FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Storing and accessing your gear

nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Storing and accessing your gear

A year or so ago I asked this question and want to toss it out again:

How do you work with your gear at home or in studio? We all have tons of different items from batteries and filters to cameras and lenses to strobes and stands.

How do you store and organize your stuff?

[Posting in both the General Gear board and the People board for greater visibility (and hopefully response) if that’s okay with Fred]

Sep 01, 2012 at 10:13 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Storing and accessing your gear

For storage I have 1000 lb. gun safe with a custom built cabinet inside. It looks like a heavy duty file cabinet with 6 drawers that I have installed wooden dividers in and then foam lined. The two larger ones hold my 300 2.8 and my 500 f4. The others hold bodies, lenses, flashes and other misc. equipment.

Sep 02, 2012 at 09:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Storing and accessing your gear

my gear is generally in constant use.
http://ic2.pbase.com/o2/89/44489/1/120503988.CCUFF9DT.IMG_1231.jpg
it has never looked this neat.

Sep 02, 2012 at 09:52 AM
eric_m
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Storing and accessing your gear

I bought a Rubbermaid cabinet that's not quite six foot tall. Lenses and bodies go on the two bottom shelves. The upper shelves hold various photo gear that isn't as gravity-phobic.

Sep 02, 2012 at 11:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Storing and accessing your gear

I store my lenses and cameras in a dry cabinet. I keep batteries, support gizmos, flash doodads, and etc. in a set of drawers, and on a bookshelf. I keep bags, light modifiers and similar stuff on a set of open wire shelves that fills a doorless 4x4 closet space.

Dry cabinet, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1002126/0&year=2011#9562176

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:15 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Storing and accessing your gear

Much of my gear stays in my Tamrac backpack on the bottom shelf of a gun safe that has shelves in place of rifle holders/dividers. The shelves above it hold all the flashes,Pocket Wizards, and other gear like my 300 2.8 in its case, extra camera body, etc.

Sep 02, 2012 at 10:00 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Storing and accessing your gear

Thanks so much for the replies guys. Keep em coming.

Sep 03, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Storing and accessing your gear

Sjms, which pelican is that? How do you like it? What would you do different if you had to do it again?

I have been looking for a "home base" for the bulk of my gear, and then I will use smaller bags for "kits" that I can build for a given project/assignment. I was considering the big think tanks, but for the money and my specific usage, I feel the pelican is a better option, and still portable as well if I want to bring the whole shebang.

Thanks,
Paul

Sep 03, 2012 at 01:22 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Storing and accessing your gear

In a closet, in backpacks and camera bags, in cabinets, everywhere.

EBH

Sep 03, 2012 at 01:59 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Storing and accessing your gear

Paulthelefty wrote:
Sjms, which pelican is that? How do you like it? What would you do different if you had to do it again?

I have been looking for a "home base" for the bulk of my gear, and then I will use smaller bags for "kits" that I can build for a given project/assignment. I was considering the big think tanks, but for the money and my specific usage, I feel the pelican is a better option, and still portable as well if I want to bring the whole shebang.

Thanks,
Paul

model 1660. i've had it for about 3 years now and it does its job well. a few zorb it packs keeps it nice inside when closed for more the a week which is rare. these are tools that are used regularly in all environments.

portable? yes technically as long as you have an assist. mine weighs in at just under 95lbs at this point.

Sep 03, 2012 at 02:06 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Storing and accessing your gear

My wife gave me the large closet in a spare bedroom.

Sep 03, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Storing and accessing your gear

Mine stays in a pelican 1660 with 3-4 of the pelican moisture soakers to keep the humidity low and the pelican is nice and air tight.

Sep 03, 2012 at 10:00 PM
hidden_Markov
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Storing and accessing your gear

camera plus last lens used stored in a lowepro bag. Sling bag type so its lens down. I find it helps keep dust issues at bay after reading the trick somewhere.

pelican case holds the additional glass used most plus filters and accesories like cable release, gps, grip etc.

Some other glass in a cabinet drawer, these the less used and I really need to crap or get off the pot and sell em glass tbh.

Sep 05, 2012 at 07:16 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Storing and accessing your gear

DGC1 wrote:
For storage I have 1000 lb. gun safe with a custom built cabinet inside. It looks like a heavy duty file cabinet with 6 drawers that I have installed wooden dividers in and then foam lined. The two larger ones hold my 300 2.8 and my 500 f4. The others hold bodies, lenses, flashes and other misc. equipment.

+1 on that. My safe has a dehumidifier. Now I know my many thousands of $$$$$ are SAFE!!

Sep 15, 2012 at 04:34 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Storing and accessing your gear

I didn't buy my gun safe with a dehumidifier and considered getting some packs to put inside it. But I never did. Would you recommend these?

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:41 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Storing and accessing your gear

THis was my solution except purchased a new home with an extra bedroom with a large closet and built in cabinets to store my gear

EB-1 wrote:
In a closet, in backpacks and camera bags, in cabinets, everywhere.

EBH

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:05 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Storing and accessing your gear

andyz wrote:
I didn't buy my gun safe with a dehumidifier and considered getting some packs to put inside it. But I never did. Would you recommend these?

Pelican makes some inexpensive dehumidifier cartridges that can be renewed in an oven.

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Storing and accessing your gear

That's pelican markets/sells them

Sep 16, 2012 at 03:22 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Storing and accessing your gear

Thanks. More than a year ago I thought about these and never looked into them. I have 4 on order.

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:08 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Storing and accessing your gear

Seems the 4-pack is a counterfeit one from Amazon going from reviews. Is it fine to order them still?

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:58 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.