FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Where are we headed..

marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where are we headed..

Our industry changes so quickly in terms of style and business. Where do you
think we are headed in the near future ? Your thoughts.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:24 AM
swoop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where are we headed..

Cameraphones with built in pocketwizards. Or at the very least a hotshoe.

"Trash the Dress" is going to get riskier. Trash the dress running with the bulls. Trash the dress skydiving. Trash the dress washing off baby seals in oil spills.

Photographers will start turning down couples who don't get married in mansions or castles. VFW's across the country go bankrupt.

"Film like" filters will hit mainstream and real film will become a must. Couples will demand coverage in film and negatives because wedding magazines say they must.

The Canon t6i and Nikon D14000 are full frame. There will be an explosion in new wedding photographers now that they can do "that blurry background thing."

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:28 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where are we headed..

marti, i think your use of 'our' and 'we' implies that the wedding industry is united or bonded together in some way. is there a photography organization that sets styles? prices?

i love the freedom of the wedding industry. we are able to produce any type of images we want and sell them for any amount that we want...as individuals. i truly believe that the guy down the street charging $1500 for full day coverage has no impact on my business. i also believe that the guy charging $12K has zero impact on my vision/approach.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:41 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where are we headed..

Style is more of a collective need than what we set and more something that resonates within that collective need that we as capitalists try to capitalize on. The vintage and Instagram movement of the last several years has more to do with the fact that society is insecure because of the recession and the fact we just leapt into a new century (people are obsessed with numbers and how many years do we hear of the world ending....especially around 2000-2012). Seeing yourself in a vintage photo makes the person feel like they're immortal and will survive uncertain times. My work has moved away from anything vintage into more of a classical, non-styled feel. I'm trying strip any styles from my work simply because I want my clients to look at their images in 20 years and think it looks great rather than "charming" because it looks 2010's. But I do see people moving into much more modernistic feeling images with off-kilter placement of people in the corner of the image, uber-sharpened, overly contrasty work (which I have to admit I'm not a fan of this, either).

Unlike Canerino, I'm in a very large market where there's literally hundreds of thousands of photographers, and that does have a big impact on everyone's pricing. I also do business in a smaller market that is effected by the economy but the photographers there also set the pricing as a whole. I see a upward resurgence in pricing in the next few years because the Rock Star followers will realize they can't sustain a photo business doing cheap work and will simply lose interest and the economy will get better after the elections. Photography has gone through hell in the past and then survived. Although the hell that it's been going through is a completely different kind from before.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:59 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where are we headed..

canerino wrote:
marti, i think your use of 'our' and 'we' implies that the wedding industry is united or bonded together in some way. is there a photography organization that sets styles? prices?

i love the freedom of the wedding industry. we are able to produce any type of images we want and sell them for any amount that we want...as individuals. i truly believe that the guy down the street charging $1500 for full day coverage has no impact on my business. i also believe that the guy charging $12K has zero impact on my vision/approach.

WE refers to the industry. In terms of what brides want, will albums go away, will discs be the king of the crop with very little post purchases, will the "middle class" of wedding photographers go extinct ?

This isn't meant to be some judgemental post. Just one where people can offer their opinions, that all.

Not interested, change the channel...

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:16 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where are we headed..

Paper will be more and more expensive so our work may end up in electronics and just printed albums for the
ones that can afford it.

Jaime

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:22 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where are we headed..

Wait, there's an industry?

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:36 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where are we headed..

Interchangeable lenses for ipads. Having an editor with you on site so they can cull/edit images while the wedding is going on. By the end of the night you'll have most of the images edited. Finish them up the next day and ship out the disk on day 3.

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:54 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where are we headed..

Much as in our society, where people relentlessly vote against their self-interests and elect officials who serve the 1% at the expense of the 99%, budgets for 99% of couples will decrease, leading to decreases in incomes for 99% of wedding photographers. Those who can get into the top 1%, of course (whether personally or in the clientele they serve) shall see exponential profits.

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:04 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where are we headed..

cineski wrote:
Unlike Canerino, I'm in a very large market where there's literally hundreds of thousands of photographers, and that does have a big impact on everyone's pricing.

i work in philadelphia. the fifth largest city in the nation.

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:45 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where are we headed..

I agree with Chuck...
What everyone else does really has no bearing on what Jackie and I do. Technology might change but for the most part we plan on providing images that focus on the couple, their story, their relationship, and the relationship of their family.

My goal has always been to take time out of the equation. I always ask myself... "could this image have been taken 25, 50 years ago... could it be taken in 50 years .... and still look good and 'function' the way I want it to"

As long as the answer is somewhat close to yes then I feel like I am providing my couples a valuable product that will stand the test of time. Nothing would erk me more than a couple looking back on their photos going.... OMG I cannot believe how dumb that stuff was that we did.

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:51 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where are we headed..

marti.g3 wrote:
WE refers to the industry. In terms of what brides want, will albums go away, will discs be the king of the crop with very little post purchases, will the "middle class" of wedding photographers go extinct ?

This isn't meant to be some judgemental post. Just one where people can offer their opinions, that all.

Not interested, change the channel...

no, i am interested. i just don't agree that the industry at large has as much effect on the individual.

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:02 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where are we headed..

It's not about the individual.....maybe I didn't word my post correctly. In terms of the industry, what will the future hold ? It was batted around that super quality video would take over and we'd pull our images from the footage, as the quality will be so high. That doesn't seem to have panned out.

From what i'm hearing, same ole same ole.....nothing new.......

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where are we headed..

Moments that matter. Photography that matters. No more fluff, details, mason jars... all that bull schnitzel.

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:34 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where are we headed..

Great...just like the good old days.....images that last....classic photography......

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:36 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where are we headed..

Philadelphia is not the same type or size of market as LA/NY. That's the very large markets I'm talking about and that I have experience with. Of course Philly is big but you'd be silly shocked at how big and vast the SoCal market is for photographers. There's 10 photographers on every street corner out here (yes, I'm likening them to people who work on street corners ;-)

canerino wrote:
i work in philadelphia. the fifth largest city in the nation.

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:41 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Where are we headed..

marti.g3 wrote:
It's not about the individual.....maybe I didn't word my post correctly. In terms of the industry, what will the future hold ? It was batted around that super quality video would take over and we'd pull our images from the footage, as the quality will be so high. That doesn't seem to have panned out.

From what i'm hearing, same ole same ole.....nothing new.......

I think perhaps you are missing the point...
The industry.. any industry, will always have its ups and downs, it changes, its new technology, new people, etc. What I think that many of us are trying to say is that quite frankly we do not care. Where the industry is going does not make a bit of difference for our business. I would be willing to bet that the people that feel this way spend 0 time thinking about it. I know I do not think about it.

FWIW to answer your question I think we will have 4K video eventually. I also think that we are going to push and push and push the MP's in cameras and also their ability to shoot in low light.

I also think that mirrorless cams are the future in much smaller platforms. Not sure if FF mirrorless cams will ever take off but we will see what Fuji, Olympus, and Leica does in the coming years.

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:45 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Where are we headed..

I actually don't see this happening on the whole (unless however this becomes the new stylish thing to do). The market is so flooded and people who are so crazed to be photographers that they'll continue to latch on to what makes one or a few people special and stand out and then do it to death. That's what style is. That's what fashion is. That's people. Thankfully people didn't latch on to the Zombie craze that happened last year with that one engagement session!

That's not what I'm partaking in, however and I think because of market saturation we're starting to see more people go against the grain. I'm going against that on a personal level with my work to what we're calling classic photography. I wouldn't call what's going on in my photographs as classic as that says posed and boring to me. I'd say the actions are more lifestyle in nature. But the overall look and timbre of my imagery is clean and classic.

marti.g3 wrote:
Great...just like the good old days.....images that last....classic photography......

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Where are we headed..

marti.g3 wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking we're thinking 2 different things.

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Where are we headed..

I think as time goes forward it will be harder and harder to make a living as a photographer.

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:59 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.