Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · What would you do with this? +2
  
 
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What would you do with this? +2


I sense something is here, but other than a tight crop it escapes me, or, am I overly optimistic?

What might you do?

Bob




  NIKON D7000    17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8 lens    55mm    f/2.8    1/100s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  



Edited on Sep 08, 2012 at 08:51 PM · View previous versions



Sep 05, 2012 at 11:06 PM
robertjm
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · What would you do with this? +2


Get rid of the string/thread that's hanging down on the right side of the chair's back, and perhaps the chair name, if that's in the finished frame. The pre-mentioned tight crop is a must.

Some of that signage may need to be cloned out depending on where it falls in the newly cropped frame.



Sep 05, 2012 at 11:20 PM
AuntiPode
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · What would you do with this? +2


Crop, bump exposure, clone stamp to clean-up background overlap with subject, add blur to the background ad warm the color balance?







Sep 06, 2012 at 03:57 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · What would you do with this? +2


Similar @ crop + WB adjust ... or monotoned












Sep 06, 2012 at 04:55 AM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · What would you do with this? +2


Thanks folks,

What is/has bothered me is the strong pattern of the cloth which, the more I look, becomes an even stronger distraction.

Is there any way around that?




Sep 06, 2012 at 12:09 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · What would you do with this? +2


Different crop, some lens blur, and added some warming cast (masked).

The geometry is a tough gig to minimize or eradicate because it has so much contrast within itself. Since color casts steal clarity ... which I typically strive to remove for the reason, I instead added some cast to try and reduce the clarity ... masking the boy's face somewhat to a lesser degree to try and create a bit more differential to pull you toward him.

Still, plenty of detractors / business competing in the scene.







Sep 06, 2012 at 12:57 PM
eeneryma
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · What would you do with this? +2


Much prefer the monotone version presented expertly by rustybug, as well as his crop. Some might disagree, but I think color in this image is a distraction. It makes your eye wander away from the main attraction here, the expressive quality of the boy's gaze.


Sep 06, 2012 at 01:25 PM
AuntiPode
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · What would you do with this? +2


You could desat the foreground and background and adjust FG/BG exposure/offset/gamma in PP to place color emphasis on the subject and reduce the distraction of the bright colors of the FG/BG.







Sep 06, 2012 at 07:52 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



ben egbert
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · What would you do with this? +2


RustyBug wrote:
Different crop, some lens blur, and added some warming cast (masked).

The geometry is a tough gig to minimize or eradicate because it has so much contrast within itself. Since color casts steal clarity ... which I typically strive to remove for the reason, I instead added some cast to try and reduce the clarity ... masking the boy's face somewhat to a lesser degree to try and create a bit more differential to pull you toward him.

Still, plenty of detractors / business competing in the scene.


This version really emphasis the eye. I had the feeling that the focus might have been the hair but more likely it was just fairly deep dof.

I don't care for the technique on landscapes, but it is effective here. I have used to extensively for birds and flowers.



Sep 06, 2012 at 07:56 PM
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · What would you do with this? +2


eeneryma wrote:
Much prefer the monotone version presented expertly by rustybug, as well as his crop. Some might disagree, but I think color in this image is a distraction. It makes your eye wander away from the main attraction here, the expressive quality of the boy's gaze.


Me too.
Scott



Sep 06, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · What would you do with this? +2


sbeme wrote:
Me too.
Scott


Thanks folks,

I think we are somewhat in agreement - I was considering a crop along this line? The draped cloth is still an annoyance, but

Regards,

Bob




  NIKON D7000    17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8 lens    55mm    f/2.8    1/100s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  




Sep 08, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · What would you do with this? +2


The toning is not widley appealing (from BW folks).

Something more straightforward - SEPro2, AgfaPan400 film preset.







Sep 08, 2012 at 08:50 PM
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · What would you do with this? +2


I think these have evolved in the right direction.
Dramatic cropping to reduce distracting elements. BW conversion to reduce distracting color "information".
Of the last two offerings:
I prefer the crop in the first. In the second my eye is pulled to the balancing but extraneous dark area upper right corner.
I prefer the less blurred "apron" in the second. Might go somewhere between the two.
I think the "apron" is too bright in the second.
The toning works for me but I like the cleaner look of the BW. Purely taste.
Definitely an image worth the work. A keeper. As is the "subject"!

Scott



Sep 09, 2012 at 02:09 AM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · What would you do with this? +2


sbeme wrote:
I think these have evolved in the right direction.
Dramatic cropping to reduce distracting elements. BW conversion to reduce distracting color "information".
Of the last two offerings:
I prefer the crop in the first. In the second my eye is pulled to the balancing but extraneous dark area upper right corner.
I prefer the less blurred "apron" in the second. Might go somewhere between the two.
I think the "apron" is too bright in the second.
The toning works for me but I like the cleaner look of the BW. Purely taste.
Definitely an image worth the work. A keeper. As is the "subject"!

Scott


Thanks Scott,

Yes, a WIP and partially an exercise to see where others might take it.

regards,

Bob




Sep 09, 2012 at 03:41 PM
silvawispa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · What would you do with this? +2


Hi Bob, what apeals to you about the mood and expression of the young chap in this setting?

It would have to be something pretty strong to consider going anywhere with this shot, but I don't see it.

Knowing what you want out of it will give a better idea of how to move on.



Sep 10, 2012 at 04:55 PM





FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password