Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · From Shaniko, OR
  
 
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · From Shaniko, OR


A former major sheep transport site in its glory days, now a twice resurrected ghost town - General Store is only establishment open year round to serve highway traffic and surrounding ranchers. Unfortunately owner asked I not take any pictures of her but she was warm and friendly: "Best cup of coffee in town" ... I inquired if it was the "Only cup of coffee in town?" and she just smiled in return.

Comments appreciated.

Bob






Outside General Store just off Highway 97

  NIKON D7000    17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8 lens    32mm    f/8.0    1/320s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  






Partial front door down and bell down the street from Genreal Store and Hotel (now closed)

  NIKON D7000    17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8 lens    34mm    f/8.0    1/250s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  




Sep 02, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Oregon Gal
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · From Shaniko, OR


I like both images. I wish the Mastercard and Visa logo wasn't visible in image #1.


Sep 02, 2012 at 11:32 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · From Shaniko, OR


Oregon Gal wrote:
I like both images. I wish the Mastercard and Visa logo wasn't visible in image #1.


+1 ... also, the neon sign.

I like the tones on #2.



Sep 03, 2012 at 12:22 AM
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · From Shaniko, OR


I really like the second image. Simply states a worn but welcoming place, now aged.
While I like the subject of the first and the various elements captured (weed, antique furniture, woven baskets, flag) and the Americana it represents, the whitewashed fence feels quite dominant, detracting from the overall image.
Scott



Sep 03, 2012 at 02:58 PM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · From Shaniko, OR


Barbara & Kent,

Thanks for your comments - agree about the clutter but opted for the reality of the moment.

Barbara, you can understand the clutter as you've been there I believe.

Bob



Sep 03, 2012 at 05:34 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · From Shaniko, OR


sbeme wrote:
I really like the second image. Simply states a worn but welcoming place, now aged.
While I like the subject of the first and the various elements captured (weed, antique furniture, woven baskets, flag) and the Americana it represents, the whitewashed fence feels quite dominant, detracting from the overall image.
Scott


Thanks Scott,

Of the images captured at that location, think I like the door best. Not being alone, doing it properly (tripod, mirror up, remote release - and an ensuing birthday party for 6 year-old yet 45 minutes away) was not an option.

regards,

Bob




Sep 03, 2012 at 05:37 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · From Shaniko, OR


Bob Jarman wrote:
doing it properly (tripod, mirror up, remote release - and an ensuing birthday party for 6 year-old yet 45 minutes away) was not an option.



I'm a tripod junkie ... but 1/250 @ 38mm more than handles FL camera shake or mirror slap ... with f8 usually being pretty close the sweet spot for many lenses. Not much need for a "shallow DOF" for such a planar subject as the door.

That being said ... I'd say you capture it just fine.



Sep 03, 2012 at 07:00 PM
Oregon Gal
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · From Shaniko, OR


Yes Bob, I was there in June of this year, neat place but can be tough to get compositions. Overnight trip to Shaniko then stayed overnight in Prineville to spend the next morning at the Painted Hills before heading home. Looks like you were out here a couple of weeks ago by your exif data and had a little spare time for photography


Sep 03, 2012 at 08:04 PM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · From Shaniko, OR


Oregon Gal wrote:
Yes Bob, I was there in June of this year, neat place but can be tough to get compositions. Overnight trip to Shaniko then stayed overnight in Prineville to spend the next morning at the Painted Hills before heading home. Looks like you were out here a couple of weeks ago by your exif data and had a little spare time for photography


Our daughter, one of them, & family live in Prineville. A week there but only ~ 1 day for shooting, otherwise kids soccer, haircuts, birthday party, school supplies, etc. Lots of images but not much FM'ers would be interested in. Maybe 1 or 2 I can think of. As you can appreciate, for some areas, Smith Rock for example, late afternoon light is a must - we were there ~ 8AM.


NTL, enjoyed the time with family & away from work

Bob





Sep 03, 2012 at 08:14 PM





FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password