Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)
  
 
zalmyb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


This is my first wedding I'm posting for the masses here. I know there are a lot of photos, I have multiple image disorder.

While I'd love some C&C, I do realize that there are too many photos for that. But I would like an overall feeling of what I missed, what I got, and how I could have done a lot better. Also I like telling the wedding story in the blog post (as of now, I'm still beginning, so I'd like people to see how I photograph a whole wedding), but I do think there are too many photos. Any tips on cutting down, or which ones in specific to leave out?

My critique:
2. Should have spent more time on getting better light for the formals (not necessarily with flash, just getting better angles and positions)
1. My flashwork sucks (to put it mildly). I could probably fly a plane better than I could properly light anything. I'm in the process of fixing that.

2. I was quite nervous (first wedding getting paid decently...), so I shot a lot how I've seen others shoot, instead of shooting how I like to shoot.

Here goes:

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

10.

11.

12.

13.

14.

15.

16.

17.

18.

19.

20.

21.

22.

23.

24.

25.

26.

27.

28.

29.

30.

31.

32.

33.

34.

35.

36.

37.

38.

39.

40.

41.

42.

43.

44.

45.

46.

47.

48.

49.

50.

51.

52.

53.

54.

55.

56.

57.

58.

59.

60.

61.

62.

63.

64.

65.

66.

67.

68.

69.

70.

71.

72.

73.


Thanks for looking!!



Sep 06, 2012 at 08:19 PM
hardlyboring
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


So Zalmy my man.....!
Dude these are pretty sweet for sure...
a couple things....

Always shoot how YOU want to shoot no matter what. You are a killer shooter and people will appreciate your vision, trust me.

These are just things I observed looking through the set.
1. The order or shots looks kinds mixed up towards the end. Not sure if that is the flow of this wedding or what.
2. You are showing to many pictures. I think with less shots you could put together a KILLER set. The set is great now you just have some shots in there that are only so so ... good to deliver but maybe not for the blog.
3. Your flash skills are fine. You may not be the best technically (like Baines) but your flash is situationally correct for the wedding.
4. Movement, feeling, expression, simple portraits, all amazing.

Is this all film? If so its solid really solid.

I hope you keep doing weddings in the Zalmy B fashion for a long time. I also hope you can eventually come shoot with me or I can come shoot with you



Sep 06, 2012 at 10:02 PM
zalmyb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


Thanks Doug!

I'm not so sure about the order, they eat, dance, eat, dance, eat, dance, dance, dance.
I know I have to post less, I just don't know what to cut... I should just do a hard cull and get over it.
Actually my flash skills suck. Believe me. I got enough decent shots, but I wasn't getting what I wanted.

the portraits and ceremony are all film, indoor is mostly digital (once I get a better handle on flash, I'll be shooting more film indoors).

I hope so too. On both counts



Sep 07, 2012 at 03:02 AM
hardlyboring
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


Well I am not that familiar with what I would call "very jewish" weddings. I have done a few jewish weddings but they were not like that. So the order might be just how you laid it out here and I am just not familiar with it which is totally cool.

What kind of look do you want to accomplish with your lights at the reception? I am no master but would be glad to offer any advice I could! G+ for that def!




Sep 07, 2012 at 03:37 AM
ShaneMD
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


Zalmy, you are incredibly talented. I always enjoy your posts and wish you shot a TON more Sunday weddings. There are a lot of photos and a hard cull probably would help a bit. It certainly is your style though, the story teller. It's who you are.

Jewish peeps sure know how to party. Looked like a TON of fun.



Sep 07, 2012 at 05:53 AM
ricardovaste
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


I found it reassuring to know even YOU get nervous :-). Soon after jumping into the set I could see that this was full of your signature, what you do - excellent. I'm sure they're very happy. You have some excellent moments, expressions, compositions, all great to see. A couple of thoughts:

1) On quantity. I'm bad at this as well, showing too much, but I think I'm improving. I've found that doing an album design can definitely help, it can make you see what you really need to tell the story effectively. It might sound odd, but this has also made me appreciate/utalise wide angle at times, as I've often found these images can give a real structure to a series, and sum up many different moments and emotions in one - this is a generalisation of course. On my last set I actually made an album whilst processing the set together - it made me think differently... Not great for workflow, so it was more just an experiment more than anything. Of course, it can depend on style as well. I think some people's work has more of an accumulative effect, and so can almost need more images to have the full impact - this doesn't mean it's 'not as good' or failed in some area. It's just how you experience it.
2) I think the groups are solid as ever, some of the individual portraits could have been lit a little better here, but you acknowledge that yourself.
3) I think the flash work in the evening is fine as well. My one comment is that there is a lot of rear sync in there, and not everyone likes this, so it might be good to add an OCF or two for variety. I like it, but not everyone does all the time.

Looks like a lot of fun!



Sep 07, 2012 at 08:15 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Beni
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


Mate, are any of these in focus? Seems like a whole lot of soft/OOF shots, especially in the portraits where it is a no no, the groom portrait seems to have a lot of photoshop blur (probably in an attempt to recover sharpness) which is really noticeable. Also, in a dress like that (I've been shooting Jewish weddings for 10 years) you should stand the bride up for the formals, sitting it's just billowing up around her and making her look larger. Fill flash for the formals also needs work.

Lighting for these style of weddings is usually lights on in the hall rather than what we are more used to seeing here which is romantic lighting (dark as a coal miners butt crack), you get caught in a no win situation of shoot how it was and have little directional light or do funky lighting and it won't look anything like how it actually was. It's a tough one but I can't see any problem with how you coped with it. The dragged shutter is cool but it kinda looks like it wasn't that intentional here, you shooting at a 1/60 with high iso by any chance?



Sep 07, 2012 at 09:13 AM
dsouzl
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


I like what you've captured and I'm sure your clients will be happy.

A couple of obersvations...

Your DOF on some of your portrait shots is too shallow. This is apparent in 1, 5b, and 6.

I prefer the family shots in #4 over the shots in 2, 3, and 5. In #4 there is a better sense of connection.

I don't see any shots of the Ketubah. This is usually a very colourful and ornate document that is central to Jewish weddings.

Is #9 the breaking of the plate ceremony by the 2 mothers? I would have prefered a triptych with multiple shots of this.

The shots of the Bedecken are really well done. I like the moments and expressions you've captured.

The ceremony shots are good. I would have liked to see a wide angle shot that included the entire Chuppah and the guests.

The reception shots are good. I like the movement and the feel of the images. I would have liked to have seen a couple of wide angle shots of the Grooms side of the room and the Bride's side individually.

These kinds of receptions are a bugger to light. The dance floor is generally crazy so it's a challenge to get a decent shot without being knocked over! I usually try to back-light or side-light with on-camera fill when shooting Jewish receptions.

Overall, I think you did a good job.





Sep 07, 2012 at 01:20 PM
zalmyb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


ShaneMD wrote:
Zalmy, you are incredibly talented. I always enjoy your posts and wish you shot a TON more Sunday weddings. There are a lot of photos and a hard cull probably would help a bit. It certainly is your style though, the story teller. It's who you are.

Jewish peeps sure know how to party. Looked like a TON of fun.


awww thanks Shane. I wish I shot more also... I'll get there.

And yes, it was quite fun



Sep 10, 2012 at 03:57 AM
zalmyb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


ricardovaste wrote:
I found it reassuring to know even YOU get nervous :-). Soon after jumping into the set I could see that this was full of your signature, what you do - excellent. I'm sure they're very happy. You have some excellent moments, expressions, compositions, all great to see. A couple of thoughts:

1) On quantity. I'm bad at this as well, showing too much, but I think I'm improving. I've found that doing an album design can definitely help, it can make you see what you really need to tell the story effectively. It might sound odd, but this has also
...Show more

I think you think I'm better than I am...

1. interesting, maybe I'll try that.

2. Individual portraits is the worst part of my repertoire. Even worse than OCF.

3. I agree, and my attempts at OCF failed pretty hard.



Sep 10, 2012 at 03:59 AM
zalmyb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


Beni wrote:
Mate, are any of these in focus? Seems like a whole lot of soft/OOF shots, especially in the portraits where it is a no no, the groom portrait seems to have a lot of photoshop blur (probably in an attempt to recover sharpness) which is really noticeable. Also, in a dress like that (I've been shooting Jewish weddings for 10 years) you should stand the bride up for the formals, sitting it's just billowing up around her and making her look larger. Fill flash for the formals also needs work.

Lighting for these style of weddings is usually lights on
...Show more

There are a few yes (I assume you're referring mostly to some of the portraits?). Photoshop blur?! That's the devil (photoshop that is). I only go there when I absolutely have to (the first pic had her whites of her eyes whitened, but that's it).

Good tip on the bride standing.

The dragged shutter was intentional, but I may have overused it. (I like it because thats what a wedding feels like...)



Sep 10, 2012 at 04:02 AM
zalmyb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rachel + Yitzi // Wedding. (lot of photos)


dsouzl wrote:
I like what you've captured and I'm sure your clients will be happy.

A couple of obersvations...

Your DOF on some of your portrait shots is too shallow. This is apparent in 1, 5b, and 6.

I prefer the family shots in #4 over the shots in 2, 3, and 5. In #4 there is a better sense of connection.

I don't see any shots of the Ketubah. This is usually a very colourful and ornate document that is central to Jewish weddings.

Is #9 the breaking of the plate ceremony by the 2 mothers? I would have prefered a triptych with multiple shots of
...Show more

Thanks.

Agree with the too shallow, it's hard to resist.

The Kesubah at Orthodox weddings is usually quite plain. Holy, yes. Intricately designed, usually not.

Good call on the triptych, I'll do that in the album.

There is actually one roll still at the lab which has the wide angle shots...

I like shooting wide and close, but the fall off with direct flash is a bit intense... back and fill is fine though. It;s somethign I really have to work on/figure out.

Thanks everyone for the solid input. I love this place!



Sep 10, 2012 at 04:05 AM





FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password