New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Olympus OM-D Grip Choices

rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus OM-D Grip Choices

Well, I know I want to get a grip for my OM-D and there are several choices out there. The OEM grip from Olympus looks the best IMHO but I don't know if I like the idea of removing the grip just to take out the battery. There's the J Milich grip, which if as good as the Buchanan grip for the NEX-7, would be awesome. Lastly, Really Right Stuff has a grip for this camera as well but I've heard little about it.

I want a grip for a better 'in-hand' feel when holding the camera as my first priority. As for vertical shooting or a vertical bracket, those are secondary. I've read some reviews on each but still deciding which way to go. So, I'd like to hear any experiences out there especially if you have tried more than one of these options.

Sep 01, 2012 at 10:32 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus OM-D Grip Choices

I think it really is going to depend on how big of a lens do you think you're going to put on it.

With the smaller lenses like the 45mm or 25mm or kits, my small hands do great with no grip. With a bigger lens + adapter, a grip helps out far more than I thought it would.

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:57 PM
bobby_t1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus OM-D Grip Choices

I got the olympus HLD-6 after considering the Millich grip. I have zero regrets. Super comfy and I like the extra controls. It's also slick the the grip is two pieces.

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:33 AM
heed
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus OM-D Grip Choices

Here is a thread I started to deal with this specific question in my typical anal-retentive over-analysis fashion: http://www.mu-43.com/f67/grip-l-plate-e-m5-30390/

Maybe there are some thoughts there to help you.

In the end, I went with the J Millich grip and love it. Don't miss the added shutter button from the Oly grip (or extra cost!) and didn't like the styling of the RRS. Plus, the RRS grip portion attaches on the side and cannot easily be replaced with a custom part, whereas the JLM grip portion could be remade from whatever you like (a nice wood perhaps?) and simply screwed in from the bottom.

Good luck!

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:42 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus OM-D Grip Choices

One of the big gripes about the Oly grip is that you have to remove the grip to change the battery. I heard the camera/grip combo can work with one battery so the question is, can that one battery be in the grip rather than the camera? If so, does this alleviate the issue if I'm willing to go with only one battery?

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:53 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus OM-D Grip Choices

rji2goleez wrote:
One of the big gripes about the Oly grip is that you have to remove the grip to change the battery. I heard the camera/grip combo can work with one battery so the question is, can that one battery be in the grip rather than the camera? If so, does this alleviate the issue if I'm willing to go with only one battery?

Only if you are using both pieces of the grip. While the vertical grip makes the camera exceedingly comfortable to use in a portrait orientation, it also makes the camera pretty big and adds a chunk of weight to it. If you are going to use it this way all of the time then Nikon and Canon have better offerings IMO and might actually be smaller.

Sep 02, 2012 at 07:28 AM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus OM-D Grip Choices

Today I received my RRS BOEM5 LSE combo L-Bracket and Grip. I'll have to use it for a while to form meaningful opinions, but initial impresssions are all positive. Clearly 'tho will help with handling bigger/longer lenses such as my 200mm prime shown. There is a significant difference in the feel of the camera. My fingers were pretty well trained to find all of the buttons without taking my eye from the EVF, but will need retraining now. My initial reaction is that this unit should just stay on the camera, and that is what I will do for now. The silver is fairly close to that of the camera - not as far off as the lighting here makes it seem. I think it looks quite nice, and doesn't add much to the size of the camera. All ports, doors etc. are fully accessable.

Sep 07, 2012 at 06:06 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus OM-D Grip Choices

Any color versions?

Sep 07, 2012 at 06:41 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus OM-D Grip Choices

To me, removing the grip to replace the battery is not such a big deal. The Oly grips are far more elegant (to me) than the generic grips ... and I do like the additional shutter release and EV dial on both grips.

rji2goleez wrote:

Sep 07, 2012 at 09:56 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.