Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

I owned the 24 and now own the 28. Both are excellent, sharp and contrasty with relatively fast focus. The 28 is a better focal length for me.

Aug 31, 2012 at 07:14 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

I'm going to have to look up the FOV so I can figure out why so many people care so much about that 4mm worth of difference, in either direction.

Aug 31, 2012 at 07:19 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

24 1.4G for me. Nothing like it.

Plus you won't have to wonder "I wonder how this shot would look like if I had only bought the 1.4G?"

Aug 31, 2012 at 08:19 PM
tom lozinski

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

I really like the 24mm 2.8 which is another good option.

Aug 31, 2012 at 09:16 PM
bblanco
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

There's no question about it: The 28mm f/1.8G

I own both and the new 28mm is every bit as sharp, color saturated, contrasty and has the added benefit of slightly faster AF speed (though not that big of a deal on a wide). It's easy to fall into the trap of believing that because one lens is much more expensive that it's also that much "better". In this case it's not.

The new 28mm f/1.8G is a solid performer and holds its own against the 24mm f/1.8G and, as you mentioned, its lighter weight makes it ideal for travel. Also, as a travel lens, I find that 28mm is wide enough to be "wide" and close enough to normal to shoot just about anything. While only 4mm separates the two, I find that those 4mm make the 24mm just a bit too wide and relegates it to "one-trick pony" status for me.

Bottom line: 28mm f/1.8G ... all day.

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:04 AM
SteveF
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

I'm facing a similar choice soon so I enjoyed reading this thread. Not sure it helps decide at all, but enjoyable reading.

While in Barcelona a few months ago I found that I either shot on the wider side (lots of fun architecture that one could not get too far away from) or on the longer side (everywhere was so crowded and busy having 200-300mm allowed me to isolate things a little from the chaos). But neither of my cameras were Nikon, so I cannot speak to the 24 vs 28 difference.

I'd say borrow or rent a zoom. Lock it at 24 for a while then lock it at 28 for a while. See which you like better. I'd bet a nickel that you (or me, or 99.9% of the photography world) could not reliably discern between prints made with each lens, and given the iso capabilities f/1.4 isn't that far from f/1.8.

Sep 01, 2012 at 12:40 PM
pdp123
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

Ok Rodolfo, you didn't ask for this and no one has mentioned it but I feel I must add... How about the 24-70 2.8? For a trip where your thinking about using just one lens and since your dad will be there and you would rather (on a certain level) not worry too much about the technical aspects about your shooting. Then why not a top quality zoom? Sure, it's "only" 2.8. but this way since your so used to shooting longer lenses. And it seems as if half of the discussion is based on the difference between 24 and 28. This way you could see in real time the difference between the two, as your shooting, and get a better feel as to what the benefits of each field of view works best for your personal vision. Right?

Sep 03, 2012 at 01:02 AM
ausemmao
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Thanks, Michael! Thanks to everyone else for the comments as well.

Budget is thankfully not a concern; I can afford either one. My issue is that I'm always heavily biased towards best-in-class products, and that's clearly the 24/1.4. But I'm not much of a wide guy -- my most-used focal lengths are more like 200+ -- so I'm not sure of how much use it would get in the long term. Then there's the little voice inside my head that says "you don't shoot wide often enough, you're missing a tool, and there's more you can learn that'll make you
...Show more

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I use 700mm the most. 400 is next, then 700. Then whatever the 70-200 covers, with and without a TC. Everything else is a rounding error so far.

If money isn't an issue, get the 24. Frankly, after carrying the 70-200 and the superteles as much as you do, both lenses are going to feel like rounding errors on the end of the camera.

The 28 1.8 is very, very good, especially for the money. It is faster focusing than the 24. The 24 pauses to consider how the light tastes that particular morning before getting on with the business of actually focusing. The 24 also vignettes a fair bit more than the 28. The 28 also isn't Nikon's most expensive non supertele (which makes people more reluctant to try it than they should be, as more cash = more FL seems to skew decisions a bit)

But the 24 is also amazing in a way the 28 isn't. I could honestly shoot nothing but the 24 for the rest of my life and be happy (I'd get a housing and get into the water for wakeboarding, become a referee for rugby or something), and with the D800 you also have a great 36mm 1.4/2. Wide + separation - you definitely know who the subject in a 24mm shot is, but you also get context in a way other lenses don't quite manage (IMO anyway).

The FoV difference is about 10 degrees - 85 vs 75 or something thereabouts. It's a big deal I think because the 28 is on the comfortable side of the "breaching personal space" barrier if one is worried about that, and the 24 is on the other. It's also the FL where the perspective can really start messing with how people look if one doesn't pay attention.

As for shooting wide, whichever lens you get, strap the lens on, and get close!

Sep 03, 2012 at 08:26 AM
MarcG19
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

My honest opinion: for travel, especially in urban areas, I wouldn't go with wide primes at all, especially if you're "new" (for lack of a better word) to wide angle shooting. If I were you, I'd go with the 16-35mm.

First, often times, especially with close-by architecture in the shot, I often want wider than 24mm.

Second, for street type photography, I almost always want longer focal lengths than 24mm. 28 and 35mm are very useful focal lengths in such situations (and when I want wide for this purpose I want really wide, not 24mm).

The NIkon FX cameras should have good high ISO performance that even most kinds of action should be capturable with the 16-35.

I base this off my experience running around for the past year with only a 12mm f/2 Olympus lens (24mm f/2 equivalent). This is highly useful for wild landscapes IMO, but there are plenty of times I'd prefer wider, and I've found I'd prefer other focal lengths for urban landscapes. I've long thought about getting a zoom.

In a 28 vs. 24mm 1.x contest, I'd choose the 28mm. But these lenses are for highly specialized purposes (IMO, they're also quite heavy with FX bodies. I personally would not want to carry them around all day unless I were shooting for money, and I'm still fairly young and in good physical condition).

Sep 03, 2012 at 03:00 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

Lens tip just posted there review of the 28 f1.8.  Compared to the 24 it is really a dead heat foe image sharpness except in the corners where the 28 wins.  For what it's worth my real experience shows the lenses to perform better then the charts and test show at lens tip.  A little sharpening goes a long way especially when using a d3x. Photozone review seems more in line to what I have observed.

http://www.lenstip.com/346.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_28_mm_f_1.8G_Image_resolution.html

http://www.lenstip.com/301.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_24_mm_f_1.4G_ED_Image_resolution.html

Sep 03, 2012 at 03:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

glenerrolrd
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

My pick is the 24/1.4 G and I find it one of nikon s best lenses . I had the 28/1.8 ,the Zeiss 28/2 and the 24/1.4 at the same time and ran a few simple tests . Normally I start with getting the FOV right first and the 28 is a better fit for street and travel shooting . Less distortion and concern about what is at the edges of the image . However the 24/1.4 had a noticeable edge in micro contrast . The 28/1.8 also had some unusual distortion that was hard to pin down ....shoot a series of windows at an angle and you can see it ...but I know this does t bother most users . The Zeiss just wasn’t as sharp at closer distances but it does create a very nice color rendering and strong contrast .

It is possible that I had a weak copy of the 28/1.8 and it does handle very nicely . I wanted to make the 28/1.8 work but I stuck with my 24/1.4 and sold both the 28s .

Sep 03, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

pdp123 wrote:
Ok Rodolfo, you didn't ask for this and no one has mentioned it but I feel I must add... How about the 24-70 2.8?

MarcG19 wrote:
My honest opinion: for travel, especially in urban areas, I wouldn't go with wide primes at all, especially if you're "new" (for lack of a better word) to wide angle shooting. If I were you, I'd go with the 16-35mm.

OK... first off, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate everyone's input. I can do the basic math on FOV and aperture and such myself, and I can read reviews with the best of 'em. But it's the experience and the thoughts of others here (especially when very different from mine) that I really value in this kind of thread. It's especially the ideas I didn't specifically ask about that often prove most fruitful.

That being said, money is not a factor. I have a comfortable budget, plus I already own the 24/1.4 and the 16-35/4. I asked about the 28/1.8 because I was thinking that I don't use it so often, and lighter/smaller/much-cheaper might be worth switching for on this particular trip. So thank you for the unexpected thoughts and ideas, they're very welcome.

I'm leaving on Wednesday, and I've decided to bite the bullet. Only one lens will go, and it'll be either the 24/1.4 or the 16-35/4. If it's worthwhile switching to the 28/1.8, I'll rethink that after the trip and after I've actually shot a good number of images with the 24 I already have. Now, all that remains is to pick between the 24/1.4 and the 16-35. Hmm.

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
OK... first off, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate everyone's input. I can do the basic math on FOV and aperture and such myself, and I can read reviews with the best of 'em. But it's the experience and the thoughts of others here (especially when very different from mine) that I really value in this kind of thread. It's especially the ideas I didn't specifically ask about that often prove most fruitful.

That being said, money is not a factor. I have a comfortable budget, plus I already own the 24/1.4 and the 16-35/4. I asked about
...Show more

On a trip - 16-35 for sure. It'll only take one missed photo for you to say, "Why didn't I listen to Steve?"

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:52 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

I do listen to Steve. Though in this case, it appears I ought perhaps to be listening to Marc instead.

Sep 04, 2012 at 02:30 AM
wcowan

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

I used to travel with the 16-35 & 85mm F1.4, but have swapped out the zoom for the 24mm F1.4. I like having the 85mm there for the people shots (I love photographing people), but the 24 does everything else. I'd have no problems bringing home a large number of wonderful holiday photos with any fast prime in the 20-40mm range. It's actually very liberating traveling like that, it becomes much more about the photo opportunity than the lens or gear.

Sep 04, 2012 at 02:42 AM
Almass
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

Barcelona is a great place to visit, great architecture, great food and greater pickpockets!!!

I would not walk around in Barcelona with a D800 unless covering at least one zero!

In which case, and only because it is Barcelona, I would take the 28G and the 85G and heavily hide the D800 markings!

Although the 24G is a better lens and excellent on the D4, but it is not a happy marriage with the D800/E.
The 85G is doing wonders on the D800/G.

Sep 04, 2012 at 06:39 AM
Guari
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

All cities have pickpocketers. Just choose what you want, insure it and have a great time in BCN!

Do not forget to go to La Pedrera, Parc Guell and Mont Juic.. If you are into art, There's an exquisite Miro museum..

Just take your gear, don't leave your gear hanging around and have it insured...

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:58 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

Just got back. Took both the 24/1.4 and the 16-35/4 VR, because I thought the zoom would be better suited to daylight tourism -- and my notable lack of experience with wide shooting -- but that the 24 would have an advantage for dimly-lit church interiors and nighttime shooting. In the end, the 16-35 stayed on my camera nearly the entire time. Lots of shooting at both 16mm and 35mm, so the zoom did have definite value.

But part of my lens selection is also based on my distrust of my 24/1.4. I've fine-tuned the lens on both my D800 bodies (at about three feet, and also at about seven feet) and I get -17 to -19 on both, and still the images feel a little soft to me. That lens has certainly earned a trip to Nikon Service for a clean, check, and calibrate. I don't feel comfortable with it.

I'll post a few pics as soon as I have them. And thanks again to everyone who participated in this discussion, y'all really helped.

Sep 15, 2012 at 04:36 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

Glad you enjoyed your trip Did you ever feel like you wanted a longer FL?

Sep 15, 2012 at 04:46 PM
hkrzciuk

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 28/1.8 or 24/1.4?

I had both. The 28 is nice and light but not in the same league quality wise as the 24. I got rid of the 28mm. The 24 also adds more character to shots and covers a wider field. It is sharp corner-to-corner. I could not achieve this on 28mm.

This is the lens I am leaving on my camera most all the time, even more than the 35mm f1.4g.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:24 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password