Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Another seascape

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Another seascape

I hopefully did quite a bit of work which was time well spent working on this last night.I'm really hoping it doesn't turn out to be another flat image.I must admit though it looked much more vivid on my calibrated monitor, than it does here at work.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Another seascape

I like the arc of the shore. I'd crop out the foliage upper left.
The main processing issue is low contrast. You did a nice job on exposure and preserving the whites in the clouds.
Here is a first step adjustment, adding some curves work in LR for contrast.
Also did a bit of luminance adjustment using the TAT tool. Added a slight increase in vibrance and in clarity.
There are additional refinements to consider, including checking out a slight vignette, considering using some gradient work over the sky. This is to get you started.

Scott

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:28 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Another seascape

I have heard of different types of contrast adjustment, mostly Global, which I would assume is working on the whole image and local, which I guess would mean more like burning and dodging and masking certain areas like sea and land and sky and doing work on them by themselves.
What would you say is the best way to add local contrast ?
In this image believe it or not I already did quite a bit, especially the seawall and building area in the background, which looked pretty dead and lifeless after tonemapping.
Since the sun is directly on them, and I think its important to know that when working on an image, since you don't want to lighten an area in shadow or shade. I masked those areas off and lightened them using exposure, although I'm not sure if Thats the best type of adjustment to do in this case, but it does the job I suppose.
I also darkened the grass in the foreground slightly too, so the attention was drwn more to the middle of the image.

Aug 31, 2012 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Another seascape

I think it is still a bit flat, lacking contrast. The histogram showed very little blacks so I duplicated the layer, tweaked the levels a bit to darken and blended at 50% on soft light, a little dodging on the wall and the shoreline across the water.

Aug 31, 2012 at 04:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Another seascape

I like the version Travis did best overall, but it darkened the far bank too much. I like the version Scott did better for that. Both are improvements IMO

Aug 31, 2012 at 05:13 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Another seascape

Has some sharpness issues and a fair amount of noise, perhaps from the post processing. Could benefit from a darker foreground, clone stamp clean-up, color and contrast changes to the background side of the bay, noise reduction, selective sharpening, one to one and a half mid-tome bumps (USM at 16, 60, 0) and some other tweaks.

Here's an example with the suggestions, a bit exaggerated to illustrate:

Aug 31, 2012 at 08:52 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password