1       2       3              8      
       10              18       19       end

Archive 2012 · Fall Color 2012

Jet915
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Fall Color 2012

woodsy3629 wrote:
Has anyone been in Utah recently that has an update on the conditions?

I'm going to be heading to Zion, Moab & Bryce in the 2nd week of Oct.

Will all traces of color be gone by then?

Has anyone got any shots

Regards

Woodsy

I could be wrong but Zion usually peaks end of October/early November...not sure there is much fall color around Bryce or Moab.

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:24 PM
woodsy3629

p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Fall Color 2012

Excellent, Just what I was hoping to hear.

I can adjust my trip to be in zion later rather than earlier.

Woodsy

Sep 26, 2012 at 04:36 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Fall Color 2012

I did a quick drive up on the BRP from Balsam Gap to Graveyard Fields this evening. There is definitely more color than when I was last up there this past Sunday. I believe it did freeze in places and the trees have started to turn more rapidly. However, it is still a couple weeks away from a broad peak though Graveyard Fields will peak sooner. While the weekend might provide some good localized color, the week after Oct 6 would have more widespread change. I'll be up there again soon.

Here's a pic I took while driving by the Second Falls on the Yellowstone Prong at Graveyard Fields. Still lots of green but some good color starting to mix in.

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:11 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Fall Color 2012

Im in Telluride now till saturday. Anyone around?

I spent the past 4 days in Aspen. The bells had good snow the past few days but the weather, except for this morning, has been atrocious. Cloudy, steady rain, with a few thunderstorms mixed in. One yesterday knocked a LOT of leaves! . I camped out in the Silver Bell campsite. Nice. But this morning was cold with lots of frost!

Peak is past in most of the aspen area but there are some rogue groves that are behind and amazing. The canyon to ashcroft is loaded with color although many patches are bare.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:46 PM
astv99
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Fall Color 2012

Colorado update 9/26:

Just got back home from my photo trip. Due to the weather (cloudy & rainy) it was mostly a bust and I didn't get to see everything I would've liked, but on the plus side, all those clouds made for some pretty amazing views. I tried incorporating the clouds into a lot of shots too - mostly on the mountain peaks around Paonia (where I stayed) and McClure Pass/Pitkin county.

I ended up forgoing a second day on Kebler Pass to drive around McClure Pass, which had mostly peak or just-past color.

On my way home today I went through McClure Pass again (which was better since it was less cloudy) and took a short side trip to Marble, which I'd never been to before somehow. I was blown away by the valley that Marble is in - wow! The color in the Marble valley was fantastic, and it was really close-in too (didn't need to use my super-tele lens as much).

Next year I'm just going to forget about Kebler Pass. Although it was only my 2nd time there, I came away thinking that it's overrated. There aren't enough turn-offs on the road for better angles, inclement weather can make the road muddy (which was annoying), and not a whole lot of established hiking trails either, to really get into the thick aspen forests. I think next year I'm going to focus on the Marble valley, or the San Juans. Have rarely been in the San Juans mostly because it's just too far away, will have to check out that area more.

I'm heading out on another photo trip next week to Utah (Arches, Capitol Reef, & Bryce) and will hopefully find some fall color there. After that I'll be looking forward to the fall color in the Northeast US next - will be going to Massachusetts & Maine in mid-October. I like how the fall color is staggered out around the country.

It was definitely an early peak for Colorado this year btw. I'll be surprised if anyone finds peak color anywhere in the state this coming weekend. Everything I saw from Alamosa to Gunnison to the Delta valley to McClure and all points along I-70 was either already peak or past. I'd like to check out RMNP again too but unfortunately won't have time until after next week.

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:45 AM
Kelly Phillips
• • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Fall Color 2012

Thank you Andy for your photo you posted. Looks like ill be down that way a little later.

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:29 AM
garyroach
• • • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Fall Color 2012

Came across Independence Pass this morning. Still lots of color on the Twin Lakes side and Aspen side. Beautiful snow and clouds on the top. Really hate being back in "civilization" (Denver). Fly home tomorrow. But, it was a great trip!

Sep 27, 2012 at 09:57 PM
Grahamc
• • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Fall Color 2012

Just come from the Eastern Sierra.
The road up to South Lake is stunning.
At Lake Sabrina the colours are just changing.
At North Lake there is atouch of colour, but it probably needs a couple of days to be at its best.
Photos to follow.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Fall Color 2012

Just at Glacier last Thursday. The yellows still had a fair amount of Green. Pretty dry, so they may go fast. Should be about right by now. Jackson Wyoming was further along, but smoke is the big issue for the northwest. Not going to be a lot of great long shots. Unless you are going for the hazy look. Very sad. Still the most beautiful region of the US, IMHO of course.

The White mountains of New Hampshire, yesterday while on the eastern slope was really late in turning. There is more color in the lowlands of southern Maine. Still may need a week or so. A good frost may get things moving.

Sep 28, 2012 at 07:47 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Fall Color 2012

Just at Glacier last Thursday. The yellows still had a fair amount of Green. Pretty dry, so they may go fast. Should be about right by now. Jackson Wyoming was further along, but smoke is the big issue for the northwest. Not going to be a lot of great long shots. Unless you are going for the hazy look. Very sad. Still the most beautiful region of the US, IMHO of course.

The White mountains of New Hampshire, yesterday while on the eastern slope was really late in turning. There is more color in the lowlands of southern Maine. Still may need a week or so. A good frost may get things moving.

Sep 28, 2012 at 07:48 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Fall Color 2012

Double, sorry.

Sep 28, 2012 at 07:48 AM
piriya

p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Fall Color 2012

I went to Capital Peak today. It is peaking now. The road condition was not that wet and slippery.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k143/p-orbital/capitol.jpg

Sep 29, 2012 at 01:07 AM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Fall Color 2012

No were near cold enough for the trees to be turning yet, but, the golden rod's near it's peak here.

Sep 29, 2012 at 02:48 AM
LXShooter
• • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Fall Color 2012

Fall in Wisconsin

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:55 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Fall Color 2012

No fall colors in toasty Northern California, but my oak tree has shed almost all its leaves.

Sep 29, 2012 at 02:11 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Fall Color 2012

From my drive on the Alpine Loop on the other side of the Wasatch Mountains near Provo Utah. The weather sure did cooperate.

http://www.pbase.com/traveler/image/146396981/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/traveler/image/146396985/original.jpg

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:54 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Fall Color 2012

Bishop creek in California:
I'm no expert, but from today I'd say North Lake is basically peaking right now, or a little past on the north side of the lake, but with a little green on the east side of the lake.
The road on the west side of the lake is stunning. The pocket at the day use parking is past peak. The pocket at the base of north lake road is peaking. Just below lake Sabrina, it is peaking right now. At the lake it is past peak. Similarly south lake itself is passed peak, but a little South of the lake there is some truly spectacular gold and oranges. Four Jeffrey's is starting to change. Aspendell is still green.
That's my summation from today's exploring. Now if someone can whip up some nice dramatic clouds this coming morning that would be great

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:40 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Fall Color 2012

Ontario fall colours

http://www.pbase.com/dbellyk/image/146401484/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/dbellyk/image/146372375/original.jpg

Oct 01, 2012 at 12:43 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Fall Color 2012

fall along Lake Superior north shore in Minnesota

Oct 01, 2012 at 02:59 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Fall Color 2012

kurt765 wrote:
Bishop creek in California:
I'm no expert, but from today I'd say North Lake is basically peaking right now, or a little past on the north side of the lake, but with a little green on the east side of the lake.
The road on the west side of the lake is stunning. The pocket at the day use parking is past peak. The pocket at the base of north lake road is peaking. Just below lake Sabrina, it is peaking right now. At the lake it is past peak. Similarly south lake itself is passed peak, but a little
...Show more

Hey Kurt,

To second what you say about North Lake, it's a bit weird looking with the colors getting close to peak on the north side of the lake, but the east side of the lake with very little color. The typical wide angle shot of the lake doesn't work. The road to south lake is really looking good like you said, but at the higher elevations. The cool waterfall on the south side of that canyon is still surrrounded in green aspen, with just a hint of color. Just past it is where the color starts.

June Lake loop is still a week a way from peaking, color is just barely starting there.

The colors in the Owens valley are just barely started too.

At Conway Summit/ Dunderberg Meadow, there is color at the very top, and a patch of color at the very bottom, but in general it is still a week a way.

So for me, in general, I would suggest that next weekend (Oct 6-7) would be much nicer. In terms of what we think is "Normal" ( I know everyone can seem to have their own normal). But when I was in Colorado, in general the color was a week ahead of schedule, in the Eastern Sierra, it was a week behind my normal. So the best color I would say is still a week a way in the Eastern Sierra, only pockets of color now. Perhaps the difference being that it felt much warmer out here in the Sierra, than it did to me in Colorado.

Jim

Oct 01, 2012 at 11:32 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.