New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

Robert White in the UK has confirmed they have stock of the new Voigtlander f2.8 Colour Skopar SLII

Anyone seen any test shots or reviews?

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:00 PM
joxang
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

Had this samples page bookmarked, but not seen anything else.
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/lens_review/20120524_534810.html

If this is as sharp and contrasty as the 40mm, would make an excellent complement to that lens.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:09 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

It seems it has very pleasant oof rendering.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:19 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

Has anyone on FM gotten one to try yet? I see they are in stock at Cameraquest and available through Lensrentals.com, but it's hard to find examples/reviews from anyone who has tried the lens.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:08 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

Lloyd Chambers tested it in october. I don't think I will get one. (after seeing the full test in the subscription section).

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20121013_4-Zeiss28f2-vs-compared-CottonwoodCanyonFallColor.html

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20121013_5-Nikon28f1_8G-compared-CottonwoodCanyonFallColor.html

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:51 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

It looks like a nice lens, esp. for the bokeh and color, but the corner softness and CA tell me that you're better off with something like a Contax 28/2.8 or Oly 28/3.5 for landscapes or architecture. It looks like Voigtländer cut too many corners again to achieve good all-round performance, like with their 20/3.5.

Edited on May 08, 2013 at 11:38 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:48 AM
mohawk51

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

I've got no complaints about this lens or the 40/F2 Ultron. I've looked at slides with a 8X loupe and saw no corner softness on either lens. I shoot normally at F8 on both. Love the lightweight feel of these lenses and don't miss the weight of the Nikkors at all. The build of these lenses kick Nikon's "plastic wonders" butts. The aspherical element on both does it's job very well. What's not to like?They both look sexy on an F3 & F2.

May 08, 2013 at 08:31 AM
jj birder
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

http://www.lenstip.com/369.1-Lens_review-Voigtlander_Color_Skopar_28_mm_f_2.8_SL_II_Introduction.html

May 08, 2013 at 09:35 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

AhamB wrote:
It looks like a nice lens, esp. for the bokeh and color, but the corner softness and CA tell me that you're better off with something like a Contax 28/2.8 or Oly 28/3.5 for landscapes or architecture. It looks like Voigtländer took too many corners again to achieve good all-round performance, like with their 20/3.5.

...especially if you're shooting stopped-down, there's little point at spending so much on a compromised lens like that. The CV 20 really does little well beyond controlling flare, and the 28 from Lloyd Chamber's analysis seems along those lines but not as challenged. Probably fine for a crop sensor camera but surely not worth the cost.

mohawk51 wrote:
I shoot normally at F8.... Love the lightweight feel of these lenses and don't miss the weight of the Nikkors at all. The build of these lenses kick Nikon's "plastic wonders" butts.

Then the venerable Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS (used) is half the price and easily its match.

May 08, 2013 at 10:48 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

+1 for the Nikon AIS 28mm f2.8. One of my favorites and lord knows I have a lot of 28's.

May 08, 2013 at 05:54 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

ebrandon wrote:
....lord knows I have a lot of 28's.

It's not a sin.

Bona fidé gearhead sins:

Sold a DMR and Leica R 280 to be first in line for a Sigma SD-1..........sin
Owning 3 NOCT Nikkors as a 'collector'..............................................sin
#3 on waiting list for Hasselblad Lunar................................................sin

May 08, 2013 at 06:01 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

j.liam wrote:
Then the venerable Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS (used) is half the price and easily its match.

While the 28/2.8 AI-S is fantastic for closeups, the boarders and corners are quite bad at infinity.

May 09, 2013 at 06:15 AM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

Not sure theyre 'bad' but clearly corners at infinity are not a strength, as appears to be the case with the CV28. The Nikkor 28/2 does much better at infinity.

May 09, 2013 at 07:06 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

Nikon guru Bjorn Rorslett has short pithy reviews, upon which I got hold of a 28/2 AI-S, very nice lens bought in the but end days of my Nikon period. I liked its look, until I saw what the CY 28/2.8 produced. He also notes the infinity weakness of the 28/2.8 AI-S.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html

j.liam, those are not mere sins but war crimes.

May 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM
BrendanSeabroo

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

I managed to pick one up on the buy/sell here for $450.00 and I very much like it.

I use a crop so I'm having none of the problems others seem to be having.

There is another currently up for $460 (canon mount) as well as a very cheap CV 40mm f2 Ultron which I also recommend.

May 11, 2013 at 01:04 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

j.liam wrote:
#3 on waiting list for Hasselblad Lunar................................................sin

May 11, 2013 at 03:23 AM
mohawk51

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

j.liam wrote:
...especially if you're shooting stopped-down, there's little point at spending so much on a compromised lens like that. The CV 20 really does little well beyond controlling flare, and the 28 from Lloyd Chamber's analysis seems along those lines but not as challenged. Probably fine for a crop sensor camera but surely not worth the cost.

I had the Nikkor 28/F2.8 AIS. I don't think it's a match at all. The Nikkor is designed to be good at close to mid distances. That's what it was designed for. It sucks at infinity. I mean don't you buy a wide angle to be good at foreground to infinity when needed? I sold my Nikkor as soon as I got the Voigt.

Jan 15, 2016 at 03:33 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Voigtlander 28mm SLII is out

I had the Nikkor 28/F2.8 AIS. I don't think it's a match at all. The Nikkor is designed to be good at close to mid distances. That's what it was designed for. It sucks at infinity. I mean don't you buy a wide angle to be good at foreground to infinity when needed? I sold my Nikkor as soon as I got the Voigt.

As you've mentioned, the Nikkor is optimized for near-macro distances--'close up' is where it really is a marvel of its time (1981)--; at best, it's unremarkable at infinity. "Suck" is a tad harsh. In fact, it is still available NEW from Nikon.

Personally, I used a Nikkor 28/2 for years which was a bit too 'glowy' at ƒ/2 (though superior for infinity compared to the ƒ/2.8) and ZF 2/28 that I found neither easy to use (strong vignetting and FC) nor as sharp as was claimed. Very nice colors and great for infinity, though. I was so disappointed with the CV 20 that upon hearing the 28 shared its design priorities, promptly canceled my order for the latter (which reminds me I still have a credit with Cameraquest!!).

After a long search, I ended up with a Leica R 28 Elmarit v.2. Completely different league....along with the 28 (equiv)/2.8 on my Ricoh GR.

Jan 16, 2016 at 08:55 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.