Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · IR conversion anyone?

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · IR conversion anyone?

I'm going to convert a camera to full time IR, probably at Lifepixel. I'm interested to know if anyone has done a full IR conversion and if so, what camera was used.

I'd love to buy a used d700 for it, because my experiences lead me to believe the excellent noise performance would be a real boon for IR, but I'm also thinking about a d7k and other bodies.

So, let me know what you have got going.

thanks
Kerry

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:21 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · IR conversion anyone?

Just a thought... It's a pretty pricey conversion and once you do it the cameras can be very tough to sell due to a limited market for IR bodies. Therefore people tend to sell them cheaper than you'd think. Have you considered buying a used body already done with the IR unit you like?

Otherwise the bodies I hear do a good job are the D700, D200 and surprisingly the D70s... Although I'm sure there's others. I've looked at a few but never committed to it. Not sure I'd get the regular use out of it. Lemme know what you end up with. Interested to hear your thoughts once you do it!

Sep 04, 2012 at 02:06 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #3 · IR conversion anyone?

I've converted two bodies one Canon and the other the D700, both with Lifepixel, I had focus issues with the D700 that were inconsistent and mostly OOF. I've sent it back to Lifepixel for reverting it back to the original condition. My other conversion was a Canon Rebel xti, works as expected, and I use auto focus with no issues, about four years in use.

Some cameras you will need Live View to focus after the conversion, my D700 it was a must yet focus was never spot on consistently. I contacted Lifepixel regarding the focus to which they said Live View was a must for the D700 yet it did not focus as it did before the conversion using Live View or not..

I cannot say it was due to the quality of work by life pixel or not since they worked both bodies for me.

In my research which was done after I converted the D700 I probably would not have converted the D700. There were quite a few problems listed on the web concerning the D700 IR conversion. I'll try the D90 or D5100 in the future.

Sep 04, 2012 at 02:47 AM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #4 · IR conversion anyone?

I shot a IR d80 for a couple years and it did GREAT. I would def opt for a d70/80 to covert before a 700 or a 7000.

Sep 04, 2012 at 02:57 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #5 · IR conversion anyone?

dj dunzie wrote:
Just a thought... It's a pretty pricey conversion and once you do it the cameras can be very tough to sell due to a limited market for IR bodies. Therefore people tend to sell them cheaper than you'd think. Have you considered buying a used body already done with the IR unit you like?

Otherwise the bodies I hear do a good job are the D700, D200 and surprisingly the D70s... Although I'm sure there's others. I've looked at a few but never committed to it. Not sure I'd get the regular use out of it. Lemme know what
...Show more

Hi DJ,

Sure, I'd buy a used body that was already done, if the price was reasonable.

I have a couple of d200s that could be converted. My thinking was to get something with better high ISO performance. I have an old Sony full conversion digicam that worked fine, except for noise.

I don't like being tied to a tripod, so I raise the ISO to the point where I can get 1/250 ss. That way I can hand hold the camera and do some basic stop action on wildlife or other movement.

Sure, I'll be happy to keep you posted. Once I get something done, I'll post my results and thoughts and maybe some samples, if I can get it done before the end of IR season.

Kerry

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:15 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #6 · IR conversion anyone?

Taoguy wrote:
I've converted two bodies one Canon and the other the D700, both with Lifepixel, I had focus issues with the D700 that were inconsistent and mostly OOF. I've sent it back to Lifepixel for reverting it back to the original condition. My other conversion was a Canon Rebel xti, works as expected, and I use auto focus with no issues, about four years in use.

Some cameras you will need Live View to focus after the conversion, my D700 it was a must yet focus was never spot on consistently. I contacted Lifepixel regarding the focus to which they
...Show more

Thanks for the info.
Sorry to hear that about the d700.... I'm going to have to look at the Lifepixel site. I don't recall seeing any requirement for live view. That's not going to work for what I want to do. If Lifepixel has something more to say about why your d700 was goofed up, I'd appreciate it if you'd post the info.

thanks
Kerry

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:18 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #7 · IR conversion anyone?

Steve Beck wrote:
I shot a IR d80 for a couple years and it did GREAT. I would def opt for a d70/80 to covert before a 700 or a 7000.

Thanks for the post, Steve. Why wouldn't you convert a d700 or d7k? Because of cost?

I'm thinking that I'd like to have as many megapixels, with the best noise performance, that I can get. This camera will likely be my last IR conversion, so it has to perform for a while.

thanks
Kerry

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:21 AM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #8 · IR conversion anyone?

I have a D70S and am happy with it

Lifepixel offers some good insight into which filter to get. Understand your options before you decide.

Here is a good forum for IR, they have a sticky for types of cameras that at best

http://nikongear.com/live/index.php?/forum/79-infrared-photography/

Good luck , it's fun

Rags

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:27 AM
platscha
• • •
p.1 #9 · IR conversion anyone?

I had a D70dome years ago by life pixel it is an excellent one for conversion, at the time I was told by them a D70S was not good to do. One thing is I would ask them for a recommendation on how good a certain camera you wanted would work. Lastly they return the thing that is changed and you can have the camera put back to normal if you want to resell down the line.

Sep 04, 2012 at 05:38 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #10 · IR conversion anyone?

I just wounder... Why so many people prefer to convert a big size DSLR but not get a cheap NEX for IR? No worries about focus issue (contrast detection AF anyway), easy to carry as a 2nd camera.

The NEX's 16mp sensors are quite good at high ISO too.

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #11 · IR conversion anyone?

Rags Hef wrote:
I have a D70S and am happy with it

Lifepixel offers some good insight into which filter to get. Understand your options before you decide.

Here is a good forum for IR, they have a sticky for types of cameras that at best

http://nikongear.com/live/index.php?/forum/79-infrared-photography/

Good luck , it's fun

Rags

Thanks for the info, Rags. I had a little problem or 2. Your link didn't work for me, so I tried to find it with google and it seems that it's a subscription site and won't let me view anything without paying.

thanks anyway.
Kerry

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #12 · IR conversion anyone?

platscha wrote:
I had a D70dome years ago by life pixel it is an excellent one for conversion, at the time I was told by them a D70S was not good to do. One thing is I would ask them for a recommendation on how good a certain camera you wanted would work. Lastly they return the thing that is changed and you can have the camera put back to normal if you want to resell down the line.

Thanks. I intend to go back and read everything that they have on the site, maybe even ask their support. Maybe they have new info that would be helpful.

Kerry

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #13 · IR conversion anyone?

ytwong wrote:
I just wounder... Why so many people prefer to convert a big size DSLR but not get a cheap NEX for IR? No worries about focus issue (contrast detection AF anyway), easy to carry as a 2nd camera.

The NEX's 16mp sensors are quite good at high ISO too.

I'm not sure why you wonder. I don't have a Nex nor any Nex lenses and didn't even know who made it.

If I wanted to go the small/cheap route, Nex isn't any cheaper, especially when buying lenses, than buying a used d3200 or something. Actually, a d5100 new, is cheaper than a Nex and probably not much bigger.

But, thanks for your help.
Kerry

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:49 AM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #14 · IR conversion anyone?

I've had a d70, d80, and d90 converted to IR. I'm mainly a landscape and portrait shooter, so I focus manually, mostly using old Ais lenses. I found the live view on the d90 just doesn't work for me - it never looks sharp on the LCD. I get best results using the IR focus index on my older lenses. My current d90 is a 665nm conversion and I love it. If I could afford a new d800 for visible photos, I'd convert my d700 and have an all FX lineup.

I have a ton of IR photos here ... http://www.pbase.com/camboman/infrared_images

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:08 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #15 · IR conversion anyone?

Personally I would not converted D700 to IR. Pick D70 or D70s for few hundreds and try out Hoya R70 filter with it - see how does it meet your expectations. You can get them from fleabay for $60-70 instead of paying full price ( here in Canada its more like $180.00) After all that said and done and you happy with what you get convert to full IR.

I have both D700 and D70 and I will be honest D70 does much better with IR then D700. D70 is much more sensitive to IR spectrum and has shorter exposure times vs D700. Google how to test your camera for IR sensitivity.

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:41 PM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #16 · IR conversion anyone?

euua wrote:
Personally I would not converted D700 to IR. Pick D70 or D70s for few hundreds and try out Hoya R70 filter with it - see how does it meet your expectations. You can get them from fleabay for $60-70 instead of paying full price ( here in Canada its more like $180.00) After all that said and done and you happy with what you get convert to full IR.

I have both D700 and D70 and I will be honest D70 does much better with IR then D700. D70 is much more sensitive to IR spectrum and has shorter exposure times
...Show more

Since the OP is going for a converted camera, the IR response of an unconverted body is irrelevant. Everything changes once you get that IR filter off your lens and into your body. Handheld shots become a reality and you can set up and shoot much quicker.

The biggest issue I've encountered is which lenses work best with any particular conversion and do not give a hot spot!

Sep 04, 2012 at 02:42 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #17 · IR conversion anyone?

camboman wrote:
I've had a d70, d80, and d90 converted to IR. I'm mainly a landscape and portrait shooter, so I focus manually, mostly using old Ais lenses. I found the live view on the d90 just doesn't work for me - it never looks sharp on the LCD. I get best results using the IR focus index on my older lenses. My current d90 is a 665nm conversion and I love it. If I could afford a new d800 for visible photos, I'd convert my d700 and have an all FX lineup.

I have a ton of IR photos here ... http://www.pbase.com/camboman/infrared_images

Michael, your IR photos are stunning. I've had to bookmark your site, because I have to go back and look around some more. I've always been mostly a B&W IR type shooter, but your false color stuff is really great, better than the norm. So, now I'm thinking that maybe I need to convert 2 cameras.

I haven't thought much about MF and using the IR index. I'll need to have AF for some stuff, but I'll have to look into some MF lenses, depending on what body I have converted.

Thanks a ton for the info, you've given me a great deal to think about.
Kerry

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:28 PM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · IR conversion anyone?

I got an old D50 IR off the buy and sell here. Paid about 250, which is about the cost of an IR conversion itself. Nice way to dip your toe in. The D50 is also one of the old cameras that does 1/500th sync, which could be interesting in IR with some flashes at night, etc.

I'd say if you weren't sure about shooting in IR and how to do it, go cheap, get a used camera, and see if you really have a feel for it and enjoyment of it.

Sep 04, 2012 at 06:49 PM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · IR conversion anyone?

i converted a D70 years ago and the real trouble doing it was having a seriously CLEAN space to do the work. I ended up having dust under the IR filter and forever had spots of every frame. A Real bummer

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:30 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · IR conversion anyone?

Just a quickie from the balcony, handheld AF with a D70S converted to IR.. It will be many many years before I even think of converting my D700.

NIKON D70s    55mm    f/5.6    1/800s    -0.3 EV  

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:16 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password