Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Which NR reduction setting is better for wildlife....

Jude Perera
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Which NR reduction setting is better for wildlife....

I am posting 100% Crops of an image which I captured during my holiday visit to Horton Pains three weeks ago. This is an early morning capture of a sambar deer. The below crops are unprocessed as well as processed in Adobe Lightroom (ver. 3.4) to reduce the subject noise. Please choose the best noise reduction setting according to each ones taste or suggest better settings for LR.

Also like to know whether a different approach would achieve better results (Eg: Noiseware Pro, Topaz Labs DeNoise, Neat Image Pro, etc.)

Jude

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:18 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Which NR reduction setting is better for wildlife....

Jude, let me ask you a few questions...

Firstly I'd like to know what you mean by "unprocessed". Is it just the default Lr settings ? Digital images all have some sort of processing based on raw converter defaults or in-camera settings such as picture styles.

Secondly I'd like to know whether there is any science to your processing such as the NR settings or is it just combinations that seemed to work at the time. If there is a definite systematic approach that you are using to arrive at your settings then I don't want to upset it but if there isn't then I can help. Off hand I'd say the sharpness amount is too high and both the NR and sharpness detail are too low.

Thirdly, Do you print these images and if so have you noticed the background graininess in the prints ? I can tell you how to reduce that graininess in 100% crops but I can't tell whether or not it is necessary. A lot of noise disappears in prints because in effect we are shrinking the prints compared to the on-screen size.

Fourthly, what ISO setting did you use and was the image exposed correctly for that ISO or underexposed ? Underexposure amounts to having a higher ISO. The effective ISO affects sharpening and NR settings somewhat.

And finally, are you interested in capture sharpening to make the master image look right (on-screen) or are you interested in output sharpening that is more suited to final print dimensions or whatever other purpose you intend. Output sharpening will vary with print size and viewing distance but capture sharpening is pretty much determined by the original image viewed at 100% and has no allowance for printing (other than to not muck up output sharpening).

- Alan

Sep 01, 2012 at 10:52 AM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Which NR reduction setting is better for wildlife....

Curious, why haven't you upgraded from LR v3.4 to v3.6 (supposedly there were a bunch of bug fixes)?

Sep 15, 2012 at 05:56 PM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Which NR reduction setting is better for wildlife....

oh ... I like the last image the best

Sep 15, 2012 at 05:57 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Which NR reduction setting is better for wildlife....

Alan puts it far ahead of what I could say.
I would add that I have some 2,000 iso large animals images on my 5DII that look quite good to me after eye balling it for noise reduction edits in LR4. This is at 40-50% viewing mind you. At 100% mine look similar to yours but I am much closer to the subject and see only face/eyeball. I used Martin Evening's book to guide me for a somewhat systematic approach to noise and sharpness in LR4.

I like the 3rd image best. 4th is a close second.

I think part of the problem I see is you need more pixels on your main image, if you intend to crop this one heavily. If this animal is just part of your overall image, you should not be bothered with viewing it at 100%. If it is, you need to get closer or a larger focal length lens. You can only crop (or crop your view) so much. Especially when wildlife viewing may not lend itself to low iso's. You may want to download a trial of LR4, I find it fantastic for high iso nr with my 5dII.

I'd like to see the entire photo.

Sep 15, 2012 at 09:07 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password