New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Light Meter Question

mallen2
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Light Meter Question

I'm going to assume that the dumbest question is the one that is never asked so I'm going to ask to try to help myself understand, so bear with me.
Using a Minolta AutoMeter VF, If i have it set to AMBI, and the ISO is set to 200, and the shutter speed is 60 and i meter outside and i get a reading of 8.0 with a small 9 beside it and the "hash" mark above the reading is in the middle of 11, does that mean tha i am suppose to set my F-stop to f-11 or shoot at f-8.0?
Thanks for your reply.
Mike

Sep 05, 2012 at 04:55 PM
onetrack
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Light Meter Question

I don't have that meter but I think it's F8.0 & 9/10. So, you're 1/10 of a stop away from F11.

Sep 05, 2012 at 07:34 PM
mallen2
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Light Meter Question

So all things being considered, set it at F/11?

Sep 05, 2012 at 07:39 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Light Meter Question

mallen2 wrote:
So all things being considered, set it at F/11?

That would be the closest using 1/3 stops, or f/10 would be very slightly overexposing.

Most studio lights now have 1/10 stops intervals, so that is the way that most light meters now display; although many meters can be switched from tenths to thirds.

Brian A

Sep 05, 2012 at 08:50 PM
mallen2
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Light Meter Question

Thanks,
I know you know what you are talking about, it's going to take a little while for the info to sink in and me to get comfortable with it.
thanks.........mike

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:25 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Light Meter Question

Presuming you have the Minolta Auto Meter IV-F, the owner's manual is available here.

a reading of 8.0 with a small 9 beside it does mean f/8+9/10 or just a smidge shy of f/11. Presuming you're metering correctly, shooting at f/11 under the circumstances you describe should be fine.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:42 AM
mallen2
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Light Meter Question

Hi,
I have the Auto Meter VF and the manual.
Not theIV-F

Sep 07, 2012 at 02:04 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Light Meter Question

mallen2 wrote:
Thanks,
I know you know what you are talking about, it's going to take a little while for the info to sink in and me to get comfortable with it.
thanks.........mike

Full stops are f/1, f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, etc. Most cameras display discrete intervals of one third stops. So between f/8 and f/11, you have f/9 (= f/8 + 1/3) and f/10 (= f/8 + 2/3). Some cameras allow you to change the display so that it only shows half stops, and there may be a few that allow you to only display whole stops. And although most lighting equipment can be adjusted in increments of 1/10 stop, I know of no camera that does that.

So your meter is showing f8 + 9/10, or just a tenth of a stop lower than f/11. F/11 is the closest exposure you can set on your camera to match a light meter reading of f/8 + 9/10.

Brian A

Sep 07, 2012 at 10:39 PM
mallen2
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Light Meter Question

OK thanks...........mike

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:30 AM
wilt
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Light Meter Question

mallen2 wrote:
Hi,
I have the Auto Meter VF and the manual.
Not theIV-F

The IVf and the Vf are largely the same. The most significant difference (for those users with cameras that have fractional EV shutter speed values), is that the IVf only has 1/2EV shutter speeds, while the Vf has choice of 1/2EV or 1/3EV increments.

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.