New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

"It feels much more PRO than the Olympus E-M5. De facto it looks more similar to a PRO DSLR like a Nikon D7000 or Canon 7D more than to any other Panasonic/Olympus mirrorless camera we have seen before."

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-gh3-has-fastest-af-of-the-world-it-is-like-a-pro-dslr-best-hybrid-cam-ever/

Edited on Aug 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Err GH3(title)

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:00 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Thanks! .

LightShow wrote:
Err GH3(title)

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

7D or D7000 are pro DSLR's now?

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:09 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Pro-ish .

mawz wrote:

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

If the OM-D AF speed was cut in half, I wouldn't really care. Then again I don't take shots of fast moving animals or sports.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

I like that the mirrorless segment is getting faster at focusing.

I do take a lot of animal photos, and I'm thinking longer term that my best camera body setup might be 5D3 and mirrorless (NEX) for my crop body. I am pretty sure that I will be selling my 7D and 17-55 in favor of MILC.

I am thinking I might just roll with 1D3 and NEX this winter and see how it goes.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Tired of those "fastest AF in the world" claims. Try using different lens with different FL / aperture and the result would be very different.

I don't really complain about focus speed when shooting static subjects.

When I shoot moving subjects I need good AF tracking.

I don't routinely take photos of animals but when I do , DSLR would be my choice, despite what olympus/panasonic claim. I just still cannot fully trust my M43 or NEX yet.

Aug 31, 2012 at 09:33 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Does it have IBIS? No? Game over!

Sep 01, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

mawz wrote:

I guess when they are used by pros they are.

Sep 01, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

There any photos of this thing on-line yet?

Sep 01, 2012 at 01:24 AM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

In single shot AF even GH2 is as fast as the high end DSLRs. I doubt any improvement in AF speed over GH2 is going to give any benefit in practice, except maybe with the extra slow 20mm. The areas to improve now are continuous AF and shutter lag.

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:04 AM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

bobbytan wrote:
Does it have IBIS? No? Game over!

+1000. I completely agree. Faster autofocus is nice. However, image stabilized prime lenses is very useful.

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:06 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

jonrock wrote:
+1000. I completely agree. Faster autofocus is nice. However, image stabilized prime lenses is very useful.

+1001

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:33 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

The OM-D5 focuses plenty fast on still objects. Unfortunately, its little digital brain goes completely haywire when you try to track something that moves. Tried it at a pro bike race on Friday night and I thought the camera would melt from confusion. Truly awful. I wish manufacturers would focus on making their focusing systems actually focus under real world uses rather than playing the "mine is bigger than yours" game.

PS. To be fair, I wouldn't have taken a Leica to the bike races and expected stellar results either.

PPS. If the GH3 looks like a 7D why would one buy it rather than a 7D or a D7000? If I am going to carry a bigger camera I want a bigger sensor and established lens line-up to go along with it.

Sep 03, 2012 at 09:04 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Important question is whether they will allow the video bitrate of the hacks or as I presume, make sure that this body can't do them to protect sales of the whatever it's called higher end video body.

Sep 03, 2012 at 11:19 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Hrow wrote:
The OM-D5 focuses plenty fast on still objects. Unfortunately, its little digital brain goes completely haywire when you try to track something that moves. Tried it at a pro bike race on Friday night and I thought the camera would melt from confusion. Truly awful. I wish manufacturers would focus on making their focusing systems actually focus under real world uses rather than playing the "mine is bigger than yours" game.

PS. To be fair, I wouldn't have taken a Leica to the bike races and expected stellar results either.

PPS. If the GH3 looks like a 7D why would
...Show more

Yep if you want to do action with u43, you have to pretend you're shooting manual focus - Prefocus on a spot and blast the FPS away when the subjects cross through it

Of course for parallel movement it's nice to have fast AF-S focus (watching football from the sidelines, etc).

someone wake me up when mirrorless can track AF-C as well as a 40D, then I'll think about upgrading from my OMD

Sep 03, 2012 at 11:26 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

I just love the religious wars that continue with their diatribes regarding their favorite brands and how they are going to trounce the competition every time they come out with a new model. Everyone has their specific needs. Many don't shoot sports and many don't shoot landscapes. Tools are out there for BOTH as a specialty. As for the camera that does it ALL better than the next one it doesn't exist for the most part. It's been time for Panasonic to step things up a notch now for a while. They can't rest on the laurels of the GH2 as good as it was. These days the technology seems to leapfrog about every 6 months in a big way. The OMD does a LOT of things right, so right in fact it can easily stand up to the "big boys" in a lot of regards. Especially once you've become familiar with how to manipulate the best from it. Some don't either have the patience nor the skill and to them I say sorry. I have no problem nailing fast moving subjects by just mashing the shutter. It really doesn't take any time to lock focus so why bother half pressing anyway if it's moving fast. 9 of 10 times the result will be a perfectly in focus shot. I don't shoot in low light so that's not an issue. I can do this even with their 75-300 mZuiko lens just fine. I've had several pro DSLR bodies along the way, and back when I didn't mind lugging around 50lbs of camera body and pro lenses that was fine. Times have changed for me, and I sure do welcome the lightweight bag with several lenses to cover the focal lengths needed along with a flash and accessories all fitting in a nice waist bag. Now THAT is what I'm interested in. Especially considering that once placed into Lightroom my results are more than DSLR level acceptable in realistic sized prints (at or below 22x17). That's all I care about. The rest is just talk.......

Sep 03, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

All I can say is good, if it does everything they say it does, micro four thirds is stronger because of it. The competition between body manufacturers, and the ability to switch from one brand of body to another easily.

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:53 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

+1. Good news for all m4/3 shooters ... as this means a greater/stronger demand for pro-quality glass and pro-features on future bodies. m4/3 may upstage the DSLR within 5 years. Mirrorless is the way of the future and Canon and Nikon had better get their act together soon.

Access wrote:
All I can say is good, if it does everything they say it does, micro four thirds is stronger because of it. The competition between body manufacturers, and the ability to switch from one brand of body to another easily.

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:01 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.