Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LR3 to LR4 AND file transfer question

no_surrender
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR3 to LR4 AND file transfer question

I just upgraded from LR3 o LR4 and understand I have to accept the conversion either individually per image or in a batch process sort of way. But what I'm having an issue with is I also want to move an entire library from one hard drive to another. I tried this with one small folder of files and the edits didn't make it over.

Basically, I copied the folder that the files were in from the internal hard drive on my computer to an external hard drive. I then (within LR4) deleted the folder (internal HD) from the library followed by importing the folder that I copied onto the external HD. When I imported the folder, none of the adjustments that I previously made in LR3 made it over. The files that I imported opened up in LR4 with no prompt to me asking if I wanted to convert them to LR4. Also, that folder had a sub folder with edited jpegs that I had exported. That sub folder didn't import either.

Is there a better way to do this?

In the future I want my files to be imported onto the external HD while my LR catalogs stay on the internal HD.

Thanks in advance! - Kevin

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:54 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR3 to LR4 AND file transfer question

You went wrong when you removed the old folder from the library. That took the edits with it. Instead you could rename the parent folder outside Lr so that Lr can't find the old images and reports them missing. Then you find missing files by pointing to the parent folder on the external drive. So long as the new and old folder structures are the same and none of the files have been renamed, Lr will associate the external files with the old edits and other data of the files on the internal drive.

Working with images on an external drive will probably slow Lr down.

- Alan

Sep 05, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR3 to LR4 AND file transfer question

I forgot to mention that you don't have to change the process version for any of the old files. They'll work just as they did before in Lr4. I wasn't clear about that when I upgraded and I thought I should keep Lr 3 handy but it wasn't necessary. I just converted the files that needed extra work and any new files are set to the 2012 process.

- Alan

Sep 05, 2012 at 04:12 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR3 to LR4 AND file transfer question

Alan321 wrote:
You went wrong when you removed the old folder from the library. That took the edits with it. Instead you could rename the parent folder outside Lr so that Lr can't find the old images and reports them missing. Then you find missing files by pointing to the parent folder on the external drive. So long as the new and old folder structures are the same and none of the files have been renamed, Lr will associate the external files with the old edits and other data of the files on the internal drive.

Working with images on an external drive
...Show more

Thanks Alan, I will try that.

"Working with images on an external drive will probably slow Lr down." I guess I need to look into workflow efficiency or something. I thought it might be better to have the images backed up somewhere or/and to store them externally.

Kevin

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR3 to LR4 AND file transfer question

Backing up and storing files externally are two different things.

Your working directories should be local, and preferably internal, but your backups can/should be on external drives and a copy should be off-site for more complete protection.

<Chas>

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:08 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR3 to LR4 AND file transfer question

cwebster wrote:
Backing up and storing files externally are two different things.

Your working directories should be local, and preferably internal, but your backups can/should be on external drives and a copy should be off-site for more complete protection.

<Chas>

Would it be safe to say import locally, work locally, then back up edits externally? No sense in backing up images unworthy of processing, right?

Sep 06, 2012 at 05:30 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR3 to LR4 AND file transfer question

no_surrender wrote:
Would it be safe to say import locally, work locally, then back up edits externally? No sense in backing up images unworthy of processing, right?

No - not safe.

Everything needs to be backed up to external storage.

Not everything needs to be edited manually because they may already be pretty good. These need to be backed up too.

Even poor shots can be worth keeping because they remind you of something that is now irreplaceable or they can inform you of problems with gear or technique (e.g. via the metadata). These too need to be backed up.

If it is worth keeping at all and you have not yet deleted it then it needs to be backed up. Everything that you would miss now or at any time in the future if it was lost right now should be backed up right now. The next backup should be to a different drive. And the one after that to yet another drive. Eventually you can start re-using old backup drives but don't keep all of your backups on a single drive. And you have to keep track of backed-up files that are no longer on your main working drives because the backup drive(s) may fail or be stolen.

Backing up is always an inconvenience but very likely a necessary one sooner or later.

If you have insufficient space on your internal drives then you can split your library by putting some of the less-used images onto an external working drive, but this is not a backup - it's just another drive to be backed up. Even those external image files can remain in the main Lr catalog, so there is no need to have multiple catalogs.

- Alan

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:55 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR3 to LR4 AND file transfer question

Alan, I hate to say it but I'm a little confused. Would you mind posting an example of your cataloging/back up workflow?

i.e.-

1 - Import to internal
2 - Make adjustments
3 - Back up entire library (or just the folder that was just imported?) to external
4 - Delete previous back up?

I think I grasped most of what you wrote, but didn't quite 'get it' as a whole. Thanks

Kevin

Sep 07, 2012 at 01:39 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password