Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Waterfalls at Lake Catherine National Park

T-D-S

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Waterfalls at Lake Catherine National Park

My first real attempt at some waterfall pictures. Critique please! I'm heading out for some more waterfalls in the morning so pointers beforehand would be awesome! Reworks are always welcome.

1. Big Falls

2. Creek (in hindsight, I wish I had chosen a place with more of a bend in the creek)

3. Small Falls

4. Log falls

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:14 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Waterfalls at Lake Catherine National Park

I believe the first is the best scene, but I would have used a longer lens and made the falls more prominent.

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:50 AM
Bobster2
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Waterfalls at Lake Catherine National Park

Some of the green is a little oversaturated for my taste, so I'd try selectively bringing that down without changing the other colors.

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:28 AM
T-D-S

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Waterfalls at Lake Catherine National Park

@Ben, I've got to add that to my arsenal. I never think about using a longer lens like that. Thanks for the tip!

@Bobster, I agree. The odd thing is I didn't add saturation. Rather, I decreased it on a couple. These are blended exposures so maybe that is part of it. I'll do some more adjusting. Much appreciated!

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Waterfalls at Lake Catherine National Park

I love waterfalls...it is one of the things I have shot the most.

#1 is overexposed, you have lost all detail in the water, and the rocks of the escarpment are too bright IMO, even if they are that light colored, I would selectively dodge or darken them in post, to make the water separate more.

#2, a bit overexposed to me here too. The reflections seems to be the element you are capturing, but the dead leaves on the left are competing.

#3 is just too busy to me, I might have tried to isolate the small water features in their own images. The same probably goes for #4.

Sep 01, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Waterfalls at Lake Catherine National Park

FWIW I prefer #2.

To me, along with landscapes, a really "interesting" waterfall image is extremely difficult to capture. Most fall in the seen-one-seen-them-all category (slow shutter speed, blurred water, stopped down lens, etc., etc., ~trying to do too much), lacking the essence of actually being there. So, I go back to #2 - albeit it a bit hot.

That said, the crispness in great. Knowing the Exif would be most informative.

regards,

Bob

Sep 01, 2012 at 04:13 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Waterfalls at Lake Catherine National Park

I can see the potential here... BUT... In #1 the water has lost all detail... #2 Appears to be under-exposed... #3 has all of the hanging stuffin the way (I realize you took what was available)... #4 Has the most potential (IMHO)... Water too silky for me...

Sep 01, 2012 at 05:35 PM
T-D-S

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Waterfalls at Lake Catherine National Park

Here is a rework for #1:

Sep 01, 2012 at 06:22 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Waterfalls at Lake Catherine National Park

Much better IMO.

Sep 01, 2012 at 06:23 PM
T-D-S

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Waterfalls at Lake Catherine National Park

I re-cropped #2. I'm still not sold on my composition, but I think it is slightly better. :-/

Sep 01, 2012 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password