Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Multi-roll cyclorama suggestions

Grend

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Multi-roll cyclorama suggestions

I have access to a nice studio space and would like to install a cyclorama system that can handle 2-3 rolls at a time. The studio is fairly wide, and the ceiling is about 15ft, so the system should be able to handle at least an 11ft wide roll. Subjects will mostly be full-length, environmental portraits.

I don't have a huge budget, but at the same time, I want to buy quality and do this once, so recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:57 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Multi-roll cyclorama suggestions

Manfrotto's EXPAN system easily handles three or six rolls and attaches quite nicely to their autopoles. Those can be pressure-mounted floor-to-ceiling or set on optional stands. You can get a pair of Autopoles, the three-background holder with SuperClamps, and three EXPAN drives for <410.00. If you're using paper, the optional Background Paper Counterweights are recommended. Also, having used this system extensively I suggest (particularly for heavier backgrounds) you consider swapping out the included plastic chain for the optional metal ones. More expensive but IMO worth it. YMMV.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Sep 07, 2012 at 04:54 PM
Grend

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Multi-roll cyclorama suggestions

Thanks henry. I just watched a couple you-tube videos on this system, and it does seem like a good solution. If I'm willing to stretch the budget to $1-2K, are there other products I should also consider? I definitely want something super-rugged and able to handle daily use and abuse by assistants.

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:14 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Multi-roll cyclorama suggestions

While there are certainly other options IMO the EXPAN is the genre leader, and for good reason. BTW, depending on your space you can sink the holders into the studs and skip the autopoles (and save 6-12 inces of space too).

The Savage Multiple Polevault System (Mfr # 63151) is simpler, less expensive and more portable but IMO while it's good for paper it won't handle any type of cloth.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:05 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Multi-roll cyclorama suggestions

Bolt the Expan to the wall. Put another at a 90 degree angle on teh next wall for a second set.

You can spend more on a motorized version, but really it is not worth it. It is simpler to just roll them manually.

Sep 20, 2012 at 04:20 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password