Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

JoshuaRoss23

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum because I just switched from Canon...

After thinking more about photography and so on and so forth, I realized I wasn't being open minded about my choice about Canon. I chose Canon to begin with because it was cheaper, now I'm realizing how much better Nikon is in terms of focus, noise, lenses, etc. and I NEED HELP.

I don't know where to even begin in terms of Nikon equipment and what's good and bad. I'm not concerned about learning Nikon operating systems because I'll just learn that over time. I need some advice on DSLR bodies as well as what are some of the stand out lenses!

I shoot portraits mostly, and some street photography, landscape, and shots of the family. I would like to get into wedding photography work later on. My previous lenses on Canon were the 50 1.4, 85 1.8, and 70-200. I'm not familiar with Nikon lenses so if you guys would be kind enough to tell me some bargains and stand-outs that would be great

I also need some advice on a body. I actually like older pro bodies a lot because they are still good cameras! As of now, my considerations are the Nikon D2x, D300s or D300, or D7000. Want to keep it in the 1,000 dollar range. Thanks guys for all the help

Sep 01, 2012 at 01:59 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Welcome Joshua. I note this is your first post on FM. Perhaps you were a member of POTN during your Canon days, as I was when I shot with that gear. I'm not going to address your questions specifically because I don't have experience with those cameras. You'll definitely hear from folks who have. I know quite a few folks who are very happy with the D7000 and I also know some of the older cameras don't handle lowlight as well as newer models like the D7000.

I want simply to make a plug for Nikon's amazing collection of manual focus lenses. Canon changed its lens mount in 1989 and effectively rendered its legacy MF lenses unusable. Nikon didn't change the lens mount, hence, there are some great old lenses that can be mounted on modern DSLR cameras. I know that AF is very useful, even necessary for some kind of shooting, so I'm not suggesting MF glass as an alternative. What I am suggesting is that in terms of value for money, you simply can't beat Nikkor manual focus lenses. I shot today with a 50 f/2 lens that I bought for $52 that performs beautifully. The lens its self is work of incredible craftsmanship... all metal and a joy to use.

Of course, lens nomenclature in the Nikon world can be confusing and not every old lens fits every new camera. I'd suggest whether you're buying only AF lenses or considering adding a few MF lenses to your kit, that you read this article by Thom Hogan on the alphabet soup of lens types. Good luck to you.

Making Sense of Lens Acronyms

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:30 AM
JoshuaRoss23

p.1 #3 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Thanks Grindahl for the heads up! That is actually a lot nice that Nikon didn't change their mount!

I've always wanted to experiment with manual focus lenses and the only solution were Zeiss lenses that were quite frankly very expensive. Nikon's manual lenses seem to have a lot of potential and I'll definitely do some research on them.

Thanks for the advice

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:33 AM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Welcome in Joshua, you will find a lot of knowledge at the Nikon Manual Focus Gear thread. Curtis is the headmeister there and is willing to help.

You will find many Nikon af zoom lenses that are incredible and low price. Also, if you like primes, Nikon has stellar primes. And if you like manual focus lenses, check out Curtis and the group there. I think you will be thrilled with Nikon because the adventure can go in many directions at once, while delivering world class imaging no matter what.

But feel free to ask any questions, ..." if they can put up with me they can put up with anybody"...

Joe

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:37 AM
JoshuaRoss23

p.1 #5 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Thank you for the warm welcome, might I ask who is Curtis?

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:59 AM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

sure, Curtis is CGrindahl, he wrote to you on this thread.

The NMFG is at http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565
and as you can see it has over 1700 pages. Curtis advised me to skip the first 1000 pages to get to the new stuff. But there are a lot of great images in there, with interesting personalities in the photographers.

All the people who contribute to that thread are great, as are the folks here, very friendly Nikon people. So, now you are one too!

Joe

Sep 01, 2012 at 03:05 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Me...

You have included your first name in your username, which is a nice touch. I use my first initial and last name, then add my first name to my profile. I've also listed my gear, which I encourage people to do, at least on the Nikon Manual Focus Glass thread Joe mentioned. Yes, I started that a bit over two years ago and it is still going strong. In fact, it is the busiest thread in the Nikon forum, attracting folks from around the world who have a passion for these lenses. We even have a lens that is traveling around the world at the moment to be shared with members who chose to participate in what we call the Great Lens Adventure. The lens has thus far gone from Australia to Singapore, to Hong Kong, to Rotterdam, to Amsterdam, to outside Cologne, Germany, to Romania. Its next stop in just outside Venice and then it comes to the United States where perhaps eight or ten folks will have it for awhile.

Check out the last few hundred pages of the thread, at least to start. It is fast approaching 1800 pages, or 36,000 posts. Amazing... I expected it to end before we reached twenty pages. I'm the unofficial moderator of the thread and one of the biggest fans of these lenses. If you doubt me, check out my kit...

Sep 01, 2012 at 03:09 AM
JoshuaRoss23

p.1 #8 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

I didn't even realize how big you were on this forum...well congratulations about your post!! I will definitely look at your gear list and thanks for the help!

This transition from Canon to Nikon is a big switch but it is definitely nice to be welcomed into this forum in a very nice manner Ok....now time to go through 1800 pages of manual nikon lens posts....here we go :P

Sep 01, 2012 at 03:14 AM
JoshuaRoss23

p.1 #9 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

I didn't even realize how big you were on this forum...well congratulations about your post!! I will definitely look at your gear list and thanks for the help!

This transition from Canon to Nikon is a big switch but it is definitely nice to be welcomed into this forum in a very nice manner Ok....now time to go through 1800 pages of manual nikon lens posts....here we go :P

Sep 01, 2012 at 03:14 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

See you next year...

Sep 01, 2012 at 03:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul_K

p.1 #11 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Hi Joshua

JoshuaRoss23 wrote:
I shoot portraits mostly, and some street photography, landscape, and shots of the family. I would like to get into wedding photography work later on. My previous lenses on Canon were the 50 1.4, 85 1.8, and 70-200. I'm not familiar with Nikon lenses so if you guys would be kind enough to tell me some bargains and stand-outs that would be great

Nikon has lenses in the same focal range as the Canon counterparts you mention. As fas as the 1.4/50 and 1.8/85mm are concerned, these have both an (older) AF-D (= without focusing motor, so use only on camera bodies which have one, but with aperture ring) and and AFS (with focusing motor, so also usable on bodies without focussing motor like D3000, D3100, D5000, D5100 and older bodies like D40 and D50, no aperture ring). There have also been manual versions of these two lenses

I still have copies of the older manual 1.4/50mm and 1.8/85mm (really an oldie) and have owned copies of the manual 2/85mm and the 1.8/85 AFD. Nothing particular to mention about them, just like to have them, good mechanical and image quality (you will find enough songs of praise in the ' Manual Focus Nikon Glass' thread on the older manual versions)

Nikon has two versions of the 70-200, both with a 2.8 maximum aperture (no 4.0/70-200 version as Canon offers) The first version (VR1) has an excellent reputation on DX (=crop) format, but is reputed not to offer stellar performance on FX (Full frame = D700, D800, D3 etc.). The newer VR2 version is getting excellent reviews but of couse is more expensive then the older VR1 version (which can be found for quite reasonable prices 2nd hand)

I also need some advice on a body. I actually like older pro bodies a lot because they are still good cameras! As of now, my considerations are the Nikon D2x, D300s or D300, or D7000. Want to keep it in the 1,000 dollar range. Thanks guys for all the help

I still have a D2x and had a D300.

My personal (short) review of the camera's is
D2X: Pro body, excellent AF, excellent IQ as long as you stay under 800 ASA. Added extra the HSC option giving a 2x crop vs the standard 1.5 DX crop, which with the higher fps is nice to have when shooting outdoor sports (with enough light)
D300 : despite not having the bullit proof built of the D2X, still a very sturdy body, AF on par with D2X (although I like the snappier AF of the D2X better), better high ISO up to ASA 2400
D300S: Newer version of the D300 (main difference added video function). No personal experience, but said to have improved AF and high ISO.
D7000 : No personal exprience, said to have better AF and high ISO then D300(S), but on the several fora subject of much discussion on that. Main difference higher megapixel and SD cards only

All the afore mentioned bodies can be found well under the $1,000 mark on ebay and similar sites

On a side note:
There's much noise and discussion on the Internet the said to be the shortly (at the Photokina later this month?) to be announced (or not) D400, supposedly successor (or not) of the mentioned DX cameras which are for DSLR's are well overdue for replacement(D300S introduced november 2009, D7000 introduced november 2010, D2X dinosaur).

Also, apart from the lenses and bodies you are looking into, with wedding photography in the back of your mind, I would also look into the Nikon flash system.

The older SB600 and especially SB800 still have an excellent reputation (which unfortunately translates in a relative high 2nd hand price).

The SB900 is subject of much discussion over overheating problems, especially with wedding and similar events where flashes much put under much workload, problems which have been soled with the SB700 and SB910 (at a price)

HTH

Paul K

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:06 PM
JoshuaRoss23

p.1 #12 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Paul, thank you for your very thorough response, and if its okay, I'd like to address a couple things that I don't quite understand yet.

I plan to get some Nikon manual glass because after reading through some articles and forums, they really are one of a kind. Unfortunately, the Nikon 70-200's are quite expensive opposed to Canon's 70-200 f4's which I was planning to get. What are your thoughts in purchasing the Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS? That seems to be a lot more within my price range even though I haven't had any experience with that lens before.

Regarding the body, do you think since this is my first time going Nikon that it would be a good idea to just play it safe and get a D7000? I'm aware of the rumors about a new D400 or D600 and I've heard it is pretty much concrete Nikon is going to be coming out with a entry level full frame. I think it'll be in the 1500 dollar range which is a little pricey for me because I want to invest more money in glass. Also, the D700 can be picked up used for about 1,600 dollars now so that might be an option I consider in the future.

With the flash topic, I've heard rave reviews about how amazing Nikon Flash system is. Even when I was on the Canon side, I struggled with flashes and all the different things you can do with them. I hope as I get into more payed portraits and maybe a little wedding work that I will start experimenting more with flashes because there is much to learn.

Thanks again Paul for the response!

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:32 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Re the cost of the 70-200's, you may want to explore the 70-300VR which is an outstanding optic for the price and IMHO a more than worthy competitor to the Canon despite not being a constant f4.

I owned both D2 series bodies and would take a D300 over it all day long personally. Quite frankly I'd take a D7000 over it too unless you absolutely needed a pro build and more fingertip controls. However I'd also think heavily about a D700 starting out too even though they were just discontinued unless you desire video. I plain buy into FX image quality and the better low light results I've come to love. It still produces some amazing images and to me doesn't have the dated feeling the D2's do today.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:43 PM
rick_reno
• •
p.1 #14 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

I'm switching too...or have been for a few months (it takes time). Thanks for the link to the NMFG thread, I didn't even know it existed. It's got some great stuff in it....finding it is like finding a gold mine.

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:51 PM
Paul_K

p.1 #15 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Hi Joshua,

I agree with DJ on the 70-300 VR, have it myself and it's a very nice lens (have it myself)

As far as Sigma is concerned, I personally don't have good experiences with the brand. Had one short zoom lens (longer period ago, don't recall exactly which type) and quickly sold it as I didn't like the IQ (unsharp) even when shooting film.

Haven't used the 70-200 so can't say anything about it, but Sigma has the reputation the IQ can vary from copy to copy of the same lens so that might be someting to keep in the back of the mind if you buy one (thorougly test it after purchase and don't be afraid to return it if not satisfied)

Although I don't have personal experience with the D7000, I based on my experience with other Nikon film and digital SLR camera's don't think you can go wrong with the D7000. Of course Nikon is far more conservative then Canon innovationwise, but from what I've read the D7000 offers a very solid performance despite the reputed flaws complained about on the internet.

Bit like the D800, which supposely suffers from severe AF problems, but IMO based on well over 6000 shots of in particular catwalk photography (fast moving subjects under not always ideal light, not just a couple of snap shots of a beercan or a bookshelf in the livingroom by the light of a simple bulb lamp) does an excellent job in that regard, quite on par with the D3. The higher pixel density (quite similar to the D7000, which camera after introduction also caught a lot of flak for supposedly inferior AF) does require a more carefull technique though, as it's quite unforgiving especially with top lenses like the 1.4/85, 2.8/70-200 etc. and viewed at 100% on the computer.

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:49 PM
JoshuaRoss23

p.1 #16 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Thanks for the response Paul and DJ, after doing a little research, the 70-300 isn't quite for me I think.

I'll be using it more for portraits than anything and I need that shallow depth of field of 2.8

Any advice about how to test whether the Sigma is up to par with the IQ it boast?

One last question, are there any standouts for Nikon in terms of lenses?

I've found a couple, of course the 24-70 2.8....but that'll take me awhile to save up for being that I'm still quite young.

I also read good review on the 105 micro. Experience anyone? For portraiture?

I plan to get the 35mm 1.8 on the Nikon D7000 and upgrade that to a 28mm 1.8 when I eventually go full frame.

I will also pair that up with a 50mm 1.8G (supposedly sharper than the 1.4?) 85mm 1.8G (maybe the 85mm 1.4 D but I don't think its worth it, thoughts?)

After that, hoping my budget gets a little larger, I plan to get the Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS (Really wish I could get the NIkon) then the 105mm 2.8 Micro and if I have the courage to get spend the money on the 24-70 2.8....

As well as a couple manual Nikkors.....thank you for the help guys

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:42 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Joshua. As a new convert to Nikon myself (from Pentax - well dual systems now actually) I also found US$2,000 for the new 70-200 VR II too much for an initial purchase so went with one of the older 80-200/2.8 zooms. I did not buy the AF-S version, which works with the Nikon TCs, but went for the D version (optically they are supposed to be very similar to the 70-200s), which doesn't.

I then added the vaunted (and cheaper) alternative TC, the Kenko Pro 300 x1.4 which works really well on the 80-200 (but poorly on my new Sigma 500mm), though I believe the Nikon TCs will work if you remove the lug (remove the 4 retaining screws very carefully, extract the lug, then replace the screws).

AF is very fast, the lens is very sharp and I am delighted with it. Cost was US$800 in 'As New' condition. You should be able to pick one up cheaper over there.

For a much cheaper new alternative you could try the Tamron 70-200/2.8. Although this doesn't have any version of HSM it is a very very sharp lens (any colour differences can easily be addressed in PP). I tried it a K5 and it is an excellent alternative. Over there it also has Tamron's excellent extended warranty too.

Sep 02, 2012 at 08:49 AM
VilleK
• •
p.1 #18 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

According to my experience AF on D7000 is worse than D700 which is supposed to have the same AF system than D300(s). I think you would benefit more from a higher megapixel count and better iso performance than AF, so I'd get D7000.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait for Nikon's announcements in Photokina which is supposed to be in less than 2 weeks. That might affect the prices

As for the lenses, I'd pick the following relatively cheap lenses:
- AF-S 18-55/3.5-5.6G VR for general shooting and landscapes (this works really well stopped down and it's lightweight and cheap but doesn't take a polarizer that well since the front ring is rotating)
- AF-S 35/1.8G for street and low light shooting
- AF-S 85/1.8G for portrait work

You can get the 70-200/2.8G VR (the first version) later if you really need that range and super fast AF. I think you can find that under $1500 used which is a similar price to Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS (I believe so).

*EDIT*
I have also tried AF-S 105/2.8G VR Micro and it's a great lens for portrait and macro work. I'd still get 85/1.8G over that because of the lower price and weight. If you're not going to do macro work that is That 18-55 gives you 1:3.2 magnification ratio at 55mm so it's almost a macro lens

Sep 02, 2012 at 09:11 AM
JoshuaRoss23

p.1 #19 · Newbie to Nikon! Switch from Canon!

Thank you Frog and Villle for your responses.

Frog, I had my eye on the 80-200 2.8 as well! I would like to do a little bit more research on it but what you did with yours is definitely an option. I am also considering third party options as you suggested.

Ville, I'm glad we can agree on some lens choices and I'm very excited for photokina this year!

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:43 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password