Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

burychka
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

I apologize if this is old or redundant. I've been away for a while.

It looks like my "version 1" Epson 3800 is dying. A roller or something has started putting a line down the paper even where there is no printing. This printer has suffered a few problems over its life, anyway. For one, it is quite fragile, and that doesn't work in this house. The LCD panel has been broken for a couple years now, and the latch that holds the front panel closed, broke the first month. Besides that, this printer has never produced satisfactory blacks for me. So this roller mark is the last straw--no repairs, just the junkyard.

The one thing I do like about this printer is the large ink cartridges. Of course the 17" wide paper capacity is what I bought it for, so I still need that.

Is there a current printer that you guys have found satisfactory for making large prints? I I am not a professional. have no loyalty to Epson or anyone else. Thanks for your help.

Sep 06, 2012 at 01:54 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

Loving my 3880 for over a year now. No issues, great B&W and Color prints (excellent blacks too).

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:14 PM
burychka
• •
p.1 #3 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

Cphoto1954 wrote:
Loving my 3880 for over a year now. No issues, great B&W and Color prints (excellent blacks too).

Do you know what Epson changed from the 3800 to the 3880? The inks are the same, so I wonder how they would do better blacks. The 3880 is reasonably priced, so that is still an option.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:24 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

Love my Canon IPF 5100

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:33 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #5 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

burychka wrote:
Do you know what Epson changed from the 3800 to the 3880? The inks are the same, so I wonder how they would do better blacks. The 3880 is reasonably priced, so that is still an option.

Epson did a lot of work on the screening algorithms and the way ink is laid down. Lots of improvements in print quality, not that the 800 looked anything other than good. The Vivid Magenta inks also contribute a little to the Dmax improvement (as you probably know, the color inks are used to either neutralize or tone in ABW mode).

As far as alternatives go, Canon is purportedly working on a new 17" printer that should see the light of day in a couple years, but there aren't really any competitors to the 3880. HP never entered the 17" market (and is now out of the 24" and 44" markets it did enter), and Canon's iPF5100 is long in the tooth and you can feel and see it. The 5100 would be roughly analogous to the 3800 (some things better, some things worse) you have now, but the only upward path is another Epson.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:48 PM
burychka
• •
p.1 #6 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

I just looked, and Epson has a $250 rebate on that printer. Amazon sells it for $1,129, so with that rebate it is a pretty good price, especially considering that it comes with about $400 worth of ink (unless Epson has switched to the CS approach of "starter" ink cartridges).

Rebate that big, though, suggests a replacement may be just over the horizon.

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:40 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

there are very frequent rebates so it's not indicative of a new printer. However, Photokina is coming up soon so it might well be prudent to wait until that's over.

Sep 06, 2012 at 05:21 PM
burychka
• •
p.1 #8 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

howardm4 wrote:
there are very frequent rebates so it's not indicative of a new printer. However, Photokina is coming up soon so it might well be prudent to wait until that's over.

Ahh. Great advice. Photokina is Sept 12-23, so if there is not a new printer, there would still be time to buy before 9/30 and get the rebate.

I am officially on hold. Thanks for all the help.
Bill

Sep 06, 2012 at 05:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #9 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

When my E 3800 had/has paper handling problems with the rear feeder... it's only unsolved issue for me..., I really have a desire to drop it out of a moving car at 40MPH onto the front lawn of the Epson building down in Long Beach.
But other than that, it's been decent.

Sep 07, 2012 at 02:49 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #10 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

Better deal on a small printer is the 4900. ItSupplies has it for about $1500 with the current rebate.

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:03 AM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #11 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

kdphotography wrote:
Better deal on a small printer is the 4900.

Totally depends on your needs. If you don't need to print full-bleed or near full-bleed on sheets, and you don't need to make small prints, and you've got the extra room, sure.

Sep 07, 2012 at 07:02 AM
burychka
• •
p.1 #12 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

IT Supplies, an excellent dealer I have used many times, has this caution in the description of the 4900: "If necessary, a lift gate fee of $50 may apply to your order." The 4900 also has things I don't need, like roll paper support, and lacks things I do need, like the ability to print on 4x6 paper. $1,500 after $300 rebate.

The 3880. Looks like Epson has been trying to help dealers unload their stock, as there have been rebates, one after the other, of $250 or $300, since April 1. IT Supplies' price of $1,119 with no sales tax out of state and no shipping charge, less the rebate is $869. With $400 worth of ink included, this looks like a pretty good deal even if it is discontinued. It's still a fragile appliance, in my experience with the 3800, plus the blacks are less than extraordinary, but the ability to print 16x24 on 17x25 paper, is nice.

I'll watch Photokina and see what is announced. The Rebate is good until 9/30.

Sep 07, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

Cphoto1954 wrote:

+1

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:11 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #14 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

OP - The only differences I know of from 3800 to 3880 are that the 3880 repalcesd a few (two?) inks with "Vivid" inks. Plus the head has a better coating (teflon?) to avoid clogging.

I had a 4800-(49xx) series and unless you run it all the time you will most likely have ink clogs due to the fact it is not a pressurized ink system like the 3880.

Not sure why you would not get good blacks unless you are using cheap paper or bad profiles.

I agree that IT supplies is THE place to get one from and that is a great price. If your 3800 inks are not out of date most will work in it.

In all honesty I am VERY picky on my print quality so if a new printer is in the works I'm doubtful that there will be a real noticible difference in quality.

Best of luck to you!

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:13 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Alternative to Epson 38xx series

in case you're not aware of it, itsupplies.com is an alternate corporate entity for atlex.com

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:02 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password