Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

ISO1600
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Hrow wrote:
PPS. If the GH3 looks like a 7D why would one buy it rather than a 7D or a D7000? If I am going to carry a bigger camera I want a bigger sensor and established lens line-up to go along with it.

haha I'm with you on that one!
I don't want BIGGER cameras with SMALLER sensors!

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:12 PM
bmwrider75
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

I agree generally about bigger camera/smaller sensor, but the overwhelming massive difference in weight savings for me has been the lenses. not the body. Yes, the OM-D body is small...but my crop body cameras weren't huge. However, good luck carrying a set of high quality AF 1.4/1.8/2 lenses on anything else. You'll double the weight, easily.

I could easily conceive of a m4/3rds shooter wanting a slightly beefier body and still being able to stick with the lens lineup.

Yes, I'm aware there are fairly small MF fast lenses available for every system - I've owned and/or used many of them. They still aren't light, though...and they don't autofocus!

If all you ever carry is a body and a slow-ish mid-range zoom, the difference is smaller, obviously. If you have a full kit, it's night and day.

dc

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:57 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.3 #3 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

At this stage of the game in m43 land:

Fast AF-C tracking > IBIS > Faster AF-S

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:01 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.3 #4 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Bifurcator wrote:
Maybe it doesn't actually make that much difference? I mean with the GH1 I thought it was supposed to maintain 12mpx or be very close. And for the GH2 I thought it was supposed maintain 16mpx or close but it doesn't... Unless there's something I'm missing? If all it was was keeping the frame corners on the image circle perimeter then how much difference does that really make? Maybe almost none in actuality? <shrug>

Main point was different. It had something to do with lens, tho not sure how to write that. They wanted to maintain FOV or look from certain focal lenghts across different crops. I think it was FOV, cause thats what you loose when you crop. Mpix wasnt important part.

Tho I always thought they could let users use whole sensor (easily covered with adapted lens).

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

ytwong wrote:
Tired of those "fastest AF in the world" claims. Try using different lens with different FL / aperture and the result would be very different.

Manufacturers know the majority of consumers never bother to read the fine print... "fastest AF in the world among Panasonic GH3 cameras"

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:35 PM
gotak
• •
p.3 #6 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

How is the actual AF-C for stills? All the google search did was bring up a lot of videos. Impressive but I haven't really gotten into video making.

For me this is a good thing. It's a bigger body but if Panasonic or Olympus cracks AF-C and keeps up on the sensor side there will no longer be any reason to keep my DSLR kit. Which would free up so much money for M4/3 lens etc.

BTW there seems to be some misunderstanding of IBIS in the OM-D. It's not just all lenses are stabilized, it is also potentially stabilized better because it can handle twist along the lens axis. Something that no in len system will manage without some extremely fancy optics.

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:37 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

I am totally in agreement with you. IMO, the OM-D and GH3 are as good as the Canon 7D, and in some instances (like AF speed and accuracy) it's also better than the 5D II. So I don't mind a slightly bigger 43 body that will take all the fabulous and compact/lightweight 43 lenses. However, the lack of IBIS in the GH3 is a deal breaker for me. I hope the "pro version" of the OM-D will have the GH3 form factor and ergonomics.

bmwrider75 wrote:
I agree generally about bigger camera/smaller sensor, but the overwhelming massive difference in weight savings for me has been the lenses. not the body. Yes, the OM-D body is small...but my crop body cameras weren't huge. However, good luck carrying a set of high quality AF 1.4/1.8/2 lenses on anything else. You'll double the weight, easily.

I could easily conceive of a m4/3rds shooter wanting a slightly beefier body and still being able to stick with the lens lineup.

Yes, I'm aware there are fairly small MF fast lenses available for every system - I've owned and/or used many of
...Show more

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:10 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password