Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

Jim Cowsert
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

Just got an email from SmugMug that effective Oct. 15th or upon renewal that their Pro account is going up for existing Pro's to $250 if you set your own prices for their "Business" account or staying at $150 if you want a "Portfolio" account with the same features, but you can't set your own prices. For new business accounts the price is going up to $300.
The thing that I really liked about SmugMug was the unlimited storage and that has stayed the same for now. I'll probably downgrade to the cheapest plan for the online storage, but sell my prints elsewhere..
What other sites for selling are recommended? Any suggestions?

Sep 01, 2012 at 05:02 AM
pcschwenke
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

I found out about the price increase yesterday. I'm pretty ticked off. My account renewed less than a month ago and now they want more money. There excuse is storage prices have increased. The fact is hard drives keep going down in price. They should have people pay a certain price per Gig of data. They are already getting a cut of what people sell on the pro accounts. I'll be watching this post closely as well. Hope others reply. Good luck Jim.

I may end up jumping ship to a different host rather than deal with this or make my own website.

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:26 AM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

Exposuremanager might be an option?

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:53 AM
ravisrajan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

Thinking of jumping to Zenfolio due to this price increase. Another bad decision by Smugmug by increasing price by 67%, just like Netflix, lot of customer like me will teach another good leason to Smugmug

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:44 AM
Mike Schneider
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

This certainly is a hefty price increase. If anything, it will make me consider shopping for alternatives.

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:50 AM
redman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

Zenfolio

Sep 03, 2012 at 11:24 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

redman wrote:
Zenfolio

If you do international sales, no option for translation. If you do domestic or English countries only, its the one to chose.

Sep 03, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Diavolo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

This confirms I will not reup when my subscription is up. I dropped the setting my pro account last year. Now I'll go with something much cheaper or free. I can do a Wordpress for portfolio and I'll do another option for client proofing. That's an absurd price increase.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:47 AM
joesmosax
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

What are the benefits of Zenfolio vs Smugmug? The package prices seem pretty comparable between the two now. I think the problem Smugmug made was not raising prices sooner perhaps to avoid the sticker shock. Now that the prices are about the same I'm curious if Zenfolio offers a better service.

The biggest price jump is for the business account- for people selling downloads and prints for a profit. I think the convenience of that alone would be easily worth it to any professional who makes his living that way no? If this means SmugMug will be in a better position to release better features at a faster rate, I'm all for paying more.

Joe

Sep 09, 2012 at 03:48 PM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

That doesn't sound right... I had just renewed my account last month, and checked their blog, which says the price increase takes effect when you next renew. And, I have not had any notice from them that I owe more money.

pcschwenke wrote:
I found out about the price increase yesterday. I'm pretty ticked off. My account renewed less than a month ago and now they want more money. There excuse is storage prices have increased. The fact is hard drives keep going down in price. They should have people pay a certain price per Gig of data. They are already getting a cut of what people sell on the pro accounts. I'll be watching this post closely as well. Hope others reply. Good luck Jim.

I may end up jumping ship to a different host rather than deal with this or make
...Show more

Sep 10, 2012 at 09:48 PM
pcschwenke
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

Harrygilbert, you are correct. However, they posted on their blog about the specific details of the increase and they weren't sent out in an email. Based on the email sent to me previously, it could have been taken either way. When I first saw it I was upset. Atleast now I have time to change if needed next year.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

James Taylor wrote:
Exposuremanager might be an option?

At the moment I wouldn't suggest Exposuremanager, they just "combined" with Simply Color/Simply Canvas and I am currently having issues with their new lab. I've been told their quality is great from other photographers, but I just saw my first set of prints from them, because I had to go over to deal with a problem a customer had with them, and quite honestly I'm not impressed.

Matt

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:31 PM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SmugMug ups it's prices to Pro's

Matt, Thanks for the info! I've been using them for years with no problems. I think I need to order some prints to check on their recent quality.

I have so many galleries up that I'm afraid it would be a pain to try and transfer everything to a new provider

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:39 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password