Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

StephanieTo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

I remembered when I booked my wedding photographer, she sent over her contract a few days in advance of us meeting which helped save some time since we do read over contracts that we sign. Is that something worth doing? Do you usually just present the contract when you meet and they want to book? What do you find works better for you?

Sep 07, 2012 at 10:30 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

Sounds like a good idea - manages expectations and lets them know you expect them to book in the meeting. Smart.

- trr

Sep 07, 2012 at 10:32 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

It's a good practice. It saves reading time, and allows them to form any questions prior to meeting without any pressure.

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:04 AM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

I find walking through the contract in person better. I doubt many people would read two pages of stipulations, and I don't want to be getting email questions, when a simple in-person discussion clears all concerns on the spot. My agreement is written in plain English, and still, I find it far preferable to talk through it. It takes the stress out of it, and also encourages discussion about expectations and roles/responsibilities.

BTW, for the few instances where I've forwarded the contract prior to person-to-person meeting, I do it in PDF. Send the Word file and you open yourself to clients re-writing/editing your contract, which I really, really don't want.

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:16 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

Clients only get flattened PDFs from me as well... signed or not.

I have found that sending a copy the night or two before a consultation is easier. In most cases, the consultation only carries the, "have you read the contract, and do you have any questions?" To which I get "yes, and no" 99% of the time. Doesn't get any faster than that really. I've never gotten an email back with questions about the contract. Those that have asked questions have always done it in person. And, usually the questions I get in person are very simple. (reiterations of deliverables)

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:59 AM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

I'm a believer in not doing anything businessy like that before the sale. For years now my clients get their contracts from me after they've placed their retainers.

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:22 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

I've never sent the contract prior to meeting. I go through the contract at the consult line by line, and field any questions they may have. I really don't like to do anything as formally business-y before I have a chance to build a rapport with the potential clients.

The contract talk usually happens near the end of the initial consult. After I've already decided if I want to book them or not.

Sep 07, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

TheGE wrote:
I'm a believer in not doing anything businessy like that before the sale. For years now my clients get their contracts from me after they've placed their retainers.

My wife (attorney) wont pay no retainers until she has read the contract .

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:35 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

Maybe we should do a poll of how long everyone's been in business.

Sep 08, 2012 at 12:02 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
I've never sent the contract prior to meeting. I go through the contract at the consult line by line

I just give them the contract at the end of the meeting and they take it home with them to read it. I don't go over it with them.

Sep 08, 2012 at 12:52 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

Always go through it right before they pay the fee so I explain friendly the cold lines of a contract in a friendly way, if something not substantial or important has to be tuned I may do it, I used to send them by email and gave me a little problems from time to time as reading a contract may generate a buying-a-house feeling (if you know what I mean).

Reading the contract only takes 20 minutes (not big deal).

Jaime

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:39 AM
bthatton
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

I have an extremely thorough contract that frequently involves back and forth before signing. I wait until the client gives a nice strong green light before I unleash it.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:34 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

contract is sent after meeting, before booking. No businessery on first meet.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:48 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

I send contract after first meet. After they sign, retainer is due same time as signing. I am booked once both are met.

Sep 09, 2012 at 08:30 AM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Client consultation - send contract in advance?

Robin Usagani wrote:
My wife (attorney) wont pay no retainers until she has read the contract .

I've had several lawyers as clients. Not once have they insisted on seeing any contracts first. It's probably because it's not about the contract. They're already committed to me before a contract gets rolled out. So that paperwork acts as a memorializing of the agreement, along with stating my terms. And because I don't have oppressive or punitive or outrageous terms there's nothing a reasonable person who's committed to having me as their photographer to object to.

Sep 10, 2012 at 08:36 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.