Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Noise of EF85 F1.8

5D_Mark5

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Noise of EF85 F1.8

Hi,

I am a beginner of photography. I just received my second-hand EF85 F1.8 (categorized as like new). I just used it for a few shots and I was surprised by the noise from the lens when focusing. The noise is comparable to my EFS 18-55 kit lens. I thought people were saying lenses using USM are much quieter. So is my lens normal?

Sep 05, 2012 at 05:20 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Noise of EF85 F1.8

I've never used the 85/1.8 but would never describe ANY of the full ring USM lenses I have used as sounding like an 18-55 kit lens (micro motor), so I would say that there must be something wrong with the lens.
Can you return it for a refund?

Sep 05, 2012 at 06:02 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Noise of EF85 F1.8

I have this lens.....it is basically silent when focusing.

Sep 05, 2012 at 08:06 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Noise of EF85 F1.8

5D_Mark5 wrote:
Hi,

I am a beginner of photography. I just received my second-hand EF85 F1.8 (categorized as like new). I just used it for a few shots and I was surprised by the noise from the lens when focusing. The noise is comparable to my EFS 18-55 kit lens. I thought people were saying lenses using USM are much quieter. So is my lens normal?

Perhaps your hearing is not normal but your lens is fine? The Ultrasonic focusing motor creates sound waves but they are beyond normal human hearing, e.g, higher than 20,000 Hz. If you can hear the motor you hear better than my dogs! On the other hand, the movement and resulting fiction of the internal lens elements makes a pianissimo "rolling" sound. I could never hear it outdoors or in most venues but noticed it a few times when diddling my lens in a soundproof music studio (a place I seem to spend many hours in).

Sep 05, 2012 at 08:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Noise of EF85 F1.8

anthonygh wrote:
I have this lens.....it is basically silent when focusing.

+1

Paul

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:30 PM
5D_Mark5

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Noise of EF85 F1.8

Thanks for all the responses. I wish I am capable of hearing ultrasonic sound. To prove that, I asked my wife to listen to see if she can hear anything when the lens refocuses. Unfortunately she can also always hear something whenever there is any movement of the lens, just like I do.

I tried my 18-55 kit lens again, and to say the EF 85 is as loud as the kit lens is kind of exaggeration, but we can unfailingly hear the movement of the lens each time. So based on all of your response, I guess maybe there is something wrong with the lens?

Could this has something to do with the camera? I am currently using a T2i.

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:27 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Noise of EF85 F1.8

In the sound booth or a quiet room, I can hear the elements of any AF lens move. And I own about 20 lenses and I can hear them all. After all, the friction of the elements moving on a plastic or metal drive train create vibrations which, in turn, is amplified in the barrel and mirror chamber. Plus the dad burn freakin' camera is pressed against your head. It's normal and would only be absent in a vacuum. However, most of us don't hear the elements move when shooting as ambient sounds normally cover it. If you can hear it while shooting on a city street or on a Pacific beach, you may have a problem.

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password