Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Using Video to Capture Stills

azngigolo64
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using Video to Capture Stills

Newbie here so please excuse the ignorance.

I was shooting video at a gun range the other day and realized that movie stills are pretty darn good from the 5D Mark 2. I am going to be at a pool party tomorrow and would like to get shots of my friends diving into the pool and trying to capture that perfect moment in the air. Since the stills FPS is only 3.9 vs 30 fps for video, has anyone ever tried recording video and then using the stills from the video? Or will I be happier with using burst mode and timing the shots? Thoughts?

Sep 03, 2012 at 04:48 AM
Liquidstone
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using Video to Capture Stills

azngigolo64 wrote:

I was shooting video at a gun range the other day and realized that movie stills are pretty darn good from the 5D Mark 2. I am going to be at a pool party tomorrow and would like to get shots of my friends diving into the pool and trying to capture that perfect moment in the air. Since the stills FPS is only 3.9 vs 30 fps for video, has anyone ever tried recording video and then using the stills from the video? Or will I be happier with using burst mode and
...Show more

The still frames from 1920x1080 5D2 video should be quite good enough for very small prints (say 5"x7"), for newspaper use, for web postings or any application where high-res is not needed. You get in effect 30 fps @ 2MP. However, the still files will be highly compressed with a lot of artifacts. These can easily break down if post processed aggressively, thus the exposure and other image parameters must be close to spot on as captured.

Here's a sample still from a video capture.

Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus)
5D2 + Sigmonster (Sigma 300-800 DG) + Canon 2x TC, 1600 mm, 475B/3421 support, grabbed from 1920x1080 video capture, uncropped full frame, processed and resized to 1280x720

Sep 03, 2012 at 04:58 AM
UnknownSouljer

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using Video to Capture Stills

I've done burst shots on the 5D2, and it was pretty darn effective if I say so myself. <4FPS doesn't seem like it's a lot, but in your case with person after person jumping into a pool, you get good at it, and if you keep at it throughout the day, you'll get a surprising number of keepers.

I've done this with the standard "everyone jump in the air" shot, "people on water slides," "water balloon fights," and various other forms of action. Other advantages of doing it that way is you can control the shutter speed. For action, that is CRITICAL. If you want to get people frozen in air, you CANNOT do that with video, as they will be motion blurred. You'd have to shoot at a higher fps than 30, which the 5D2 is not capable of. Lastly, video will be limited to 1080p, I suppose it's debatable whether or not you need the full resolution of 5D2, but I'd rather have full resolution than not, as hey, HD space is relatively cheap.

Sep 03, 2012 at 04:59 AM
dunderwood
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using Video to Capture Stills

If you want to get people frozen in air, you CANNOT do that with video, as they will be motion blurred. You'd have to shoot at a higher fps than 30, which the 5D2 is not capable of

You're confusing frame rate with shutter speed. You can easily freeze action by manually setting a high shutter speed, same as you would for a still photo. The video will look 'choppy' (think Saving Private Ryan's opening sequence) with a fast shutter speed, but it will still work.

Sep 03, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Jay Connor
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using Video to Capture Stills

liquidstone

I am amazed by the quality of your frame grab

Can you tell me what program you used to grab it

Best
Jay

Sep 03, 2012 at 03:35 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using Video to Capture Stills

azngigolo64 wrote:

I was shooting video at a gun range the other day and realized that movie stills are pretty darn good from the 5D Mark 2. I am going to be at a pool party tomorrow and would like to get shots of my friends diving into the pool and trying to capture that perfect moment in the air. Since the stills FPS is only 3.9 vs 30 fps for video, has anyone ever tried recording video and then using the stills from the video? Or will I be happier with using burst mode and
...Show more

okish for web I guess, the cameras don't even grab 1920x1080, it's a bit softer than that and there can be lots of compression artifacts, etc. but so long as you can frame as you wish and don't need to crop them any it might get you some pretty decent 1000-1200 across or so sized web images (so long as you don't run into moire issues with the 5D2 or have lots of details in shadow areas that you want (where the compression tends to block them to crap often))

Sep 03, 2012 at 07:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using Video to Capture Stills

oh you will want to bump shutter speed way up though compared to what you'd want if you were using the footage in movie form

and you shouldn't do extreme ETTR as might at times for RAW you want all the in cam settings and expsoure and everything to be done close to how the final product should look (maybe turn contrast down a bit to save some DR, but i'm not sure I'd go as flat as the cinema pic style plug ins since they are so aggressively flat they can be hard to bring back without falling apart at times IMO)

Sep 03, 2012 at 07:16 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using Video to Capture Stills

The quality is low, very low .. there is a great deal of compression taking place as can be expected at such high frame rates. But looking at video frame by frame as stills is an amazing experience .. such things as a eye blink or a fly quickly buzzing through the frame are given quite a few frames to look at.

Sep 04, 2012 at 02:37 AM
Liquidstone
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using Video to Capture Stills

Jay Connor wrote:
liquidstone

I am amazed by the quality of your frame grab

Can you tell me what program you used to grab it

Best
Jay

Thanks, Jay. I used Zoombroser EX, the SW that came with the camera.

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Using Video to Capture Stills

I enjoyed seeing the frame capture of the bird. Nice.

Also found the discussion points interesting too.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:47 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Using Video to Capture Stills

Don't the "astro people" stack video frames as well as stills to get better resolution and decreased noise?
Seems I read about this sometime in the distant past when "researching" astro options...

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:03 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password