Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

melcat wrote:
I find the existing ZE-style non-rubberised ones quite unpleasant to use.

Same here... I'm not a fan of that cheap, tacky 1960's Pentax Takumar metal finish. Adding then rubber grip will make a huge improvement; hopefully they will update the rest of the Zeiss line to match.

Sep 07, 2012 at 01:35 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

Johnny B Goode wrote:
I hope it costs more than $2000 otherwise I'm gonna be kicking myself for ordering a 50 1.4 off the b&s.

Most of the predictions on the Alt Gear forum has the price up around $3000. Yikes!
If this is going to be for their "premium line" than it surely will be more expensive than there 21f2.8 and 35f1.4 which are over $1800.

Sep 07, 2012 at 02:31 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

Fred Miranda wrote:
"Thanks to a newly developed optical design, this lens is superior to conventional full-frame lenses, and it achieves with powerful full-frame, full-format cameras an image performance that until now has only been seen with medium-format systems."

It sounds like they are referring to high MP full frame cameras from more than one manufacturer. The only current camera that seems to fit the "powerful full-frame" and "medium-format" comparison is the Nikon D800. Maybe they know what Canon has in store for us? Just speculation I know.

Sep 07, 2012 at 02:36 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

Johnny B Goode wrote:
I hope it costs more than $2000 otherwise I'm gonna be kicking myself for ordering a 50 1.4 off the b&s.

You should be kicking yourself anyway as the Sigma 50 f1.4 is superb and AF is very accurate on the 5D III with spot AF.

Sep 08, 2012 at 08:18 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

Zeiss releasing a new line of very-high-end glass sounds to me totally logical. It is obvious to all Leica-watchers that demand to very-high-performance lenses has gone up, maybe in connection with newly-rich countries. So it only stands to reason that Zeiss would like a share of that pie, in a niche where today there are no players for DSLR, except maybe such rarties as the Coastal Optics 60mm. The fact that DSLRs, such as the D800 twins, are getting better at enjoying lens qualities ad at displaying their shortcomings only makes that case more compelling. With high-Mp count cameras differences wil show more clearly.

Sep 08, 2012 at 08:43 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

Zeiss makes a lot of lenses for different segments of the optics market. Zeiss has fir quite some tome made Cinema kenses. I don't imagine that they want to lose that market which has evolved into a multi standard Video panorama.

This new lens series could well be for video use (Canon DSLR video variations and such) or a sub model derived from a dedicated line of "Designed for Video" Lenses. Note the broad MF ring a primary requirement for Cine/Video (in the big time shows they have an "operator" to frame and a 1st Assistant Cameraman to "pull focus").

Sep 09, 2012 at 04:42 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

I don't know the difference between a 50mm Planar and a 50mm Distagon.

Sep 09, 2012 at 09:59 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

Man there's much more a following toanusl focus than I thought!

Sep 09, 2012 at 10:24 PM
phuang3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

It seems no one talk about the new look of this Zeiss.
The look is modern, and so similiar to SONY ZA series.
Have you noticed that no grooves on focus ring?

Edited on Sep 10, 2012 at 05:03 AM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2012 at 01:21 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

phuang3 wrote:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/Buzz/Zeiss55.jpg

Is seems no one talk about the new look of this Zeiss.
The look is modern, and so similiar to SONY ZA series.
Have you noticed that no grooves on focus ring?

The new 135 f/2 Sonnar APO still has the old look. Perhaps this look is for their premium range.

Sep 10, 2012 at 01:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

SKumar25
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

RobertLynn wrote:
Man there's much more a following toanusl focus than I thought!

What is toanusl?

Sep 10, 2012 at 01:27 AM
MountainTop
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

Yes, what is "to anus l" focus? Does the l stand for luxury?

Sep 10, 2012 at 01:45 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

I'm sure he meant to type "to manual focus", but typing on a small electronic device isn't like using a full size keyboard. That's my guess.

Sep 10, 2012 at 01:48 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

dwweiche wrote:
I'm sure he meant to type "to manual focus", but typing on a small electronic device isn't like using a full size keyboard. That's my guess.

We have a winner.

The device was an iphone.

Sep 10, 2012 at 01:57 AM
Liquidpics
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

Snopchenko wrote:
It looks like a ZA lens to me, but MF

That's why I ignored this announcement initially... it looks like a Sony mount? Where is the nice all metal barrel? Too much plastic to my eyes not liking the new look I agree with another poster it looks cheap.

Sep 10, 2012 at 02:03 AM
Henning

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

I think this lens is aimed more at videographers than still photographers. A Distagon design allows a longer back focus which will enable this lens unit to be mounted on almost any video camera with the right mount. Distagon designs now don't have the earlier problems with distortion and other aberrations; in fact, they can be corrected a lot better over the field and wide open than the double Gauss Planars.

They're just making it available in C & N mounts because a need for a really good 50 (or 55) has arisen because of the D800. This lens is likely to challenge the Leica Summilux ASPH as the best 50 or near 50 f/1.4, and it will likely challenge it in price as well. I think $3000 is optimistic.

Sep 10, 2012 at 02:54 AM
crazeazn
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

3500..82mm filter jesus.

Sep 10, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

Are there any other distagons that aren't wide angles? I don't think I've ever seen a normal Distagon before, but maybe they've done them on medium format lenses.

Sep 10, 2012 at 03:55 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

Henning wrote:
I think $3000 is optimistic.

$3000 for a 55/1.4 distagon is too much. The 35/1.4 distagon is just 1900, and harder to design.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:28 AM
hologon

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina

Jman13 wrote:
Are there any other distagons that aren't wide angles? I don't think I've ever seen a normal Distagon before, but maybe they've done them on medium format lenses.

Well, 55mm to cover a 6x6 image circle is wide angle, and is probably narrow enough that you'd need to go retrofocus. For example, the Hassy 903 SWC's 40mm and 38mm symmetrical Biogon required a fixed lens and a separate viewfinder since you couldn't get the lens element back there with a mirror, gliding or not.

See, e.g., the Rollei 40mm Distagon.

I've heard a hypothesis that this might be designed to compete with the Leica 50 APO-Summicron -- a balls-to-the-wall APO 50.

I don't know if the apochromat corrects better for lateral chromatic aberrations, but that would be well-received for high-MP sensors.

Sep 11, 2012 at 02:58 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password