seltzer wrote:
I thought Sony E-mount hole diameter is not large enough to support FF sensor?
If it is FF then they would have to have an M mount.

Throat size of the E-mount is 46.1mm, bigger than M mount (44mm). It's also known that Sony would come out with a FF NEX camcorder (not Super35). So Sony already put a FF sensor into an E-mount body. The question is when we are going to have a FF NEX camera.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:29 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Perhaps the upcoming Leica M10 will hold the answer as to what progress, if any, has been made with FF sensors and WA RF lens compatibility. If the M10 uses a Sony sensor that's more compatible, I suspect we will see a number of short flange, FF cameras...hopefully including a Zeiss Ikon D.

In this case I don't see how M10 could sell well.
If I have a choice and can get a mirrorless FF camera to put my M glass on, I would never buy an M10. No way.
The only reason to get it for me is the FF sensor. I think I'll wait either way, even if the mysterious NEX is not FF.
You're probably right, a FF mirrorless NEX is coming, the only question - now or in 2013?
I think there must be some connection - Zeiss mystery ZM lens, Zeiss new mirrorless line, unknown "pro" NEX....
BTW M10 has to be really exceptional. There is way too much competition now and if they make
another lowrez LCD joke or anything of this nature, they'll get absolutely smashed.
Also they really need to start paying attention, M lenses are widely available today, any lens you want
you can get today. Their Hermes editions based business model has to change....

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:43 PM
cbreiland
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

My guess (dream?) is Zeiss will be making FF coverage mirrorless lenses that can AF on multiple mounts, but will cost prohibitive so they don't directly compete native lenses ranges.

More reasonably I wonder if there will be a weathersealed Nex 9 w/ 16-50 2.8 E-Mount kit lens combo.

Sep 08, 2012 at 07:23 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

Hmm. A Zeiss Ikon w/ Sony internals. E-mount natively, with (I would assume, included in the package price) an M-mount adapter. It'd have to be full-frame. EVF only? or hybrid? Rangefinder coupling certainly wouldn't be involved.

I'd put that as an outside possibility.

Here's a thought: PDAF-coupled optical viewfinder. It's electromechanically focused based on the PDAF sensors. So you can put it in AF mode, or MF mode and focus using the optical viewfinder, or perhaps flip the VF to electronic mode and use peaking / zoom.

Given what I've heard about the lens-sensitivity of PDAF-on-sensor, however, I'd find it unlikely something like that could be made to work with all existing M-mount lenses (or even all the ZM ones). Just a crazy idea.

Sep 08, 2012 at 07:29 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

hiepphotog wrote:
Throat size of the E-mount is 46.1mm, bigger than M mount (44mm). It's also known that Sony would come out with a FF NEX camcorder (not Super35). So Sony already put a FF sensor into an E-mount body. The question is when we are going to have a FF NEX camera.

The length of my car is 4.7m - that does not mean that I can get a 4.5m long wooden plank inside it...

Even though the outer diameter is 46mm, you then have 2mm flange wings (the "grip" parts of the flange mount that the lens needs to lock in) and almost 1mm for the tube wall. That's slightly less than 6mm gone already there...
But 40mm wouldn't really be a problem either - the problem is the electrical contacts. The ABSOLUTE maximum outer diameter of the rearmost lens element in an E-mount camera is about 34.5mm - if you want to get close to the flange surface.

This wouldn't be a problem either, until you look at the register distance. The Nikon F mount is just as narrow in a practical real-life mechanical construction PoV - but in a F-mount lens you can ALWAYS know that the last lens element will be at least 38mm in front of the sensor surface (the min. BFD or "mirror clearance"). In the E-mount, that measurement is 18mm or even less.

Now take a fairly relaxed "easy" focal length of 35mm - say an F2.0 lens. In this lens (if you build it almost symmetrical, like the -M lenses), the inner part of the exit pupil on the innermost lens surface will be almost exactly at the optical center of the lens. So the light would then need to travel 18mm inwards and at the same time travel more than 22mm sideways - that's a 40º ray angle. The current sensors get into big trouble at about 20º, HALF of that angle.

This means that you would HAVE to build all wide angle lenses (and all fast mid-focal length lenses) with a fair bit of retrofocality, doubling the size of the lens bodies and certainly increasing the build BOM price by somewhere around 50-100%.

Look at the Zeiss 24/1.8 that's specifically built for the E-mount. It's fairly large for a 24mm lens, even though it's planned for APS-only use. Now take that outer dimension and multiply it by 1.5, and you have a general idea about how big the same 24/1.8 would have to be to get acceptable corner performance on a FF NEX.

Sep 08, 2012 at 08:48 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

Thank you for the technical explanation. I do understand the limitations of the E-mount system. The question is whether it's possible to fit a full frame sensor in. Sony already shows that the VG-900 is going to be a full frame NEX camcorder. My intended purpose for this full frame camera would be a digital back for my SLR lenses, so whether Sony can come up with a native lens for this FF is irrelevant.

Sep 08, 2012 at 09:14 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

Thanks Suede for the explanation.
I remember the last time Sony FF rumors were flying around in a forum thread, that E-mount is not really made for FF. I forgot it is the combination of flange distance and throat diameter which make FF lens and sensor combo not practical.

Sep 08, 2012 at 10:06 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · NEX PRO announcment on Sept. 12th ?

theSuede knows his stuff but http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/ has such a great track record with their rumors. Is it possible that Sony has engineered a solution that allows more clearance for FF while keeping backward compatibility with e-mount?

Sep 08, 2012 at 10:14 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.