Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

gooutside
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Hello all,

About a year ago I stumbled on a used Samsung NX10 for a ridiculous price. I was keen to try an APS mirrorless camera as I do like the idea of true APS-C quality in a much smaller (& lighter) camera. During a few vacations I brought my NX10 with 18-55 kit lens along with my full size Canon outfit and every time I went through the photos afterwards I was able to get outstanding results from the NX10 with very little PP. In many cases i had to work much harder on my Canon 7D files to get similar looks...(esp colour)

Fast forward to today and after picking up a swack more NX lenses including the vaunted 85mmf 1.4 from Henrys (camera store in Toronto) I am now seriously considering selling off most of my Canon gear. The NX lenses that I own : 16mm f2.4; 30mm f2; 85mm f1.4 are outstanding. The 85 in particular is one of the best lenses I have ever owned which puts it up there with the Sony/Zeiss 135mm f1.8.

Samsung is rumoured to be releasing a 55mm f1.8 pancake which would be a perfect complement to their 16 and 30mm pancakes + a 70-400 OIS lens which would be a first (like the 85) for a mirrorless system...

The NX cameras are small but not fiddly (basically perfect in my mind). The ergonomics are very good and the new NX20 certainly specs out well other than a poorly sized buffer for continuous shooting. Samsung's biggest problem seems to be the negative hype around noise and DR...The point of my post is make sure you check these cameras out if you are in the market for mirrorless....Samsung's marketing is not the best so it seems they tend to get forgotten in most comparisons.

Sep 03, 2012 at 05:34 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.1 #2 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Why no love for the NX brand?

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:04 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #3 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

I am sure that Samsung will be proud of you

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:08 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #4 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Yeah, it's like reading a marketing brochure from Samsung...

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Why not post some pics.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:14 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #6 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Just for fun, here are some from my pre-NEX era, using Samsung NX11. You can't imagine how hard it was to focus legacy glass with only 2x magnification available.

Takumar 50mm f1.4

SAM_3789 by briantho, on Flickr

SAM_3784 by briantho, on Flickr

Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L

Isabelle by briantho, on Flickr

Isabelle by briantho, on Flickr

10160534 by briantho, on Flickr

Dreamy Birch by briantho, on Flickr

Canon FD 24mm f2

SAM_1383 by briantho, on Flickr

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

^ - nice, lets see some more - that's all I need is another camera to consider.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:25 PM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

I was disappointed with the liveview/EVF lag in the 20 & 200 I haven't looked at the newer offerings yet since I went with the NEX-7, I'm still waiting to see their retro cam that they teased us with.
Other reasons it not that popular here is M lens clearance issues.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM
kahren
• • •
p.1 #9 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

they need to make something with a tilt screen already, even some of their p&s models have this

Nov 01, 2012 at 12:16 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #10 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

I believe NX20 has a fully articulated LCD

Nov 01, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

curious80
• • •
p.1 #11 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

A couple of snaps. Nothing special but just some pictures I took when I got the camera and was playing around with it:

Nov 01, 2012 at 12:25 AM
mann_p
• •
p.1 #12 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

LightShow wrote:
I was disappointed with the liveview/EVF lag in the 20 & 200 I haven't looked at the newer offerings yet since I went with the NEX-7, I'm still waiting to see their retro cam that they teased us with.
Other reasons it not that popular here is M lens clearance issues.

You wouldn't happen to know how the 20 evf lag compares to the OM-D would you? I'm planning on replacing mine with the NX20 primarily for max shutter speed.

Nov 01, 2012 at 04:03 AM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

My response was along the lines of yuck while panning.
No experience with the OMD yet.

Nov 01, 2012 at 06:22 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

I'm more than happy with the results from my NX200. Would love to have the NX20, but wont get it as long as the NX200 is ticking. In the mean time I'll enjoy the small size and robust build of my NX200. The NX lenses are excellent and can be great bargains.

Nov 01, 2012 at 06:55 AM
mann_p
• •
p.1 #15 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

I found a review of the nx20 on ephotozine.com

I haven't read the review yet because I went straight to the sample photos. I noticed something not right in the wide shots - right side softer than the left. Reminds me of the decentering issues the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 had (I actually owned one copy with said issue).

Here are the direct links to the hires photos
Photo 1

Photo 2

I hope it's just the lens and not the camera itself.

Nov 07, 2012 at 02:34 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.1 #16 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Hoof, I notice you beating the Samsung drum around here. I think that's good actually, it seems like the NX's are the stepchildren of the mirrorless segment. From what I've read/seen there are some very nice lenses in the lineup.

I think if every system has one thing it seems to get right, maybe it's the lens lineup for Samsung.

Main problem for me is lack of user feedback. How the sensor and EVF stackup against the NEX or OM-D are important factors and it's hard to get a handle on that from lack of people who use the camera in real life.

Nov 07, 2012 at 03:43 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #17 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Jacob, there's a reason there's a "lack of people who use the camera in real life". Samsung isn't offering anything competetive, and they still think they can get away with charging as much (or more) as Olympus or Sony does for their top of the line models. The NX20 would perhaps be interesting at $300, as a budget alternative to the proven champions, but at $1000+... just forget it.

Nov 07, 2012 at 04:34 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

mann_p wrote:
I found a review of the nx20 on ephotozine.com

I haven't read the review yet because I went straight to the sample photos. I noticed something not right in the wide shots - right side softer than the left. Reminds me of the decentering issues the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 had (I actually owned one copy with said issue).

Here are the direct links to the hires photos
Photo 1

Photo 2

I hope it's just the lens and not the camera itself.

Lens issue, decentered 18-55mm. Or rather say, one particular sample which apparently was used for multiple reviews was decentered. But its not only one so I suspect there might be more of them.. Most ppl didnt have this issue tho. And I think good reviewer would ask Samsung if he can get non-decentered piece.

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:06 PM
jj birder
• •
p.1 #19 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

briantho wrote:
Jacob, there's a reason there's a "lack of people who use the camera in real life". Samsung isn't offering anything competetive, and they still think they can get away with charging as much (or more) as Olympus or Sony does for their top of the line models. The NX20 would perhaps be interesting at $300, as a budget alternative to the proven champions, but at $1000+... just forget it.

Is this a Swedish pricing thing? Samsung tend to be cheaper than Olympus and Sony here in UK. The NX20 plus lens is available here for 700 after cashback with a 7inch tablet thrown in. Olympus and Sony (and Fuji) are the 1000+ cameras here (for in-built EVF camera and lens package).

NX20 is a 200 camera? I wish there was something good on the market from any manufacturer at that price. I can't even think of a decent compact for 200. The last few NX200 are selling for 350. Coupled with the 30mm that is excellent image quality for less than 500.

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:52 AM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #20 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Could be prices in Sweden are higher. NEX cameras are pretty cheap here, and there are cashbacks deals available on most Sony cameras atm.

BTW, the NEX-F3 + 18-55 is available here for 200 after cashback, a great camera for 200.

Nov 08, 2012 at 07:05 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password