Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Spotting Scope or Image Stabilizing Binoculars

stowmaine

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spotting Scope or Image Stabilizing Binoculars

I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone, and need some advice.
To view wildlife I"ll be using the following: Canon 12x IS binocular, 100-400 zoom on a EOS 7D.
Thinking about getting something with more reach, such as Nikon Fieldscope III ED 20-60x60,
Nikon Fieldscope 82 25-75x80 or Zeiss 15-45x65, or Canon's 18x IS binocular.

Should the spotting scope be angled or straight design

Thanks,
Dimanstow

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Steve Walker

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spotting Scope or Image Stabilizing Binoculars

I have the Nikon ED 82mm scope with a 25-75 eyepiece and I love it. Absolutely great value with outstanding optics.

I would NOT go to Yellowstone without at least a medium quality scope. I go there as often as I can and there have just been too many times that the interesting wildlife are a half mile to two miles away.

A reasonable spotting scope on a solid tripod make all the difference in the experience.

I like the 82mm scope better because it always seems that the best wildlife viewing are at dawn and dusk. The larger objective really provides significantly more light, which is critical at these times.

Good luck, and enjoy Yellowstone.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Steve Walker

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spotting Scope or Image Stabilizing Binoculars

I forgot to add that I went with the angled scope. I find it more comfortable to look through and far more convenient to share with others. I have no problem aiming an angled scope.

In Yellowstone, you will see a vast array of spotting scopes. I would estimate that 8 out of every 10 I see are angled.

It was a hard decision for me. I finally went angled and am very glad that I did.

I think the best scopes are Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, and Kowa. Nikon,and Pentax are probably a step down. I think the Nikon ED is the best bang for the buck. Very close to the top ones optically. Not as nice ergonomically. I have tried the top scopes in all the above brands and am very satisfied with the Nikon 82mm ED with 25 to 75 eyepiece.

Note that at the 75 end, you will really notice vibration (such as from wind), heat waves, and lack of light. I rarely zoom beyond about 60x.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:59 AM
stowmaine

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spotting Scope or Image Stabilizing Binoculars

Thanks for the advice. B&H has the Nikon ED 82 25-75 angled for $1366.70 delivered

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:37 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password