Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       4       end
  

Archive 2012 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!
  
 
n0b0
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


EB-1 wrote:
The 24 TSE II is such a fine lens that I have no interest in any Samyang 24. Has Samyang ever made a wide lens without heavy distortion?

EBH


They would have to with this lens if they want to target the architectural photographers.

If it's under a grand, it'll sell like hotcakes. If the optic is great, I might sell my bulbous TSE17 and get it instead.



Sep 05, 2012 at 02:16 PM
artd
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


n0b0 wrote:
They would have to with this lens if they want to target the architectural photographers.

If it's under a grand, it'll sell like hotcakes. If the optic is great, I might sell my bulbous TSE17 and get it instead.

The 24TSEII is pretty much the gold standard for architectural photographers. And most serious architecture photogs are willing to pay for it If Samyang intends to compete on price (which pretty much has always been their strategy) I have a hard time believing they will come out with something that matches the TSE24II on both resolution and distortion. My suspicion is this will be more appealing to landscape photographers with good resolution but with distortion present.

Of course I would really like to be wrong on this, because if it was as good as a TSE24II I'd love to get it in a Nikon mount and match it to a D800



Sep 05, 2012 at 04:28 PM
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


Being an owner of the 24 TS-E II (and previous version one), I have no personal interest in this lens. I can't see it "selling like hotcakes" because most photographers who have wanted TS, have already bought either of the two versions Canon offers.

I don't know why Samyang didn't come out with an 18mm (or 16mm!) Shift-only lens instead (could also be used on NEX or M4/3) -- that would be something interesting, and with the high price of the Canon 17 TS-E, it would likely draw out some buyers that have always thought about the super wide shift idea. If it was sharp, with most barrel distortion corrected (I could live with some, and correct myself in LR), and sold for around $1000, I'd buy one!



Sep 05, 2012 at 04:51 PM
David Baldwin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


Well, I think there is often more of a market for low cost specialist lenses than some might believe.

I don't do architecture professionally, and feel the Canon 24 TSMk2 is more cash than i am prepared to spend for this activity. I have owned the Canon 24 TS Mk1 but was disappointed with it optically.

I have compromised on an old school AI Nikkor 28mm f3.5 which is of course shift only but I got one relatively inexpensively - optically it is acceptable on a 5D2.

A cheap wide TS would definitely get my attention, and I can't be the only one.

Its horses for courses, for example a 24L f1.4 is central to my photography and so I am happy to splash on a Canon 24L f1.4 Mk2. But a TS would not be central to my work, and so for me subjectively would warrant a cheaper price tag so I might go Samy.




Sep 05, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Red 90
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


I think that there will definitely be a market of this lens if the price is right and optics are decent.

I don't think there is any question that Canon typically produces lenses that are of superior optics to third party lenses. However, there are many that choose third party lenses that can produce 90% of the quality of the canon lenses at half the price.

Samyang has produced a stellar 14mm lens that cost a fraction of the price of Canon's 14mm lens. If they can do the same for the 24mm TS lens, I'm sure many photographers that don't shoot for a living may be willing to fork out that cash for the ability to expand their ability with this type of lens.



Sep 05, 2012 at 05:34 PM
n0b0
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


Red 90 wrote:
However, there are many that choose third party lenses that can produce 90% of the quality of the canon lenses at half the price.


BINGO!! This is what I'm hoping as well.

AF is usually the achilles heel of those 3rd party lenses, not fast enough for some or inconsistent focus, but since the TSE24 is an MF lens anyway, Samyang could seriously hurt the TSE24 sales if they have a great lens with the right price.



Sep 05, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


Red 90 wrote:
I think that there will definitely be a market of this lens if the price is right and optics are decent.

I don't think there is any question that Canon typically produces lenses that are of superior optics to third party lenses. However, there are many that choose third party lenses that can produce 90% of the quality of the canon lenses at half the price.

Samyang has produced a stellar 14mm lens that cost a fraction of the price of Canon's 14mm lens. If they can do the same for the 24mm TS lens, I'm sure many photographers that don't
...Show more

The 24 TS-E is one of Canon's premier lenses for sharpness, color, and low distortion. I think that asking Samyang to come through with 90% of the IQ of the flagship 24 TS-E is asking a lot. I guess that is the ultimate question we are trying to answer: can they do it?

I see the 24 TS-E version 1 going for $899 in E+ condition at Adorama. So if the Samyang could compete with this at around the same price, it might be worthwhile. But I would miss the electronic aperture and exif -- that has to count for something.

I suppose we'll see soon enough!


Edited on Sep 06, 2012 at 12:56 AM · View previous versions



Sep 06, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Derek Weston
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


Gunzorro wrote:
The 24 TS-E is one of Canon's premier lenses for sharpness, color, and low distortion. I think that asking Samyang to come through with 90% of the IQ of the flagship 24 TS-E is asking a lot. I guess that is the ultimate question we are trying to answer: can they do it?


They did it on the 14mm. Just depends on how much effort they put into their engineering.



Sep 06, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


moonpeep wrote:
They did it on the 14mm. Just depends on how much effort they put into their engineering.


They did a great job with their 14mm but high distortion is undeniable. Another issue they must overcome is quality control.



Sep 06, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Sneakyracer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


I doubt the Samyang is gonna be nearly as good as the Canon 24 TS-E II. The Canon is one of the best lenses made. Period. If you cant afford it then the 24 TS-E I is available used for $700-$800. Its a good lens. I still have mine. Have not sold it yet even though I got the II version. Its MUCH more compact than the new one.


Sep 06, 2012 at 03:28 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


Sneakyracer wrote:
I doubt the Samyang is gonna be nearly as good as the Canon 24 TS-E II. The Canon is one of the best lenses made. Period. If you cant afford it then the 24 TS-E I is available used for $700-$800. Its a good lens. I still have mine. Have not sold it yet even though I got the II version. Its MUCH more compact than the new one.


Well I don't know about that. Their 35 1.4 and their 14mm are pretty darn good lenses. I would not be surprised one bit if their 24 ts will approach the Canon are far as image quality goes. Price wise, I am expecting the Samyang to come in less than 1/2 or less compared to the Canon which would make it a steal.



Sep 06, 2012 at 03:39 AM
Sneakyracer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


Also, remember that with a non shift/tilt lens image defects like distorsion are very easy to correct with presets or manually since the center point of the lens is well, in the center of the frame all the time since you cant move it. The samyang 14mm tests well in resolution BUT it has a HUGE amount of distorsion but with a good preset it can be fixed (but you do loose some coverage and image resolution because the software is stretching the image). With a tilt/shift lens, depending on the exact amount of shift you use the center of the lens' image circle is always somewhere different. So its tough to correct for. The TS-E II doesnt have much issues with that because distorsions are very low.


Sep 06, 2012 at 01:33 PM
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


I agree.

Samyang has some major optical obstacles to overcome, outside of the mechanical tolerances of the TS mechanism. The big problem comes from making essentially a medium format lens based on large image circle, fit into the much shorter flange distance of the 35mm-style body. This requires some amazing squeezing via retro-focus design, which typically introduces extreme curvature of field (round focal "plane") and light fall-off, among other possible aberrations such as CA, not to mention the obvious need for nearly pure rectilinear perspective. It's amazing Canon has pulled it off so well, but then again, they've been refining this sort of design for over 40 years. Can Samyang hit the ground running and match Canon's experience, or even come close? Odds are they can't. But it is a horse race, so who knows until the nag crosses the finish line.



Sep 06, 2012 at 04:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


That is a great point. Samyang must keep distortion and vignetting under control with their new TS lens because shifted images are difficult to correct in post. That will be quite a challenge as their current "normal" 24mm f/1.4 has almost 4 times the amount of barrel distortion when comparing to Canon's TSE.


Sep 06, 2012 at 04:59 PM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


If it's close at 1/3 Fred, I'm buying my first non-canon lens to keep.


Sep 07, 2012 at 02:25 AM
dswiger
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


jcolwell wrote:
Probably about 1/3 of the price for a TS-E 24/3.5L II... say, $650 US.

It'll be very interesting to see if it's as good as it's bretheren and sisteren.


There's no way its going to be $650.
I have the Samyang 24mm/f1.4 & it was $700.
I suspect it will be at least $900-1000, which make sense as the lens body will have some expensive machining & assembly.

Hoping that the work goes into the optics so that across shift & tilt, the sharpness is decent.

Dan



Sep 07, 2012 at 05:08 AM
Peter Figen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


At least one of the new Canon T/S lenses has two sets of floating elements. Maybe someone can check to see if both do, but that complexity alone could account for both the price and the performance.


Sep 07, 2012 at 06:04 AM
Sven Jeppesen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


Very interesting lens from Samyang


Sep 07, 2012 at 08:54 AM
Snopchenko
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


David Baldwin wrote:
Well, I think there is often more of a market for low cost specialist lenses than some might believe.
I don't do architecture professionally, and feel the Canon 24 TSMk2 is more cash than i am prepared to spend for this activity. I have owned the Canon 24 TS Mk1 but was disappointed with it optically.
Its horses for courses, for example a 24L f1.4 is central to my photography and so I am happy to splash on a Canon 24L f1.4 Mk2. But a TS would not be central to my work, and so for me subjectively would warrant
...Show more
n0b0 wrote:
AF is usually the achilles heel of those 3rd party lenses, not fast enough for some or inconsistent focus, but since the TSE24 is an MF lens anyway, Samyang could seriously hurt the TSE24 sales if they have a great lens with the right price.

I couldn't agree more. Maybe will get this T&S for the missus in the future, as she's into shooting architecture.



Sep 07, 2012 at 10:09 AM
raydee
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!


https://www.facebook.com/notes/samyang/the-premiere-of-samyang-t-s-24mm-135-ed-as-umc/407174272675121


Sep 07, 2012 at 01:24 PM
1      
2
       3       4       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password