Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Which lens to buy?

Gadsbar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Which lens to buy?

I'm fairly new to photography, and since getting a canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens have been converted to prime lenses. I was thinking of getting another prime and was wondering which would be the most suitable to get next, so thought I'd ask for some help choosing. I'm on a bit of a budget, but from the looks of it there are a few reasonably priced lenses, a bit more than the 50mm 1.8 I have already but that's alright. I've looked at a few, both of the cheaper 28mm canons (f/2.8 and the f/1.8 USM) as well as the 40mm STM and the 85mm 1.8. Anyone have any suggestions as to which of these lenses are most worth the money for what they do? Obviously I understand that they are good for different things, but for example if it's not worth getting the 40mm as I already have the 50mm or the 85mm or whatever, please let me know! Thanks

Sep 05, 2012 at 12:56 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Which lens to buy?

Maybe spend more time using the lenses you have ?.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Which lens to buy?

Hi Gadsbar,

Welcome to FM.

"Worth the money" is subjective, and so it would help to know more about what images you want to make with your new and excellent-yet-cost-effective prime lens, that you can't do with your 50/1.8.... Such as, wider vs. longer.

With respect to wider, I would suggest you consider the venerable EF 24/2.8 lens (not the new and relatively expensive 24/2.8 IS lens). In my experience, it's a peach.

If you prefer to go longer, the 85/1.8 is probably an excellent choice, but I have no personal experience with this one.

Regardless, you won't go wrong. It's your choice. Of course, a more realistic approaCh would be to answer the hypothetical question, "which one do you want, first"?

Cheers, Jim

Edited on Sep 05, 2012 at 01:19 AM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:16 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Which lens to buy?

We have no idea of the camera body, but assuming it is EF-S I suggest trying the 18-55 kit lens for a while before deciding on other lenses. The modern classic budget combo is a 18-55 and 55-200.

EBH

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:17 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #5 · Which lens to buy?

What body you have and what you like to shoot will really help with recommendations. For example looking to shoot your kids, landscape, indoor/outdoor sports etc.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:24 AM
Gadsbar

p.1 #6 · Which lens to buy?

cheers guys,

fair point kewlcanon, but I have had the lenses that I've got for a little while now and still intend to use them all as I get more.

I'm using a canon 1100D at the moment, so pretty low end but it does the job, I think it might be called something else in the states, the rebel t3 possibly??

And with regards to what I use it for most, I like to do a mixture of landscape/city stuff and portraits, and the 50mm does well for the portraits but not so well on the wider stuff. This is why i was looking at the 28mm ones, the 85mm was just because I'd read some people saying that that one was pretty good.

Jim, I'll check out that 24mm one, sounds interesting,

Thanks, Joe

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:39 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Which lens to buy?

28mm is about a normal lens on a 1.6 crop sensor. 15-18 is wide.

EBH

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:43 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #8 · Which lens to buy?

The 35 F2 is another common recommendation for crop body users, because it reproduces pretty closely the 50mm 'normal' view on a full frame system. Similarly your 50mm reproduces the 85mm length pretty closely. The 85 on your body would be closest to 135mm - to a tight portrait length.

I think the 85mm is a great lens for the cost. Love mine. If you want to add some tighter shots to your repertoire, then go that way. I don't have a 35 so I cant comment on it. I'm planning to get the 40mm soon. On your tiny T3 body, the body plus lens would probably fit in a cargo pocket. So there is another angle to consider.

-Brian

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:46 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Which lens to buy?

Gadsbar wrote:
Jim, I'll check out that 24mm one, sounds interesting,

Thanks, Joe

You're welcome.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:46 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Which lens to buy?

Gadsbar wrote:
cheers guys,

fair point kewlcanon, but I have had the lenses that I've got for a little while now and still intend to use them all as I get more.

I'm using a canon 1100D at the moment, so pretty low end but it does the job, I think it might be called something else in the states, the rebel t3 possibly??

And with regards to what I use it for most, I like to do a mixture of landscape/city stuff and portraits, and the 50mm does well for the portraits but not so well on the wider stuff. This is why i
...Show more

look at the Sigma 30mm 1.4

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

fotojev

p.1 #11 · Which lens to buy?

I no longer have a Canon full frame but the 135L is a very nice allrounder!

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:00 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Which lens to buy?

The reality of the situation is that, as a general principle, one is unable to buy a bad EF lens for the simple reason that Canon doesn't make bad lenses. Now, there are some modifications to that statement required: Canon makes a few lenses which may represent a poor value for the money, although they are not "bad" in an absolute sense. Such lenses are 70-300 DO and 400 DO in my view. Therefore, I'd recommend you do not get those.

Which all really means that you should get practically any lens your heart desires, depending on whether you wanna go wide or long, or very fast, or having IS, or macro capability, or zoom, etc......only you can tell what is that you need.

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:57 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Which lens to buy?

CW100 wrote:
look at the Sigma 30mm 1.4

That lens is THE fast normal FL prime to have for crop sensor. Great image quality and value.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:10 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #14 · Which lens to buy?

The sigma is a great lens, but it's not wide on a crop...for a bit wider, I loved the 24mm 2.8 that Jim recommended on crop.
Petkal is right though too. EF lenses are going to be good. The primes in that range can all produce excellent image quality. Try them out and pick the focal length that you want most. If you still have your kit lens, put it at the focal length you're considering and shoot with it there to see if you like it.

Sep 07, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Which lens to buy?

For landscapes I'd suggest trying out your 18-55 IS kit lens. It's a rather good lens despite not being a prime. And it's free as you already have it.

Welcome to FM.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 07, 2012 at 09:26 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #16 · Which lens to buy?

kewlcanon wrote:
Maybe spend more time using the lenses you have ?.

What's the fun in that... then we can't sit at our computers and rant.... Sad but this is good advice for us all (myself included)

Sep 07, 2012 at 09:35 PM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #17 · Which lens to buy?

Lots of good suggestions. Couple of considerations/comments. First, don't be afraid to buy used. Can save you a few quid and worth looking around to find. Second, if your long term plans don't call for a full frame camera consider the EF-S lenses. I know you indicated primes, but the EF-S zooms are fairly good (from what I've read).

Sep 07, 2012 at 09:43 PM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #18 · Which lens to buy?

bbasiaga wrote:
The 35 F2 is another common recommendation for crop body users, because it reproduces pretty closely the 50mm 'normal' view on a full frame system. Similarly your 50mm reproduces the 85mm length pretty closely. The 85 on your body would be closest to 135mm - to a tight portrait length.

I think the 85mm is a great lens for the cost. Love mine. If you want to add some tighter shots to your repertoire, then go that way. I don't have a 35 so I cant comment on it. I'm planning to get the 40mm soon. On your tiny T3
...Show more

The EF 35mm f/2 is a great suggestion. I have one and it is ok on my 5DII but it was really great on my Rebel XSi (450D). The buzzy AF motor on the older lenses bothers some but I don't think it's that big of a deal. You only really notice it if it's going all the way between MF and infinity.

Another suggestion is to rent a few lenses to try. Lensrentals.com has pretty good prices on the older EF lenses that have been suggested. I think the old EF 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, 85 f/1.8, and 100 f/2 are only like $25/week. Plus, it's fun to try a bunch of new stuff!

In the end, as others have said, you can't really go that wrong with an EF lens on a crop sensor camera since they are all really good.

Sep 08, 2012 at 08:28 AM
carnac
• •
p.1 #19 · Which lens to buy?

I would look to either a wide angle or telephoto and spend some time learning to use it. Used (esp from FM) is a good way to get a nice lens at reasonable price (and you can re-sell for about what you paid if you want to upgrade to something else).

The 85/1.8 is a very nice lens, but I like the 100/2 a little better and you get some nice reach with your crop camera.

For the wide end, you need to get wider than 35 on a crop body to really get into some wide shots.

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:38 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Which lens to buy?

EF-S zooms are quite nice. I have the 10-22 which is ultra to standard wide (16-35mm in FF terms) it is super sharp and has quite correctable (minimal) distortion, but it's kinda expensive and it's not a fast lens...although high ISOs on your T3 would be ok, I shoot with a 40/50D.

As for a tight budget, either 28 is decent, the 24 is also. When I started out in digital I picked up two low end used zooms, a 28-90 and 75-300, to experiment with, both were under $300; the current 18-55 and 55-250 would be a nice starting point on a lean budget.

If you get serious about this expensive hobby, start out slow and explore, have fun, shoot everything you can and after a few 1000 shots look at the focal lengths you most use. Then buy the good glass or body that you budget can handle...did I mention have fun

Jerry

Sep 08, 2012 at 08:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password