Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · After Market Batteries

JohnJ80
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · After Market Batteries

gdanmitchell wrote:
All of this theorizing is fine, and it made some sense to me... until I encountered the situation I described earlier in this thread and then found that a number of others had encountered similar issues with third-party replacement batteries for the 5d2. Experience with other batteries for other devices - such as my positive experience with third-party 5D batteries - can not be extrapolated to the 5D2 batteries.

Read a bit about this issue and you'll perhaps be a bit less certain about the reliability of the third-party products in this specific case.

While any manufacturer/vendor, including Canon, can occasionally
...Show more

Not to put a point on it but until we know something about why they failed, how you used them and the camera you used them in, we don't know much about this, do we (or do you)? Seems quite odd that all of these batteries failed 100% in your camera - the common denominator. Quite odd that every single battery produced by this manufacturer failed in that particular camera. The odds are really against that in a big way even if the mfg had a sketchy product. From what you describe, although inconclusive, I'd be suspecting that particular camera as much as I'd be suspecting the manufacturer.

The reality is that if this was actual failure rate of Sterlingtek's batteries, they would be out of business due to warranty claims.

J.

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:48 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · After Market Batteries

I used Sterlingtek batteries for a few years. They usually worked fine. However, I have noticed that they die randomly and sometimes prematurely for no reason. Also I noticed that when the temperature is really low like freezing, the Sterlingteks usually run out faster than the OEM. I have owned many Canon OEM batteries and I have never had one die on me, or misbehave. They were all very reliable.

Maybe there is no difference between OEM and Sterlingtek, I don't know since I never opened them up. But I can definitely say I trust the OEM more than the Sterlingtek. So if I was out on a critical paid job, I would prefer an OEM than a Sterlingtek. If I was out on vacation casually taking pictures, then it doesn't matter which brand I use.

Sep 02, 2012 at 03:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · After Market Batteries

JohnJ80 wrote:
Not to put a point on it but until we know something about why they failed, how you used them and the camera you used them in, we don't know much about this, do we (or do you)? Seems quite odd that all of these batteries failed 100% in your camera - the common denominator. Quite odd that every single battery produced by this manufacturer failed in that particular camera. The odds are really against that in a big way even if the mfg had a sketchy product. From what you describe, although inconclusive, I'd be suspecting that particular camera
...Show more

You sure seem set on this.

I described earlier, in great detail, the failure mode of the batteries. You simply made up the story that "all of these batteries failed 100% in your camera - the common denominator." That never happened, nor did I write anything like that. You might find it useful and interesting to actually read my posts before you dismiss them.

Recall that the batteries exhibited the signs of failure before I used them in my camera - they did not work correctly in the charger. Two appeared to not be charging when placed in the charger. Putting them in the camera merely verified the charging failure. The third was a different case. It did charge in the correctly functioning Canon charger, yet failed to hold a charge that was good for as many as 50 shots.

I can imagine your counter-argument already: Well, if the camera wasn't the problem, there must be something wrong with your charger that is the common element. While it is impossible for me to disprove such theories - as well as theories holding that is it California electricity, my bad attitude, or the phase of the moon - it would be quite a stretch to presume that a relatively new charger that works perfectly with Canon batteries would be the cause of two types of problems with third-party batteries. Of course, if the inability to work correctly with Canon chargers was the issue, I would regard that as yet another failure mode of the third-party batteries...

I think - and I've written here and elsewhere many times - that SterlingTek is a fine company. Remember - how many times do I need to repeat this? - that I was a satisfied SterlingTek customer who had purchased a number of their batteries in the past, had great success with them, and recommended them to others. However their replacements for the "chipped" LPE6 5D2 batteries that I purchased turned out a failure, and I would not purchase that type of battery from a third-party again absent some very strong proof that the problems - which have also been reported by others, including in this thread - have been reliably solved.

I do not quarrel with the fact that some number of people feel that they have functioning third-party replacement LPE6 batteries. I'm happy that they are happy. Before I purchased my third-party replacements I had heard stories of problems with the LPE6 replacements, and had put off trying them until SterlingTek, who I regarded as being among the reliable vendors, came out with a version of the product. Based on the experience reported by others and on my own direct experience, I am not convinced that the third-party versions of the LPE6 batteries are as reliable as the Canon product. While I'm as willing to save money as the next guy, I'm unwilling to risk my ability to make photographs in order to save a few dollars on batteries. It seems like a poor gamble to risk the thousands of dollars and days or weeks of my time expended on making photographs.

Would I still buy other types of batteries from SterlingTek? Sure.

Dan

Sep 02, 2012 at 03:45 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · After Market Batteries

rprouty wrote:
Sterlingtek batteries for the 5D III cost quite a bit less than Canon batteries. Any reason not to buy the batteries from SterlingTek?

How much money can you actually save? I've been buying brand new OEM Canon LP-E6 batteries from B&H for $49 apiece.

I'd have to be able to save a heck of a lot more than the cost of a few new batteries to risk destroying a $3000 camera.

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:56 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · After Market Batteries

Sterlingtek batteries... I have noticed that they die randomly and sometimes prematurely for no reason.

Same here. Bought two SterlingTEK ENEL9 equivalent batteries for my Nikon D40. One still works, the other died. Both had the same amount of light use, so the failure of one but not the other suggests significant batch variability.

John

Sep 02, 2012 at 06:03 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · After Market Batteries

molson wrote:
How much money can you actually save? I've been buying brand new OEM Canon LP-E6 batteries from B&H for $49 apiece.

I'd have to be able to save a heck of a lot more than the cost of a few new batteries to risk destroying a $3000 camera.

LP-E6...$59.99 at B&H today..

Sep 02, 2012 at 07:17 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · After Market Batteries

molson wrote:

Exactly.

And short of "destroying a... camera" (which I think is pretty unlikely) I don't want to be caught out with shots to make and dead batteries in my bag.

Dan

Sep 02, 2012 at 09:15 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · After Market Batteries

I run the sterlingteks in my 5d3 & 7d and haven't had any issues... yet but, It's only been a month...

Sep 03, 2012 at 12:20 AM
seam4444
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · After Market Batteries

photo1a wrote:
Ditto this. I have used Sterlingtek batteries for five different Canon EOS cameras. They have performed well.

+1 No problems with four Sterlingtek batteries.

Sep 03, 2012 at 01:13 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · After Market Batteries

seam4444 wrote:
+1 No problems with four Sterlingtek batteries.

In what camera?

Dan

Sep 03, 2012 at 02:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · After Market Batteries

gdanmitchell wrote:
You sure seem set on this.

I described earlier, in great detail, the failure mode of the batteries. You simply made up the story that "all of these batteries failed 100% in your camera - the common denominator." That never happened, nor did I write anything like that. You might find it useful and interesting to actually read my posts before you dismiss them.

Recall that the batteries exhibited the signs of failure before I used them in my camera - they did not work correctly in the charger. Two appeared to not be charging when placed in the charger. Putting
...Show more

It's pretty simple. I don't care what you do or what batteries you buy or what camera you own. Buy Canon batteries - it matters to me not at all.

I'm just pointing out how this works and why your experience is inconclusive and the basic troubleshooting of the problem. It's not personal.

I've been involved with this for about the last 7 or 8 years and I've been in the factories where this stuff is made. It's not rocket science (not even close), in fact, other than the chemistry issues and the scale of manufacturing, it's pretty straightforward stuff. The chemistry takes care of itself since the large bulk of the batteries come from the same factories. I don't recall the market share mix, but I have that somewhere.

Canon is no different than anyone else in buying batteries. Unless they've fired up their own battery factory making cells and I missed it, they are in exactly the same boat as everyone else.

J.

Sep 03, 2012 at 03:45 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · After Market Batteries

molson wrote:

Why do you think you'd destroy your camera?

Generally, they are about 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the Canon batteries.

J.

Sep 03, 2012 at 03:50 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · After Market Batteries

It is amazing how cheap some people can be. When I reach a shooting location, there are so many more important concerns that I don't need to be worrying about cheapo batteries.

I did try some Sterlingtek batteries of various types a few years ago. Five of six were dead within a year. The sole battery for Nikon lasted a decent time.

EBH

Sep 03, 2012 at 04:16 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · After Market Batteries

EB-1 wrote:
It is amazing how cheap some people can be...

EBH

It's amazing how myopic some people can be...

if, in fact, people have had great success with (good) aftermarket batteries (I'm one of them), why pay 3 - 4x the price just so that they say Canon on them?

I also am confident that the same factories make Canon as do the top end non-OEM brands.

greg

Sep 03, 2012 at 09:12 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · After Market Batteries

gheller wrote:

if, in fact, people have had great success with (good) aftermarket batteries (I'm one of them), why pay 3 - 4x the price just so that they say Canon on them?

I also am confident that the same factories make Canon as do the top end non-OEM brands.

greg

Yep.

J.

Sep 03, 2012 at 02:26 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · After Market Batteries

JohnJ80 wrote:
Why do you think you'd destroy your camera?

Generally, they are about 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the Canon batteries.

J.

If you claim the counterfeits are selling for $10 apiece (which would be 1/4 of the price I've been paying for the Canon version), then just buy a bunch of them and be happy. If you don't understand how a defective lithium-ion battery can destroy a camera, just try short-circuiting one... but I suggest calling the fire department before you attempt it.

Sep 03, 2012 at 02:38 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · After Market Batteries

JohnJ80 wrote:
Canon is no different than anyone else in buying batteries. Unless they've fired up their own battery factory making cells and I missed it, they are in exactly the same boat as everyone else.

The real world results suggest that your faith in this theory is perhaps unfounded.

Theories are wonderful and useful things. But it is always useful to check them against the real world.

There are undoubtedly far more Canon-branded batteries in use in Canon cameras than there are third-party batteries. If they were suffering from problems at the rates you predict based on your theory, we should be reading quite a few posts by folks whose Canon batteries failed. However, that is not the case. In fact, I can't recall a single post complaining about unreliable Canon LPE6 batteries, much less the number we see reporting problematic experiences with the third-party versions.

gheller wrote:

As they say, asked and answered. But, one more time...

I am not choosing Canon batteries "just because they say Canon on them." Can we please knock it off with that silliness?

"People have success with (good) aftermarket batteries," including you. (And including me - just not with the LPE6 replacements.) But "people" (me and others) have reported a number of issues that draw the level of their reliability into question.

I bought and had good results from some third-party batteries for different cameras and as I have written (repeatedly, ad nauseum) I would buy those other types of batteries from third party sources again. My specific problem - and the problem reported by a large enough number of other users to create legitimate concerns - was with the chipped LPE6 replacement batteries for the 5D2.

I'm as happy as anyone to save money when I can do so and be assured of getting a high quality and reliable product. However, I'm unwilling to risk my ability to create my photographs so that I can save a small amount of money on batteries. Relative to the costs of my equipment and the time and monetary costs of producing my photography, the few dollars difference between third-party (which have proven unreliable to me) and Canon (which have been entirely reliable for me) batteries is trivial - far less than 1% of my overall investment.

If you are happy with third-party batteries - and I'm sure that many of them work well for many people - then so be it. There is a decent chance that they may work fine for you. But after the very real experience I had, which did jeopardize my ability to complete a photographic project in the back-country, I'm unwilling to take the chance when a reliable product is available for a reasonable price.

It has nothing at all to do with the label on the battery.

gheller wrote:

Indeed.

Dan

Edited on Sep 03, 2012 at 04:26 PM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2012 at 03:56 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · After Market Batteries

I have had two battery failures over ten years or so and both times turned out to be with generic brands. Fortunately, the failures did not cause any damage to the camera/cameras. Yes, Canon own batteries are more expensive and yes, there are plenty happy generic brand battery users out there (and more power to them) but I would rather pay a little more, well, double or more in some cases and get the peace of mind in that respect. And we are talking about $50 or so for a genuine LP-E6.

Sep 03, 2012 at 04:23 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · After Market Batteries

As with most major companies...Canon out-sources many of the component parts...so somewhere in the world there will be a factory or factories making batteries...some of which will go through the final machine that puts Canon labels on...some through the same machine applying labels with other names. It is common practice.

For what it is worth.....I have batteries I bought for my 10D and for my 40D.....the ones still working properly don't have Canon labels on them.

Another urban myth is that Epson makes its own ink.....similar story!

Sep 03, 2012 at 06:37 PM
khilleg
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · After Market Batteries

I used to like Sterlinktek, and it did well with my Digital Rebel and then most recently the 5Dc. It even worked almost 50% better than Canon's OEM batteries.

Then I lost my charger and my batteries flying back home from a familty visit.

I bought a new Canon charger from B&H and two new Sterlingtek batts about 2 years ago. I can now say conclusively that the new batteries do not hold a charge as well as a Canon battery - maybe 75% or so of OEM.

To boot, the Canon Digital Elph batts never worked that good. YMMV

With all the talk about what's/who's really at fault, I think it's most likely the QC of Sterlingtek. I don't shoot as often so it took a while for me to figure out my batts don't last as long as OEM so I didn't switch them out.

Up until recently (the past year or two) I hardly heard anyone say that Sterlingtek had bad batts. Maybe they have a new supplier? Seems odd.

Now, RECENTLY, which company makes a good non-OEM battery for the 5Dc that EXCEEDS OEM? I really want to know b/c I think Canon's batteries don't hold a lot of charge.

Kevin

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:30 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password