Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              10       11       end

Archive 2012 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

Steve Torelli
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

Hello All,
This post was prompted by a recent visit to Cameralabs, a British site where I read their review of the Nikon 800 (As an aside. Don't you think the manufacturers can drop the D from the title of every body made these days ? After all this time I think it's safe to assume it is, in fact, a digital camera.) In the review, they spent as much time going on about the cameras video capabilities as anything else.
It got me to thinking. How many people consider video important to the purchase of an SLR body ?
Let me expose my bias right off the bat here. AFAIC I couldn't care less about it and would gladly pay less money for, say a 5MK III without it if video was an option rather than just included whether you wanted it or not.
Other than wedding photographers who can save some time and money by doing the wedding pix and videos themselves, we're talking home movies here. Something you use a lot ? Something you consider nice to have even if you don't use it often ? Your primary reason for the purchase, or like me, something that's just never used.
I don't know how to set up a poll in this post, but I'd like to see how the community feels about it.
Good Luck, Steve

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:14 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

Not unless it has AF.

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:23 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

don't care at all

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:28 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

Steve, while it may seem that your example of a lower. Priced 5D3 sans video , it probably wouldn't change the price of the camera at all. In fact it could be argued that the slight reduction in target market means that less of that camera would be sold so it could end up costing more.

And no I have no interest in DSLR video ,I'd rather use my p&s or my phone .

But I know a couple of people that bought a VDSLR for the video .

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:30 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

I take alot of video in the winter, and photos also. I have a camcorder for video, and am currently using a 7D for photo's. I plan to take the non skiing video with the 7D, however I would have purchased it even if it didn't have video capabilities. For me it's nice to have but not neccessary and does not influence my purchase.

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:31 PM
broncoholic
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

I would love to have a 5D3 "without" the video. I have a 5D2 and I have never used the video and I have no intention of ever using it.

It will be the same with the 5D3, when I upgrade to it.

I can see why some love the video especially, if your into that type thing, you get the best of both worlds.

Just not what I use my camera for, but, to each their own.

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:34 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

broncoholic wrote:
I would love to have a 5D3 "without" the video. I have a 5D2 and I have never used the video and I have no intention of ever using it.

It will be the same with the 5D3, when I upgrade to it.

But as your not compelled to use it and it being there does not affect it if you don't use it then why worry. Like I said it wouldnt make it any cheaper .

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:37 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

The video is a nice perk, but rarely use it. It's here to stay though, no point in getting excited about a camera without it. Unless you switch to Leica...

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:39 PM
rodmcwha
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

While I normally do stills for album art and promotional material, the ability to whip together a good quality music video has been wonderful.
If you don't want-don't use it. If you don't shoot action, do you complain that the camera has the ability to continuous AF?

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:40 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

I have four DSLRs with video capability. The first was the 5DII. I've used that a few times for interviews and musical performances, always with the camera fixed on a tripod, no zooming, no change of focus, and no editing of the product. So far, I haven't even tried the video in the newer bodies! I'm glad to know that it's there should I find a use for it, and as Ian Dobinson pointed out, it probably doesn't add to the price we pay. However, the only way it could have influenced my purchase decisions would have been if the video controls interfered with ease of still shooting. They don't really, so I don't care.

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

It doesn't do any harm to have it and not use it, but i personally have no interest in video. Indeed i don't even have it on a DSLR, only on my Fuji X10, where i don't use it.

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:42 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

The two cameras that I am currently using are my second and third Canon bodies with video capability. I could not even say with certainty whether the video even works on them because, in the 4 years or so that I've had camera bodies with video capability, I have not used those video capabilities a single time on any of those bodies.

Les

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:44 PM
broncoholic
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
But as your not compelled to use it and it being there does not affect it if you don't use it then why worry. Like I said it wouldnt make it any cheaper .

Not worried about it, He asked a question and I gave my answer.

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

It is of zero use to me. I wish the R&D money were allocated to better sensors or something else.

EBH

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:17 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

useless
especially for panning or sports due to rolling shutter effect

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:21 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

Been a stills guy for over 40yrs, video is a nice to have but is rarely used; my G12 and galaxy nexus handle it for now. However, I've no doubt that when a 5D3 joins my kit that I'll be recording a sunset, surfing contest or family events, etc.

I'm already playing with Magic Lantern on my 50D and am liking it...it is a nice perk and having L glass to shoot with is quite nice...with a FF sensor it should fun...stills are my game but who knows where ones creative passions may turn or not

And I agree with Ian, costs would probably increase due to fewer sales; a margin loss. Movie mode is the big "consumer" honey that pervades high tech gadgets...it's not going away, it's just part of the deal; the "you need it because everyone's got it!" game.

Shoot film or get a non-movied DSLR if you don't want it I guess...rarely does tech move backwards!

Jerry

Edited on Sep 02, 2012 at 05:56 PM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:22 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

I'm a big advocate of it. I know many people who almost refused to buy a camera simply because it had video, but later found a use for it. The thing about Video is that you need to have a project of some sort to make use of it. Though you may not have a need for it right now, that day may come.

A friend of mine is a wildlife photographer, and had zero interest in video. Nearly a year after buying his latest camera, he witnessed some unusual behavior in an animal, and decided to flip his camera into video mode and capture it.

Still and video require completely different thinking processes, and this is difficult for most still photographers to adapt to. However, some subjects are well suited for still, others are better suited for video. Those who say "I don't want a camera with video on it" might as well be saying "get off my lawn"

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:23 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

I think my 5DII can take video, or so I have read, but I have no interest in it.

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:28 PM
bcguy
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

I'd rather not have it. I have zero interest. I would rather attempt to say a thousand words with a still rather than make my viewer wait for the punch line.

I hate internet video too, as a matter of fact. I'd rather read than watch a video. I suppose I have a patience problem.

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:30 PM
bcguy
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How important is video in a DSLR to you ?

EB-1 wrote:
It is of zero use to me. I wish the R&D money were allocated to better sensors or something else.

EBH

I agree with this 100%. Well put.

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password