Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · creepy....do you think this is?

PerlaD300
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · creepy....do you think this is?

Trying my first entry to the FM weekly contest as Creepy is the subject...tried this with a backyard tree and neon glow effect for creepiness...do you think this has the feel? Please comment...appreciate your input...thank you all!

- Perla

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:35 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · creepy....do you think this is?

To me there is an eeriness... But is this photography or PP??

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:46 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · creepy....do you think this is?

Interesting image and a little creepy, but what's the bit on the lower right?

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:01 PM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · creepy....do you think this is?

@Auntipode....thanks for your comment. i guess thats a overlooked artifact from the neon effect application, should have cleaned up before posting. I need to clean it up.

@oldrattler...good question and a debatable one at that. I took the picture with a zoom ring twist to create light rays from the tree..however, applied a neon glow effect from picasa presets to see how it looked and thought the effect was bit eerie to share to get an opinoin. I know this might not be for everyone but unless you try, you won't know.

Sep 05, 2012 at 03:29 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · creepy....do you think this is?

I think the question at photography vs. PP was related to the WA's intent to showcase photographic technique/vision moreover than computer generated effects (even though we are typically processing digital). For the WA, I'd like to see the zoom twist be more prominent than the software enhancement. The general "litmus test" for WA is the likelihood @ creating the same with film based technique ... but that doesn't always hold true. But even though the neon effect is interesting, I think it is overshadowing the "camera work" rather than enhancing it ... regarding the WA intent.

As to this image ... I'm wondering what other processing might look like. The rays get lost in this version, imo, and I'd like to see them stronger. Hmmm, at maybe an IR or B&W treatment, or some different toning. Would like to see the original to see how well the rays could be strengthened ... nice "twist" on the theme.

Sep 05, 2012 at 04:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · creepy....do you think this is?

B & W is creepier for some reason.

Sep 05, 2012 at 07:25 AM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · creepy....do you think this is?

@Rusty...thanks for your take on this...I do agree bw is interesting but thought that effect was seen so many times so tried a different treatment. I guess, in the end, when it comes down to the technique/taste, BW might hold its ground and neon one gets lost in PP effects. However, as you said, I liked the 'twist' it provided

@Autipode...I do agree, when I converted that to BW initially, it did provided better feel. However, no where near the creepiness of Rusti's treatment

Here is SOOC (original) from the camera raw converted to Jpeg:

Here is a BW version (just did a BW in picasa)

I am sure with bit more enhancement, the picture could come out good but I need to submit before noon to the contest...appreciate your take on the version:

Thanks
Perla

Sep 05, 2012 at 02:00 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · creepy....do you think this is?

Seeing the original ... I can now see how the neon added some of the creepy glow, which of course also diffused the rays ... kinda push/pull balancing act needed there. The biggest difference I can guess between my B&W rendering vs. your attempt is that mine was "post glow" vs. yours was likely "pre glow".

I didn't care for the colors of the neon ... but the glow they added were important to the mood. Maybe using a non-neon method of imparting the glow that doesn't effect the color quite as much. Not sure though how to go about imparting the glow and retaining the rays ... maybe some gradient masking so it transitions as you apply the glow most centrally and retain the rays radially toward the perimeter.

Still, I dig the "twist" on the rays.

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:22 PM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · creepy....do you think this is?

Thanks Kent. Appreciate your feedback.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:32 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password