Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

bobcan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Great Review..

Wonderful Shots!!

Thank you very much for this ALL..

Sep 03, 2012 at 08:11 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.4 #2 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Great review and very nice shots! Very cool tip about registering an AF point too.

Now we just need you to open up the camera for reviews under Canon DSLR!

Sep 03, 2012 at 01:07 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Fred Miranda wrote:
Regarding the cheetah - here's what happened:
It was just another sunny California day. I was hanging out in the backyard, and thought I noticed a wild cheetah approaching. I whipped out the camera, fired off some shots as the ferocious animal lunged towards me. Luckily… I had the a lens camouflage on and was able to distract the beast long enough for me to high-tail it back inside to safety.

--
BTW, here is a tip I use quite often. Although it didn't make it into my review, I still wanted to share it with you. (It also works
...Show more

I did this on my 7D when it first came out, but use * button for my centre point and AF-ON for either off-centre point or to quickly switch to say spot AF at the centre. Also do the same thing on my 5D III

Sep 03, 2012 at 10:35 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

I like Petkal's and your honest & excellent review. Thank you for your time and efforts, Fred and Peter.

Sep 03, 2012 at 11:47 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.4 #5 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

I was surprised that compared to the 5D III the resolution difference was as noticeable as it appeared to be. That suggests that the right solution for a Canon high MP camera might not be to out-pixel the D800, but instead to add about 5-6 MP beyond the 5D III, and try to find a sweet spot using slightly larger pixels than the Nikon. Of course, if Canon can come up with Nikon-like dynamic range, then the highest resolution that supports clean ISO 800 and less would maybe be the right way to go for a landscape camera, at least for me. I would settle pretty happily for clean ISO 400.

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:00 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

splathrop wrote:
I was surprised that compared to the 5D III the resolution difference was as noticeable as it appeared to be. That suggests that the right solution for a Canon high MP camera might not be to out-pixel the D800, but instead to add about 5-6 MP beyond the 5D III, and try to find a sweet spot using slightly larger pixels than the Nikon. Of course, if Canon can come up with Nikon-like dynamic range, then the highest resolution that supports clean ISO 800 and less would maybe be the right way to go for a landscape camera, at least
...Show more

That's what I said when it came out, 27-28MP would have been nice while maintaining 6fps. Also even if such a camera were noisier at the pixel level, down-rezzing it to 22MP would give you very similar noise as the 5D III and slightly better detail. D800 is pretty similar to 5D III for noise up to around ISO 6400.

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:31 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.4 #7 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Stoffer wrote:
Now we just need you to open up the camera for reviews under Canon DSLR!

I know I'm answering myself, but Fred Miranda just open up for the EOS-1D X reviews. Thanks!

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Pixel Perfect wrote:
That's what I said when it came out, 27-28MP would have been nice while maintaining 6fps. Also even if such a camera were noisier at the pixel level, down-rezzing it to 22MP would give you very similar noise as the 5D III and slightly better detail. D800 is pretty similar to 5D III for noise up to around ISO 6400.

Hi Whayne,

It really depends on what you need. I wanted a FF camera with 10+ fps, and sufficient resolution for most purposes, to shot alongside my 1DIV. The 1DX is perfect for this. It sounds like you're waiting for the 1DsX.

Jim

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.4 #9 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Fred Miranda wrote:
Regarding the cheetah - here's what happened:
It was just another sunny California day. I was hanging out in the backyard, and thought I noticed a wild cheetah approaching. I whipped out the camera, fired off some shots as the ferocious animal lunged towards me. Luckily… I had the a lens camouflage on and was able to distract the beast long enough for me to high-tail it back inside to safety. .

Those cheetahs (plural - gotta improve on your story Fred!)) must have had a good vantage point to find you even with your lens camouflage ... ;-)

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #10 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Alek Komarnits wrote:
Those cheetahs (plural - gotta improve on your story Fred!)) must have had a good vantage point to find you even with your lens camouflage ... ;-)

http://www.komar.org/faq/travel/vacation/kenya-africa-safari/mara-reserve/2012_07_15-08_47_58-7874-cheetah-vehicle.jpg

I love that shot. I'm planning a trip to Africa next year. I'm still deciding which country is the best place to start...Either east (Kenya and Tanzania) or South Africa...This would be my first trip there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.4 #11 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Thanks for the review. And great shots

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:51 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Whayne,

It really depends on what you need. I wanted a FF camera with 10+ fps, and sufficient resolution for most purposes, to shot alongside my 1DIV. The 1DX is perfect for this. It sounds like you're waiting for the 1DsX.

Jim

To me 1D X does not have sufficient resolution for most purposes, especially not wildlife/birding or even landscape although it's not too bad for that. But unless you own an 800L it's going to be crop city in a lot of situations and you'll be losing a lot of it's advantages. The 1D IV has a 27MP FF resolution which is what I had hoped they would do. But alas this camera was about one thing only, beating the D3s in every area, which is why we see large compromise on resolution to achieve fps, and noise targets. Of course they did not know how the D4 would perform. I would have easily given up 2fps to see resolution at least equal the 5D III's.

Anyway 5D III is IMO 85% of the camera for ~50% of the price, so I can't see myself getting a 1D X as I already have 1D IV. My great hope is the new AF in a crop camera eg 7D II and then 1D X will be entirely irrelevant to me.

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.4 #13 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Fred Miranda wrote:
I love that shot. I'm planning a trip to Africa next year. I'm still deciding which country is the best place to start...Either east (Kenya and Tanzania) or South Africa...This would be my first trip there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I appreciate the compliment Fred, especially coming from someone like you ... and hopefully my attempt at levity provided a few smiles - having Cheetah in your 1DX review was over-the-top hilarious. BTW, having actually shot a (successful) Cheetah hunt a few days earlier than that shot above, it ain't easy ... but I was generally pleased what I got with the 7D and 70-200/2.8v2+2xTC shooting into mid-day sun with tall grass. Would have loved to have had the 1DX and the 200-400/F4 ... perhaps you can arrange that for me next time?!? ;-)

In terms of advice, I'm biased since my wife works in the adventure travel business ... so I've been extremely fortunate to be able to do some nifty trips such as Polar Bears, South Africa/Botswana, Galapagos Islands, and even Antaractica/South Georgia.

But other FM'ers have posted fabulous pictures about amazing trips they have taken ... so there certainly are some good tour operators out there.

Sep 05, 2012 at 12:30 AM
ragebot
• • •
p.4 #14 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Thanks for the great review Fred. This was the part I enjoyed the most:

"Do you remember Y2K? That's when Canon came out with the previous 500mm lens. It was 1999, twelve years ago when people thought the world would come to a crashing halt in the year 2000. Now in 2012 the Mayan calendar is scheduled to end, total destruction is feared and Canon comes out with a new 500 mm. Coincidence? "

After using a 1dx for a couple of weeks my review would be simply this, "I get more keepers than with my 1d4".

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #15 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Pixel Perfect wrote
Anyway 5D III is IMO 85% of the camera for ~50% of the price, so I can't see myself getting a 1D X as I already have 1D IV. My great hope is the new AF in a crop camera eg 7D II and then 1D X will be entirely irrelevant to me.

Let's hope we will see an AF system similar to the one on the Canon 5D III on a crop camera soon.

Stoffer wrote
I know I'm answering myself, but Fred Miranda just open up for the EOS-1D X reviews. Thanks!

Yes, fortunate photographers who already own the Canon 1D X, can post their thoughts on it here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=435

ragebot wrote
Thanks for the great review Fred. This was the part I enjoyed the most:

"Do you remember Y2K? That's when Canon came out with the previous 500mm lens. It was 1999, twelve years ago when people thought the world would come to a crashing halt in the year 2000. Now in 2012 the Mayan calendar is scheduled to end, total destruction is feared and Canon comes out with a new 500 mm. Coincidence? "

Thank you Alek and Bob. I will check out these links and start planning this trip.

Sep 07, 2012 at 04:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Fred Miranda wrote:

I've only been to Tanzania, but it was pretty cool. Aside from the Serengeti you also have stuff like the Ngorongoro crater and Zanzibar (there is a forest on Zanzibar that has extremely endangered monkeys, but they are almost like some lost monkeys from New Guinea that had never seen man before in that they are not particularly scared off easily, I literally had them running in front of me and hanging two feet over my head, etc. see (and mind you many are shot at LESS than 200mm at merely 8-10MP on APS-C density):

that said, I hear that South Africa is pretty awesome too, apparently you often get closer and it has a lot more brush and stuff around and less open (more or less no going off road in the Serengeti and you must be back by sunset, they treat anything after sunset as a poacher to hunt down basically, and they say not to beg and whine the driver to stay just a little longer because he might get fired and lose an amazing job; Kenya I think you can go more off-road, they have had some more unrest there at times, we were supposed to meet the Leakeys but they got trapped in Nairobi due to unrest when we were there and couldn't make the trip down to where we were in Tanzania)

I believe Tanz/Ken are dry and dusty JJA but not so dusty Dec/Jan and maybe even wet in Mar/Apr or I think also Oct/early Nov I know at the height of wet season sometimes the road can become more like rivers supposedly and it can get 'interesting' I think Jan/Feb/Mar are calving times. But that info is all vague.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:22 AM
R. Eisenberg
• • •
p.4 #17 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

mttran wrote:
I like Petkal's and your honest & excellent review. Thank you for your time and efforts, Fred and Peter.

+1

Much appreciated. And thanks as well for the AF point selection tip.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:27 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #18 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

skibum5 wrote:
I've only been to Tanzania, but it was pretty cool. Aside from the Serengeti you also have stuff like the Ngorongoro crater and Zanzibar (there is a forest on Zanzibar that has extremely endangered monkeys, but they are almost like some lost monkeys from New Guinea that had never seen man before in that they are not particularly scared off easily, I literally had them running in front of me and hanging two feet over my head, etc. see (and mind you many are shot at LESS than 200mm at merely 8-10MP on APS-C density):
http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9264ns/933093404_JiubF-XL-1.jpg
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9278bns/933094156_TqQsx-XL-1.jpg
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9288ns/933219192_z55Vs-XL-1.jpg
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9270ns/933218555_vtb7a-XL-1.jpg
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9220ns/933218713_ZCw7P-XL-1.jpg
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9266na/933093899_xQRmZ-XL-1.jpg
this one was 'far' away:
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9207ncs/933094687_zehRv-XL-1.jpg
cool]http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9250ns/933093023_XeQ5p-XL-1.jpg
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9264ns/933093404_JiubF-XL-1.jpg
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9278bns/933094156_TqQsx-XL-1.jpg
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9288ns/933219192_z55Vs-XL-1.jpg
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9270ns/933218555_vtb7a-XL-1.jpg
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9220ns/933218713_ZCw7P-XL-1.jpg
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9266na/933093899_xQRmZ-XL-1.jpg
this one was 'far' away:
_http://skibum4.smugmug.com/Wildlife/African/Mammals/IMG9207ncs/933094687_zehRv-XL-1.jpg
cool[/url]
...Show more

Thanks for the detailed info and sharing these photos skibum5!
Tanzania is on our list. I'm hoping my new born will let me take a short trip there in 2013. Here is a picture of Fred Jr. on his new crib.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens    50mm    f/4.0    1/50s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.4 #19 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Fred Miranda wrote:
Tanzania is on our list. I'm hoping my new born will let me take a short trip there in 2013. Here is a picture of Fred Jr. on his new crib.

Is the new crib a creative way to save money with extra carry-on Travelling with kids is a HUGE adjustment, as I've been learing over the past 4 1/2 years.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Fred Miranda wrote:

cute kid

One tip is that I would try taking some of the anti-malaria stuff before you leave to see how well you tolerate it and test it out ahead of time. And if you can't handle the main one they give now then maybe try doxy instead (although bring tons of sunscreen then because you'll VIOLENTLY burn if you get that near equator sun on you while taking that stuff and it can make your stomach grow upset after a while). If you start out in Arusha and quickly get up into Ngorongoro and the Serengeti you might be able to delay the start since not much malaria up the high altitudes of those areas. I think some parts of South Africa or close to malaria free now. Anyway I'm not a doctor.

If you really want to catch the great migration, it can help to have a tour dedicated to that, at least for the Serengeti or Masi Mara stretch (and pick the right time of year and pray, although the moving tented camps can somewhat make up for shifting schedules). When I went I only caught a bit of a far off glimpse of the great migration.

The way things are going I wonder if the great migrations will even be possible to see in another 20 years.
The upper reaches of the main rivers are getting deforested and there is talk of letting in companies to extract resources or something.

The Ngorongoro crater is one of the only reliable places in the Tanz/Kenya region to still be able to see a black rhino, so few left, that other than in the crater they are way too spread out unless you are crazy lucky.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password