Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

Norman my love
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

I have noticed several people selling watercolors made from photos and they did a very nice job. Was looking on the web for instructions for photoshop or other software and the YouTubes that I viewed did not seem to generate very good quality. I didn't think any of the final paintings looked very good. Does anyone know where there are really good instructions or software to do this?

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:54 AM
hugowolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

Norman my love wrote:
I have noticed several people selling watercolors made from photos and they did a very nice job. Was looking on the web for instructions for photoshop or other software and the YouTubes that I viewed did not seem to generate very good quality. I didn't think any of the final paintings looked very good. Does anyone know where there are really good instructions or software to do this?

Do you want to actually produce a watercolour from a photo, or create and image from a photo that looks like a watercolour painting?

Brian A

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:05 AM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

hugowolf - I would want to Create an image from a photo that looks like a watercolour painting. I have a couple photos that are beautiful, but they are just not as crystal clear as I'd like, so I thought I would try my hand at making them look like watercolours.

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:01 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

Norman,

I would suggest playing around with the artistic filters in PS, adjusting the sliders to taste, and/or trying one of the inexpensive plug-ins from Topaz Labs before buying an expensive "Paint" program----unless this is something you really really really want to get into.

Once you have an image file post-processed the way you like, the selection of media to print on will help the image take on the watercolor or other artistic slant characteristics you're after. Fine art matte papers, texture, bamboo, sugar cane, rice paper, canvas, etc.

I think the best thing for post-processing is to not overdo it-----unless that's the flavor of the day.

ken

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:33 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

Well, given every image is different, I would try layer blending one or more of the Ďartisticí filters in Photoshop. And the Oil Paint filter too, which, fairly typically for Adobe, isnít with the other Ďartisticí filters. It will be different for each image.

Brian A

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:39 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

Image Effects Package
A collection of Photoshop Actions I recorded
Download http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/JJMacksImageEffects.zip
Examples

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:40 PM
SeverianTL
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

Corel's Painter is probably the most powerful paint program out there. Download the free trial here: http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4030123

You can get a basic version, Painter Essentials, for only $60: http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod3430222

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

Hey thanks guys for the info. I will check things out when I have time to process an image. I really want it to look as much like a watercolor painting as possible. A nice one with detail.

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Gregory_51

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

Hi
A couple of programs you might look at are Dynamic Auto Painter , you set the style and parameters and let it run. You can choose wet or dry realistic or impressionistic etc. etc. It gives quite realistic results. It also has other styles too. Another is a plugin Topaz Simplify 3 very flexible and can be used in a variety of ways and not too expensive. In fact all the Topaz plugins are great and reasonably priced.
Cheers

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:17 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

Thanks for the info Gregory_51. I will look into those.

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:58 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

I've never really seen an auto filter doing a good job. All water color photos i've ever seen sold were hand painted with photo as a source (we did it few times too when creativity hit the good in us).
Try it, it is fun even just digitally (tablet and photoshop, with some better brushes).
also, keep in mind the good fine art artist's rule: size matters. You will never like it on small screen. anything looks better on huge canvas.

Sep 08, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

Thanks KittyK for the info

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:21 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Making a Watercolor from a photo.

Topaz Simplify watercolor effect then blend with original copy to taste... Inexpensive & easy...

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:32 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password