Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

I've got 2 non-L primes that are fantastic.

The 35 f/2 and the 85 1.8.

I want to get hoods for them, but don't really want to spend $25 bucks on them.

I swear I have had the 85's hood, since I still have the box for it...but I can't find the hood.

What alternatives that are decent/don't affect the view of the lens are there?

Sep 06, 2012 at 01:56 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

Hi Robert,

Fotodiox makes decent budget minded lens hoods and other stuff, usually under $10 for hoods; Adorama, B%H or Amazon, others carry them...found the 85 but no 35 f2

85mm
http://www.amazon.com/Goja-Dedicated-Bayonet-Lens--65III/dp/B0045JAJR6/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346900393&sr=1-5&keywords=fotodiox+hood+canon+ef+35+f%2F2

I might have a 52mm rubber foldy hood from my FD dayz...I'll check!

Jerry

Here's a link for a $5 hood for the 35mm...
http://www.meritline.com/lens-hood-ew-65ii-canon---p-63261.aspx

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:17 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #3 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

I've had the Fotodiox hood for a 24-85 and a 55-250 and they work well - both to protect the lens front element and to block unwanted light. I never used the rubber ones because I was looking more for protection for the lens than anything else.

The Canon hood for the 85 is probably the worst hood I've used. Might be preference, but I didn't like the two tabs you push to lock it in. Annoying for 25 bucks.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:57 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

Robert -- I bought a Chinese replica version of the EW-65II. It's about 2mm longer, but same attaching and diameter as the original Canon that fits both the EF 28/2.8 and 35/2. It cost less than $5 and had pretty fast shipping -- works great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180937233529?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

For the 85, I'd get a screw-in (52mm, right?) metal telephoto hood from heavystar -- comes with appropriate front cap. Here's a wide version I bought recently for FD 24/2.8 (hoods come in wide, standard and telephoto). Heavystar is located in CA, so fast shipping -- costs around $12. I've bought numerous screw-in from them in various sizes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360476359668?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:41 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

The 35 f2 has 52mm threads, the 85 f1.8 is 58mm...

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:59 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

jasonpatrick wrote:
The Canon hood for the 85 is probably the worst hood I've used. Might be preference, but I didn't like the two tabs you push to lock it in. Annoying for 25 bucks.

It's funny isn't it, I think that system is much better than the bayonet twist to lock on other lenses.
I'll admit I don't have the 85 but my 80-200L uses the same design and I find it much better to use than the hoods for my other lenses .

Each to their own I guess

Sep 06, 2012 at 07:58 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

I'd just get some rubber ones.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:07 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

dhphoto wrote:
I'd just get some rubber ones.

Are we still talking about hoods ?

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:11 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Are we still talking about hoods ?

Potentially

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:15 AM
mohoyt

p.1 #10 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

I have the 35/2 and the 100/2 (which I believe takes the same size hoods as the 85?) and I've just gone ahead and bought cheap canon replica hoods from eBay with zero issue. Ultimately they're just pieces of plastic with a little mechanism to attach the hood with (which did pop out but was glued back in) so there's little in theory that can go wrong. I would suggest spending $5 or whatever nominal amount they are. I'm less inclined to the screw in rubber or metal ones. In the case of the 35, it'll be directly attached to the moving element so any knocks to the hood are likely to damage the front barrel...

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

mohoyt wrote:
I have the 35/2 and the 100/2 (which I believe takes the same size hoods as the 85?) and I've just gone ahead and bought cheap canon replica hoods from eBay with zero issue. Ultimately they're just pieces of plastic with a little mechanism to attach the hood with (which did pop out but was glued back in) so there's little in theory that can go wrong. I would suggest spending $5 or whatever nominal amount they are. I'm less inclined to the screw in rubber or metal ones. In the case of the 35, it'll be directly attached to
...Show more

I bought a few knock-off ebay hoods and they all lasted precisely one job before they fell apart.

I have the genuine Canon hood for my 85 1.8 &100 f2 which works very well, as for the rubber one on the 35 f/2 I've used it for years without issue. In fact it helps the lens if it gets dropped on it by being able to absorb the impact.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:52 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #12 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

Sigma hood of the 105/2.8 maco lens works perfectly well with the Canon 85/1.8 lens.

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

Oops -- sorry about the 85mm thread size, but the same applies.

DH -- I must have 20 different aftermarket hoods, half screw-in metal, and half plastic replica, and I haven't had one failure. I'm not saying it's not possible, but the odds are in someone's favor.

Another advantage of the screw-in metal: I'm going back to re-check my Samyang 85/1.4, and already had a replacement hood (the original is too big for me) from heavystar with the cap. Looking at it today, and rummaging through my hoods and step up rings, I found a nice 77mm wide that I could use a 72mm to 77mm step up to bring down the overall length, while still giving decent hooding for side lighting. Step-up rings make for lots of interesting combinations.

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:08 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

Gunzorro wrote:
Oops -- sorry about the 85mm thread size, but the same applies.

DH -- I must have 20 different aftermarket hoods, half screw-in metal, and half plastic replica, and I haven't had one failure. I'm not saying it's not possible, but the odds are in someone's favor.

Another advantage of the screw-in metal: I'm going back to re-check my Samyang 85/1.4, and already had a replacement hood (the original is too big for me) from heavystar with the cap. Looking at it today, and rummaging through my hoods and step up rings, I found a nice 77mm wide that I could
...Show more

The ones I had fail were the ones with a sort of wire contraption to release the lugs so the hood fits on - the ones for my 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4 and a 70-300IS all broke the first or second time I used them with the wire coming out.

I'm not saying if I had been incredibly careful with them they wouldn't have survived but as I treated them the same as I would have a Canon hood they didn't have the same durability.

Sep 06, 2012 at 05:26 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

I've never had any with "wire" involved. Don't know what that is.

My Canon knock-offs were all plastic, with either bayonet (plastic notch/lever method) or "pinch" type like the 28/35 with press tabs on the sides.

Sep 06, 2012 at 07:10 PM
mohoyt

p.1 #16 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

I had an issue with the wire/spring mechanism in the press tab cheapo hoods where it comes apart. But with some inventive supergluing I have had zero issues since.

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:55 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

mohoyt wrote:
I had an issue with the wire/spring mechanism in the press tab cheapo hoods where it comes apart. But with some inventive supergluing I have had zero issues since.

Well done, I couldn't get mine back together at all. Once the wire sprang out that was it. But then they were so cheap I didn't take much time over it

I've had no problems with the genuine Canon ones

Sep 07, 2012 at 12:24 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

Ill have to look, I don't want to have to deal with jury rigging.

Sep 07, 2012 at 12:57 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

The hood on the 35mm f/2 is quite funky - it is perhaps the main thing I would complain about regarding that lens, which I otherwise like a great deal. My recollection is that the 85mm f/1.8 came without a hood, though I could be mistaken.

Though not everyone likes them, I put collapsible rubber hoods on my 85mm (and my 50mm f/1.4) lenses. I like the fact that they can be left in place yet folded back to take up a bit less space in the bag. I do recognize tht they will provide a bit less protection from physical damage, but I'm OK with that.

And, despite my grumpiness about it, I still use the stock hood on the 35....

Dan

RobertLynn wrote:
I've got 2 non-L primes that are fantastic.

The 35 f/2 and the 85 1.8.

I want to get hoods for them, but don't really want to spend $25 bucks on them.

I swear I have had the 85's hood, since I still have the box for it...but I can't find the hood.

What alternatives that are decent/don't affect the view of the lens are there?

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:27 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · lens hood alternative 35/85 non L.

Thanks dan. I meant I have te box for the hood too (along with the lens box).

I'm spoiled by my lenses that come with a hood. I would like an 85 1.2, but 2k nah, I'll get
The 1.8 for much much less.

I'd take my chances on the 35 1.4, but my recent foray with the 24 1.4, I'm staying far, far away. At least I know my cheap non-L primes focus as well as my L zooms and primes.

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password