Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Digital Art & Abstract | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Scanned Flower

Ned Bagno
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Scanned Flower

Read about scanning flowers so I gave it a try. Multiple filters in CS6. Thanks.

Sep 01, 2012 at 04:27 AM
jamach
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Scanned Flower

I like the texture and tone. And the flowers have a 3d look, great use of contrast

Joe

Sep 01, 2012 at 04:39 AM
Ned Bagno
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Scanned Flower

Thanks Joe. I have no idea what I am doing. These are literally the first two scans I made.

jamach wrote:
I like the texture and tone. And the flowers have a 3d look, great use of contrast

Joe

Sep 01, 2012 at 04:43 AM
BobR
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Scanned Flower

Impressive DOF and petal detail

Sep 03, 2012 at 08:36 PM
shortpballer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Scanned Flower

Both photos are very well done. Not a huge fan of flower pictures, but these really have an artistic aspect to them that is rarely seen.

Well done!

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:20 AM
aman74

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Scanned Flower

These are very nice, close to amazing. Can you tell us more about your technique, equipment, tutorials you may have found. I've always wanted to try this as well.

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:44 AM
Ned Bagno
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Scanned Flower

Thanks. This was my first try so I was pleased how they turned out. The inspiration came from the Howard Davis Book "Photographing Flowers"...

I just put the flower face down on the glass and put a piece of black velvet over it to keep the light out. In the book he built a 5" or so high box to go over the scanner glass. That's a better idea, I have to pick off a bunch of dust in photoshop.

I think the key was the processing. I don't remember all of the steps but I used CS6 to make the black blacker, etc. Used Nik filters to bring out the detail. I think I used 3-4 different Nik filters, but I don't remember. I just messed around with a bunch of combinations until I liked what I saw.

aman74 wrote:
These are very nice, close to amazing. Can you tell us more about your technique, equipment, tutorials you may have found. I've always wanted to try this as well.

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

aman74

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Scanned Flower

Thanks, I'll have to check out that book. I've looked up "scanography" on the web. I haven't spent a whole lot of time researching yet, but the sites are pretty sparse and vague and I didn't find any forums yet.

I'm trying to find out what scanners would be best? One thing I've heard mention of is that some give a bit more DOF than other designs. As far as other features, other than ppi, I wouldn't know what to look for.

Where did you source the flowers? I see all these beautiful flower photos and I don't have a source for many. I was wondering if people buy them at the florist if they or someone else they know doesn't happen to be growing them? I've often though of asking local florists if they have any "throwaways" that may still be suitable.

I understand if you don't have the time to answer. Either way, thanks for you thoughts thus far.

Sep 09, 2012 at 07:52 AM
Ned Bagno
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Scanned Flower

My scanner is a Epson 3170. I've had it for years so it just your basic cheap scanner. I really don't know what to look for either. As far as sourcing flowers I just found some at the grocery store.

Good luck

aman74 wrote:
Thanks, I'll have to check out that book. I've looked up "scanography" on the web. I haven't spent a whole lot of time researching yet, but the sites are pretty sparse and vague and I didn't find any forums yet.

I'm trying to find out what scanners would be best? One thing I've heard mention of is that some give a bit more DOF than other designs. As far as other features, other than ppi, I wouldn't know what to look for.

Where did you source the flowers? I see all these beautiful flower photos and I don't have a source for
...Show more

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:04 AM
aman74

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Scanned Flower

Thanks much!

Sep 11, 2012 at 07:41 AM
mlenny
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Scanned Flower

I like it

Oct 14, 2012 at 05:35 AM
videodude1961
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Scanned Flower

What a great idea for making images! I may have to try something like this. The level of detail is intense, thanks for the fine images.
Rich T.

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Mark Andrew

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Scanned Flower

I'm surprised there is so much depth of field from a scanner. I would have thought that the machine would be setup to focus exactly on the other side of the glass. But there is plenty of light so they probably use a cheaper lens that can't create a small depth of field.

The images are really nice. They almost look "clinical" but they definitely invoke an emotional response. I really think you're on to something and would love to see more.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:53 PM

FM Forums | Digital Art & Abstract | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password