Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · G1x is pretty darn nice!!!!!

kapytalyst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · G1x is pretty darn nice!!!!!

Anyone else out there as infatuated with this camera as I am? ISO 3,200 is nearly as good as my 5d2 (heresy!) in real world pics. The lens is really sharp and the bokeh is pretty sweet.

OK, the AF is point & shoot simple, its sorta slow to focus at times and - yes - we know its not a macro lens. But I am finding it to be a great street cam and - while it's a little slow to focus, focus accuracy has been really great!

Prices are coming down on it (though I paid $699) and some good deals are starting to come around. If you've been debating about this cam you should know it takes phenomenal images!

Sep 05, 2012 at 08:48 PM
jonbrach
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · G1x is pretty darn nice!!!!!

Actually i was shocked as to how clean ISO 3200 and 6400 were with my G1x,these shots were taken in a dark club in NYC and although it is a task to focus and get shots without a proper viewfinder with a fair bit of work I got some great shots!

http://jlb.smugmug.com/Other/pat-travers-8712/i-J22BmKT/0/M/IMG0375edited-1-M.jpg
http://jlb.smugmug.com/Other/pat-travers-8712/i-jKh378k/0/M/IMG0396edited-1-M.jpg
http://jlb.smugmug.com/Other/pat-travers-8712/i-w2B4bnR/0/M/IMG0410edited-1-M.jpg

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Jack Kelley
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · G1x is pretty darn nice!!!!!

I agree. It can deliver very nice images under the right circumstances. IQ is significantly better than my G11.

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:32 PM
jonbrach
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · G1x is pretty darn nice!!!!!

what shocked me was how clean the images were given I was shooting at ISO's of 3200-6400....I bought the camera for events where i am not allowed to bring in the "pro stuff" hoping that it would still allow me to get some usable pictures and i was very pleasantly surprised....the problem isnt IQ or noise...it is simply the difficulty of focusing and the very slow speed of the camera in terms of getting the shot....it is kind of hit or miss in that regard but if you do get the shot the IQ and noise are shockingly good...

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:57 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · G1x is pretty darn nice!!!!!

And why are you posting about it on this forum, when you have already posted it on the correct forum

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55

Sep 06, 2012 at 05:09 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · G1x is pretty darn nice!!!!!

IQ is very good but unfortunately I discovered after I bought it that the macro capabilities are horrible. I like to do a lot of that too. Still don't know why that feature is worse than the G10 I had....

Sep 06, 2012 at 05:14 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · G1x is pretty darn nice!!!!!

Jeffrey wrote:
IQ is very good but unfortunately I discovered after I bought it that the macro capabilities are horrible. I like to do a lot of that too. Still don't know why that feature is worse than the G10 I had....

G10 is particularly good thanks to the small sensor and high pixel density. The G1X has a much larger sensor and has a lens to match...so wont close focus any easily than an equivalent zoom on a crop camera.

However it seems there is an adapter lens available that solves the problem.

I am interested in the 1GX for street and landscape work but will be keeping my G10 as well...partly because of the macro facility.

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.