Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Photography schools in/around Maryland?

mowensphotogra
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photography schools in/around Maryland?

I'm 23 years old and am a current student at Towson University going for a marketing major. Unfortunately, I discovered my passion for photography is something that I would love to do for the rest of my life.
Towson offers few photo classes but you need to be an art major in order to take them. So because of that, I've taken all the basic courses at the local community college which include; digital photo 1, photojournalism, studio photo.

I was a staff photographer for the Towson newspaper for a semester or two, shooting mostly sports.

My question is, does anyone know of any colleges in or around maryland that I could get a bachelors from in photography?

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:45 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photography schools in/around Maryland?

Here's a few with one featured -- Maryland Institute College of Art

http://www.hackcollege.com/school-finder/schools/maryland/photography/

BTW: If you can find work photography salaries range between $16K - $42K.... and you know where you will be living at the low end of the scale. Make sure your future wife has a good job, seriously.

Sep 04, 2012 at 03:50 PM
mowensphotogra
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photography schools in/around Maryland?

My friend graduated from syracuse with a degree in photojournalism. He works for the yankees now and one of his pictures was just on the cover of yankees magazine.

Haha I just remembered that now. I just messaged him to see what he went through because he transferred from towson as well.

Sep 04, 2012 at 05:10 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photography schools in/around Maryland?

Well, Syracuse University is one of the few excellent schools if the goal is working for someone else. Estimated cost to attend SU in 2009-2010 total cost is $50,791. Tuition is $33,630... not including financing. That cost might be only for NY State residents too. Average price of a home in the US is around $180K. So unless his parents have footed the bill he will have the equivalent of two mortgages starting out. A photography job with the Yankees sounds ideal, but his assumed loan debt is unmanageable IMO.

I have been telling other students here on FM to think about their majors before making a irreversible decision. I know photography is great, but sometimes you have to be realistic about the returns.

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:19 PM
mowensphotogra
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photography schools in/around Maryland?

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at right now. I believe 2012-2013 prices are around 35-40k for out of state. I'll probably be able to get financial aid and help from my rents. I need to look more into it though and see if it's logical.
My friend gave me his professors emails and I'm going to message them and see what the deal is.

I appreciate the posts btw man.

Sep 05, 2012 at 02:13 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password