Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

gsmani
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

I just saw this in DPR. I am just passing info.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=42377148

I have not had any issues with mine. I have not shot much after upgrade either. those having issues, solutions seems to be disable auto power off (APO) or increase the duration.
regards

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM
WJaekel

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

I just returned from my trip to the Russian Arctic and can confirm the freeze issue which occurred several times after the firmware update on the 7D. After removing and reinstating the battery the camera worked again for some time ('till the next freezing)

Wolfgang

Aug 31, 2012 at 06:56 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

I updated my 7D the very day FW2 was available and so far no errors or freezing: works great in AC, in balmy Honolulu weather and 105 degree Vegas heat. Not tried the Arctic but maybe I'm put it in my icebox with my beer and see if it still works. However, I can attest it still works fine after multiple bumps and beer splashes.

Aug 31, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

gsmani wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=42377148

I have not had any issues with mine. I have not shot much after upgrade either. those having issues, solutions seems to be disable auto power off (APO) or increase the duration.
regards

Maybe that's why my 7D has been in a Canon service centre for a week and still no word from them. Mine locked up permanently after FW 2 was installed.

Sep 01, 2012 at 09:53 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Maybe that's why my 7D has been in a Canon service centre for a week and still no word from them. Mine locked up permanently after FW 2 was installed.

Sounds like some sorta user's error, either in downloading the FW update and/or in camera operation.

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:30 AM
WJaekel

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

Gochugogi wrote:
I updated my 7D the very day FW2 was available and so far no errors or freezing: works great in AC, in balmy Honolulu weather and 105 degree Vegas heat. Not tried the Arctic but maybe I'm put it in my icebox with my beer and see if it still works. However, I can attest it still works fine after multiple bumps and beer splashes.

The issue has nothing to do with the conditions in the Arctic (or beer, btw) since the camera has worked flawlessly on this trip before the upgrade had been installed. My 5d3, 1Dx and 1D MKIV have had no problems at all under those conditions which had been not extreme temperature wise at all ( -4 C at minimum). The error occured erraticly and unpredictably from time to time and not constantly at all.

Wolfgang

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

PetKal wrote:
Sounds like some sorta user's error, either in downloading the FW update and/or in camera operation.

Speaking of user error, have you actually learnt how to use your 7D yet, as you seem to make more noise than it ever could.

Sep 01, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Speaking of user error, have you actually learnt how to use your 7D yet, as you seem to make more noise than it ever could.

If you two keep this up, I'm going to petition to have you both locked up permanently!
- U. Zuhrherrohr

Sep 01, 2012 at 04:19 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

There is nothing in that DPR thread that proves Canon has acknowledged a bug in the 7D version 2.0 firmware. It is an unsubtantiated claim by the OP of the thread who is trying to justify his assertion that there is a problem with the firmware. He also started a similar thread in POTN.

Bottom line: the vast majority of people who have updated the 7D firmware have not experienced any problems that -- as usual -- can't be attributed to user error.

John

Sep 01, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

WJaekel wrote:
The issue has nothing to do with the conditions in the Arctic (or beer, btw) since the camera has worked flawlessly on this trip before the upgrade had been installed. My 5d3, 1Dx and 1D MKIV have had no problems at all under those conditions which had been not extreme temperature wise at all ( -4 C at minimum). The error occured erraticly and unpredictably from time to time and not constantly at all.

Wolfgang

You need to add a little beer and see if that helps...

Sep 01, 2012 at 07:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

PetKal wrote:

The user error is buying the Canon 7D and thinking they could execute a major firmware update without screwups. I'll wait for the next one.

EBH

Sep 01, 2012 at 07:34 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

BluesWest wrote:
There is nothing in that DPR thread that proves Canon has acknowledged a bug in the 7D version 2.0 firmware. It is an unsubtantiated claim by the OP of the thread who is trying to justify his assertion that there is a problem with the firmware. He also started a similar thread in POTN.

Bottom line: the vast majority of people who have updated the 7D firmware have not experienced any problems that -- as usual -- can't be attributed to user error.

John

Sounds a lot like my 1d3 focuses correctly so the problems you are having with your 1d3 must be user error. Typical response.

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

The same thing happens with all OS updates: works fine for most people but a few machines give up the ghost (screen 'o death). It doesn't mean the user did anything wrong but the manufacturer is unable to anticipate every possible hardware and software combination. Of course a camera OS update has a lot fewer variables to counter than a Mac or PC update. And the failure may not even be Canon's fault, e.g., worn component failure or CF card error. Heck, the problem could have happen during the internet download or when the FW was copied to the CF.

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:15 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

Not sure why some folks get so emotional on this topic. Lot's of very passionate denials about issues. That's cool. I'm sure there are folks that have been in the clear since the update.

I hadn't experienced any problems after the 2.0.0 upgrade, but I just hadn't used the camera enough apparently. I got my first ever error today, ERR 80, and camera was frozen. Had to power off and remove battery. I also had APO set to 1 minute, so my experience matches the statements that the lockup could be related to having APO on.

I have no skin in the game. I'm not a Canon hater or lover. I have turned off APO and will keep using the camera until a firmware update arrives.

Sep 08, 2012 at 08:40 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

dwweiche wrote:
Not sure why some folks get so emotional on this topic. Lot's of very passionate denials about issues. That's cool. I'm sure there are folks that have been in the clear since the update.

Not really much different than the folks who try to turn a problem with their particular camera into some vast international conspiracy... instead of accepting the possibility that something may have just gone wrong with their firmware download and upgrade procedure.

Sep 08, 2012 at 09:01 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

molson wrote:
Not really much different than the folks who try to turn a problem with their particular camera into some vast international conspiracy... instead of accepting the possibility that something may have just gone wrong with their firmware download and upgrade procedure.

True. In my case my firmware download went OK, and my upgrade procedure was per Canon's direction. There's no reason for folks to get ticked either way in my opinion. I know there's no conspiracy. There's just an issue with the new firmware is all, and I've (finally) experienced it.

Sep 08, 2012 at 09:17 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

The fact that most people who have performed the upgrade have not experienced any problems is pretty strong evidence that it's not a firmware issue. If it was, everybody would have the same problem.

Sep 08, 2012 at 09:39 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

molson wrote:
The fact that most people who have performed the upgrade have not experienced any problems is pretty strong evidence that it's not a firmware issue. If it was, everybody would have the same problem.

Not true. 16 years in the consumer electronics business has taught me this. There are always many variables that can contribute to the frequency of an issue. In this case, one of those variables may be auto-power-off being enabled. If this is in fact one of the variables, then those people who do not have it enabled would not see this issue. This would explain why not everyone is seeing the same problem.

Sep 08, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

Let me iterate the FW procedure on mine went perfectly and all the new settings were available and the camera operates perfectly until you want to take a photo and then it will lock up with an err 20. For the first hour intermittently then permanently.

My autopower was set to 15 minutes I believe and changing it to other settings made no difference, but I did not try turning APO off.

Bloody amazing coincidence that 7D's that have been working flawlessly even on the day of FW upgrade start locking up after the upgrade. They all share something in common, so that's where any logical investigation should start.

Sep 08, 2012 at 11:34 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7D freeze issue seems to be true and ack by Canon

molson wrote:

A guy on dpreview (from New Zealand) got an email from Canon NZ stating that a firmware update to fix the problem will be released on Canon's website in mid-September. Apparently, from what I've read on other sites, Canon does acknowledge it as a firmware glitch.

Sep 09, 2012 at 01:25 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password