Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Step-up rings

Josiah Jones
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Step-up rings

I have a vari-ND filter with 77mm threads that I use on a couple of my lenses. I have several other lenses that I want to use this filter with and need to purchase several step-up rings to do that.
Included are lenses with 52mm, 55mm, 62mm and 72mm threads.

Can someone recommend the BEST step-up rings (brand name) to purchase?

Josiah..

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:54 AM
JameelH
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Step-up rings

B+W are decent middle of the pack. If you want the best go with Heliopan which has brass rings (rather than aluminum). They are pricey though.

Sep 01, 2012 at 06:41 AM
neilvan
• •
p.1 #3 · Step-up rings

Yes, the Heliopan rings are fantastic, smooth and reliable.

Sep 01, 2012 at 09:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Step-up rings

with proper use and good quality rings you should have no real problems. B+W or Tiffen rings work quite well. they both have more rigidity too them giving a better fit an greater longevity.the HP brass are excellent but again at $47 (close to 2x of the rest) a decision one needs to make on how one uses them vs their cost.. i have managed to muddle along with the Tiffen and B+W.

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Josiah Jones
• • •
p.1 #5 · Step-up rings

Jameelh, Neilvan and sjms....Thanks for the info.

I understand that from many users that the brass ring is the best way to go.....less "sticking" I guess is what you call it when the ring won't come off? I can move forward now with a tad more knowledge.

Josiah

Sep 01, 2012 at 08:46 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Step-up rings

I haven't tried any Heliopans, but have a few B+W and cheaper Tiffen ones.
Frankly, I don't feel their is much of a difference between the two, since all the ones I have work perfectly fine. I tend to not over-tighten them, so my experience may be different then others.
The B+W have a better matte finish to the Tiffen shiny finish - but it really doesn't matter to me, as long as they work.

Sep 02, 2012 at 03:26 AM
Josiah Jones
• • •
p.1 #7 · Step-up rings

Thanks surf monkey.
I don't shoot much nowadays (retired) but when I do, I like to use the ND when outside in bright sun.
Since I'm going to have to purchase four adapter rings I guess I can either pay $120-150 for Heliopan or pay about $60-80 for B+W......
May go with the cheaper ones.

Josiah

Sep 02, 2012 at 03:48 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #8 · Step-up rings

If you go for no name brand step up rings, they can around $5 each from B&H, or even a little less from eBay. I have both B+W and no name rings, and use them both. You may want to order a set from B&H and see what you think of them.

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:17 PM
Josiah Jones
• • •
p.1 #9 · Step-up rings

Roland W wrote:
If you go for no name brand step up rings, they can around $5 each from B&H, or even a little less from eBay. I have both B+W and no name rings, and use them both. You may want to order a set from B&H and see what you think of them.

Thanks....I think I will try the cheaper ones first.....the cost will be minimal....so worth a try I suppose.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:09 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Step-up rings

I've been using the "General Brand" from B&H. The big problem is the lettering wearing off.

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Josiah Jones
• • •
p.1 #11 · Step-up rings

runamuck wrote:
I've been using the "General Brand" from B&H. The big problem is the lettering wearing off.

Thanks for the info!!! I am poised to purchase two of the B+W and two of the General Brand...already in the basket....still trying to decide for sure....

Josiah

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:48 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #12 · Step-up rings

Josiah Jones wrote:
Thanks for the info!!! I am poised to purchase two of the B+W and two of the General Brand...already in the basket....still trying to decide for sure....

Josiah

Of course, you should get one of each and report back.

I have always been curious about this. I usually buy the general brand from B&H, and may have gotten something similar from Adorama. This week I ordered a Fotodiox brand. I really can't tell any difference. I've never had any trouble with the cheap rings (once I learned how to screw on my filters properly), but I don't use my camera every day. For frequent use, perhaps it's worthwhile to get something better.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #13 · Step-up rings

JameelH wrote:
B+W are decent middle of the pack. If you want the best go with Heliopan which has brass rings (rather than aluminum). They are pricey though.

I have a B+W ring that I used for a short time, but found that the aluminum was very sticky, and often very difficult to remove. It was so bad that I even tried using a graphite lock lubricant (I was desperate obviously) but the result was inevitable - lubricant on the filter.

I will never use another aluminum ring again. I solved the problem by acquiring a CPOL that fit.

Glenn

Sep 14, 2012 at 07:10 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #14 · Step-up rings

I had a B+W for about 10 minutes before I realized my lens hood was not wide enough for the bigger filter. In any case, it fit perfectly with no "stickyness" of any kind. Maybe you had a bad copy? I have not heard of this issue with B+W rings.

Sep 14, 2012 at 07:16 PM
Josiah Jones
• • •
p.1 #15 · Step-up rings

OK.....I ordered two B+W and two of the general brand from B&H. Haven't used them yet but did make sure they all fit and did what they were supposed to do....that worked out well.

Remembering that they all were "step-up" rings, that would of course look like "62-77" (for example) to step from a 62mm thread on a lens to hold the 77mm thread filter. Both of the general brand rings were labeled this way. What was odd was that the B+W was labeled the opposite....
that is "77-62" just as an example. Called B&H and told them I had not opened the packages for the B+W because I was afraid they were not the right rings. He told me to go ahead and open because he noted my concerns. THEY WERE CORRECT step-ups even though labeled backwards. Am I crazy or am I missing something here?

Like another who posted here, I don't shoot every day so I decided to not go with the Heliopans. I think by being careful and not over tightening, all should go well. I was also aware that the hoods, etc. would not fit over the rings....got no problem with that.

Thanks to everyone who commented and helped out.

Josiah

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #16 · Step-up rings

Ya, 77-62 sounds like a step-down ring. That is confusing!

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #17 · Step-up rings

Josiah,

This is the hood I use with my filters on the step up ring:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/23170-REG/Hoya_H77RH_77mm_Screw_In_Rubber_Zoom.html

There are similar ones which I'm sure do just as well...........but judging from your astute questions, I know you'll need this one with the red ring
The nice thing is that you can rotate your polarizer by turning the hood.

Glenn, I used to have so many stuck filters, I wanted to pull my hair out. Once I learned how to mount and remove them, it's a thing of the past.

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:54 AM
Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #18 · Step-up rings

vsg28 wrote:
I had a B+W for about 10 minutes before I realized my lens hood was not wide enough for the bigger filter. In any case, it fit perfectly with no "stickyness" of any kind. Maybe you had a bad copy? I have not heard of this issue with B+W rings.

It seems that I was wrong - it is not a B+W ring - just says made in Japan.

However I know that it stuck to my B+W CPOL, and I just about went ballistic during a sunset when I couldn't get them apart to remove the CPOL.

To add insult to injury, I lost the package and couldn't return it.

Glenn

Sep 15, 2012 at 03:37 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #19 · Step-up rings

See if you can do something about it, I am guessing the threads are the issue.

Sep 15, 2012 at 05:41 AM
Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #20 · Step-up rings

vsg28 wrote:
See if you can do something about it, I am guessing the threads are the issue.

You are right - the threads are the issue - they are sticky.

I did solve the problem - I bought a CPOL that fits the lens (I was trying to save money by adapting a CPOL from my 24-105 to my 24TSE - actually a step down ring).

Glenn

Sep 15, 2012 at 03:25 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password