New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

pjbishop
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

Just received a new pack of the Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta - the whole pack is badly curled. After several rejections by the front feeder of the R3000, I put a sheet though a workout and got the printer to take it, but it still got slapped with ink all along the edge. I'll try the thick media setting, but probably will send the pack back.

It's too bad such a superior paper is sent out the door in this condition by the manufacturer. There are reports by other people on this severe curling. I was trying the R3000 with several reflective papers and the the H by H GB completely outclassed the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk (which did lie virtuously flat on the tray) for tonal discrimination and color. What's the problem with the Harman/Hahnemuhle?

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:56 PM
xvvvz

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

I have had similar problems. Are you in a high humidity environment? If so, I think a significant humidity differential compared to the factory environment can amplify the curling problem (especially for the sheets in the middle of the stack the are only exposed to the humid air along the edges.

Sep 07, 2012 at 06:41 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

Hi there, xvvz. Yes, I'm in a humid environment, but the pack, in a box, mummified inside more boxes, was just delivered. I've dealt with curl in the Harman baryta paper before, but it wasn't as bad, and my previous printer used a different path that was a little more forgiving- you could pretty much bend your way out of edge strikes. I'm dismayed now because I really like the quality of the paper but it's pretty much unusable in this condition (unless, maybe, you apply a dampening process to the paper that is tedious and chancy).

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:48 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

Great

I just picked up a 17x25 box of Gloss Baryta and am seeing some curl (70% RH; in New England) so I'll be somewhat annoyed to trash it due to edge strikes. We'll see; maybe some slight decurling or so right before printing. PITA

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:32 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

Hi, Howard, would like to hear back on whether your decurling works well enough for printing.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:37 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

Sure. It'll probably be a few days before that happens. I will say that an 8.5x11 test print (of the *old* FBAI material) did have a trailing edge strike even w/ a 4-5 thickness and wider gap on a 3800 which was surprising.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:45 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

I'm getting ink slapped all along the open long side using the front 'art paper' feed in the R3000, this after I spent some time trying to decurl the paper.

Sep 08, 2012 at 07:37 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

Wow, I have never had this problem. Wasn’t the paper packed wrapped in plastic? Seems like humidity should have a minimal effect on the paper before unpacking.

I have it on a 36 inch roll, and 320 g/m² baryta certainly isn’t the easiest paper to decurl after printing. But my box of 17 x 25 inch is near perfectly flat.

Brian A

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:54 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

I have letter-size, 11" X 17", and 13" X 19" for use on my 13" printer. The larger sheets are pretty much OK. The 8.5 X 11s are the problem. They have a problem with curl, but this latest box seems worse - it looks like the batch was chopped entire from from a pile of larger sheets.

The paper came wrapped in plastic, in the manufacturer's box, taped inside larger cardboard bookends, inside a large, buffered box. It was badly curled on opening. Humidity doesn't seem to work its way through the wrappings of the Epson Exhibition Fiber or the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk. I have to wonder about Hahnemuhle's quality control.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:45 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

increasing of suction wont help? It fixes my issues with thick fine art papers on rolls
suction setup in default profiles is quite conservative

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:38 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

pjbishop wrote:
I have letter-size, 11" X 17", and 13" X 19" for use on my 13" printer. The larger sheets are pretty much OK. The 8.5 X 11s are the problem. They have a problem with curl, but this latest box seems worse - it looks like the batch was chopped entire from from a pile of larger sheets.

The paper came wrapped in plastic, in the manufacturer's box, taped inside larger cardboard bookends, inside a large, buffered box. It was badly curled on opening. Humidity doesn't seem to work its way through the wrappings of the Epson Exhibition Fiber or
...Show more
I have noticed that the Harman papers aren’t as well packed as they were before Hahnemühle took over distribution. When I cut down larger sheets to A4, they do tend to exhibit some curl after printing, but not before printing.

Brian A

Sep 08, 2012 at 09:18 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Badly curled Harman by H Gloss Baryta

Sorry to delay so long getting back to the subject.

Brian A. wrote:

"I have noticed that the Harman papers aren’t as well packed as they were before Hahnemühle took over distribution."

I just noticed that the thick piece of cardboard at the bottom of the box is considerably shorter than the paper - in other words, the papers protrude maybe .4 inch past the cardboard support. Perhaps that circumstance contributes to the curl.

I'm doing as another poster does and weighting the paper ( a few sheets at a time) under fiberboard - that does seem to straighten it out. What a bother.

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:13 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.