Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · After Market Batteries

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · After Market Batteries

I know that batteries have been discussed before but just about everything has at onetime or another

Sterlingtek batteries for the 5D III cost quite a bit less than Canon batteries. Any reason not to buy the batteries from SterlingTek?

I hope this isn't a double post because I thought I had posted it earlier.

Thanks

Rod

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM
njjuliano
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · After Market Batteries

I've had the Sterlingteks before with previous cams, and with the lp-e6s, I dont have major issues, and as usual, actually lasts longer than the oem (2600 vs 1800).

But, the battery indicator on one of mine took a bit of time to "assimilate". I had to return one that constantly showed battery low after waking up from sleep. The replacement, initially showed some of the behavior, but corrected itself after a bit of time, less than a minute. It has not shown that behavior since.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:21 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · After Market Batteries

Sterlingtek is the only brand I buy to make sure I have multiple batteries. I've been purchasing their batteries since my second DSLR 20D many years ago. They stand by their product too. I had a battery go bad within less than a year and they promptly sent me a new one.

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Steve Torelli
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · After Market Batteries

I've also used Sterlingtek for years with no problems. I doubt Canon make their own batteries, so get the Sterlingtek and save some bucks.
Good Luck

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:16 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · After Market Batteries

Rod, the only major incident I have ever had with a camera was with my 5DII while using a after market battery. The camera worked fine when I put in the battery, the next day, I turned it on, and no power. I tryed everything. Ended up sending it into CPS and they replaced a circuit card. $250.00 later it was back and maybe it wasn't the battery that blew the card, but I will never put one in my cameras again. It was really a coincidence that on day 2 of an off brand battery I have a bad circuit board associated with the power.

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:20 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · After Market Batteries

rprouty wrote:
I know that batteries have been discussed before but just about everything has at onetime or another

Sterlingtek batteries for the 5D III cost quite a bit less than Canon batteries. Any reason not to buy the batteries from SterlingTek?

Thanks

Rod

I'll keep it short since I've written extensively and more than once about this in the past. Short story: In the further past I bought, used, like, and recommended SterlingTek replacement batteries for the 5D - the original 12MP camera in the 5D series. After I got a 5D2, I tried a total of three of the SterlingTek replacements for the 5D2 batteries. Two were dead on arrival and one holds perhaps 15% of a normal charge. I was very dissatisfied and would not buy them again - the relatively small cost of the reliable Canon batteries is worth it to me.

If the 5D3 batteries are like the 5D2 batteries, I cannot recommend this at all. Batteries comprise such a small percentage of the overall cost of camera equipment, and their reliable operation is so critical, that I cannot risk it.

Dan

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:31 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · After Market Batteries

I would never understend why would anyone spend $3500 for camera and save extra dollar on original battery. Besides worse performanse, there is risk of camera damage as well as explosion and/or fire. I know someone whose hands got burned from third party battery explosion/fire inside cell phone. I wouldn't save $ on this.

Edited on Aug 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2012 at 02:13 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · After Market Batteries

Thanks folks, it's Canon.

Rod

Aug 31, 2012 at 02:42 AM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · After Market Batteries

I bought an Sterlingtek LP-E6 off Amazon for my 5D II after great experiences with their BP-511A. The battery appeared to hold a charge, but I'd come back to find the camera completely dead at random.

When I pointed this out to Sterlingtek, they didn't respond, but I received a replacement LP-E6 in the mail a few days later. So, props for customer service. If the QC is that questionable, though, I'd probably buy Photive or Wasabi for 50% less in the future.

Aug 31, 2012 at 03:43 AM
photo1a
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · After Market Batteries

Steve Torelli wrote:
I've also used Sterlingtek for years with no problems. I doubt Canon make their own batteries, so get the Sterlingtek and save some bucks.
Good Luck

Ditto this. I have used Sterlingtek batteries for five different Canon EOS cameras. They have performed well.

Aug 31, 2012 at 05:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · After Market Batteries

There is no magic in making batteries. In point of fact, Canon is not a battery manufacturer either and that's the primary reason why their batteries are so expensive, it's not because they are any better.

If you buy a third party battery from a reputable manufacturer, you won't have any problems and you will save a ton of money.

The only time I've had problems with third party batteries was with a battery for my 1Dmk3 - and that's after buying many third party batteries from Sterlingtek (1D battery was not from Sterlingtek). I presume that's because the camera is much, much, MUCH lower sales volume than any of the prosumer cameras and so there is much less of a market for them. That said, it could likely have just been the battery I had - I've had duds from Canon too.

J.

Sep 01, 2012 at 03:57 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · After Market Batteries

I'll bet Canon uses more than one source for their batteries.

Three weeks ago a friend spilled water on their notebook keyboard. The manufacturer wanted (after shipping and taxes) nearly $150 for the replacement part.

I ordered one on E-Bay from a Chinese company. It arrived after 11 days. I inspected the keyboard carefully and compared it to the original. As it turns out, this Chinese manufacturing company supplied the original keyboards to the manufacturer.

The price, after shipping and taxes, was $16.

Ever opened up one of these batteries? You'd be totally surprised what's inside.

Sep 01, 2012 at 04:22 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · After Market Batteries

JohnJ80 wrote:
There is no magic in making batteries. In point of fact, Canon is not a battery manufacturer either and that's the primary reason why their batteries are so expensive, it's not because they are any better.

If you buy a third party battery from a reputable manufacturer, you won't have any problems and you will save a ton of money.

I used to believe almost precisely what you wrote here. That's why I originally bought several third party batteries for my (original) 5D, and bought them from SterlingTek, who generally have a, uh, "sterling" reputation. (By the way, I'm pretty certain that companies like SterlingTek are not the "manufacturers" of the batteries, but rather the importers and vendors.)

A couple of summers ago I needed additional batteries for my 5D2 since I was going to spend 8 days on the trail in the Sierra Nevada doing almost nothing but photography. Knowing the excellent reputation of Sterlingtek and have a very positive experience with the 5D batteries I had purchased from them - in fact, I had often recommended them to others - I decided to order a pair of the Sterlingtek replacement batteries for the 5D2. Not only did I trust the company, but their price for the pair of batteries was excellent.

When the two batteries arrived, I put them into my Canon charger. One appeared to charge, though the indicator lights did not work in the usual way. I put it (battery #1) in the camera and the camera powered up.

When I put battery #2 in the charger indicator lights, as I recall, simply came on and stayed on. I tried the battery in the camera, but it held no charge. A second attempt to charge it was no different - that battery could not be charged. I contacted SterlingTek and they quickly shipped a replacement at no additional charge and I returned battery #2.

When battery #3 arrived, it had essentially the same problem as battery #2, the one I had returned. It could not be charged and it did not work at all.

At this point, the pattern of unreliability in these batteries was clear to me, and I had no more interest in continuing the cycle of battery testing, shipping returns, and corresponding with the vendor. I decided to be philosophical and figured that I had gotten one functional battery (battery #1) at a price that was still a bit less than buying a Canon battery.

A short time later, I left on my lengthy pack trip. Since the actual capacity of the Sterlingtek replacement battery was unknown, I decided to use it first, thinking that it turned out to have a bit less capacity, I still had my set of Canon batteries to work with and I knew how many hundreds of shots each of them could take.

The remaining Sterlingtek battery #1 died after something like 40-50 shots.

Fortunately, I was able to stretch my use of the Canon batteries, metering it out so that I had just enough power to complete the trip.

I learned my lesson. My attempt to save a few bucks on a battery endangered my ability to make photographs, and that is not worth any small savings that might be measured in a few tens of dollars. While being cheap is not my highest goal in life, I'm willing to use an excellent third-party product when I find one - remember, I used several of the 5D SterlingTek replacement batteries and recommended them to others. However, I'm not willing to use unreliable or defective products just because they cost less.

In the end, my final tally with the SterlingTek batteries was:

#1 - held perhaps 15% of a charge
#2 - dead on arrival
#3 - dead on arrival

I have no reason to think that SterlingTek doesn't sell other fine and functional products, though my confidence is now considerably lower. But when it comes to the 5D2 replacement battery? Sorry. No thanks.

Dan

Sep 01, 2012 at 04:26 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · After Market Batteries

Breitling65 wrote:
I would never understend why would anyone spend $3500 for camera and save extra dollar on original battery. Besides worse performanse, there is risk of camera damage as well as explosion and/or fire. I know someone whose hands got burned from third party battery explosion/fire inside cell phone. I wouldn't save $ on this.

This is such a standard response on a thread like this.

Reason? OEM batteries are a rip off, often don't last as long as the aftermarket ones, etc.

I use (good) aftermarket batteries on all my bodies since the D60 (not 60D).

never an issue.

Just stick with what is recommended here on the boards

greg

Sep 01, 2012 at 10:52 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · After Market Batteries

JohnJ80 wrote:

J.

Actually, there is plenty of magic in making Li-on batteries. Few are able to make them safely, and even then, there have been some nasty incidents. A 747 was brought down a couple of years ago due to li-on batteries catching fire.

Most of the high end batteries come from Sony, and they make more than one grade. Sanyo makes high grade li-on batteries as well.

I would not want a chinese made cell with no QA on a airplane I fly in.

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:17 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · After Market Batteries

Yes, in making the batteries. Most of the cells come out of the same factories with 3 or 4 suppliers being the primary guys. Sanyo and Samsung lead the pack. After that, while there are a number of players they are all tiny. You probably have a 90% chance of getting it from one of the big guys.

What a decent volume player does is do to the battery mfg and spec out the pack including the protection circuitry. Then they get the pack delivered to them, they mold it into their plastic and that's about it. I've been in some of those factories and I've been in the engineering meetings to design the packs.

It's just not a big deal. Any of the mfgs can have a bad lot of parts. If the chemistry gets screwed up, the whole batch will be screwed up. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. It's also a bit tricky to test them since the way they are made is half charge them, then run them through an aging tower (takes about 3 days to make the round trip), they are evaluated and then shipped. Long term reliability and charge capacity are more functions of measuring process monitors and that can get a little tricky.

The other alternative is to use the cells from the manufacturers as above but to go to a pack mfg. They make the plastic and the charging/protection circuit (simple stuff). But the capacity of the cells will be the same because they all come from the same source.

Like I've said, I've had issues with Canon batteries too. Canon has no righteous lock on quality or magic in their battery packs. My bet is that they do just like Sterlingtek probably does and use the process I described with one of the big guys. Canon (at least they didn't a few years ago) doesn't have a battery factory to make their own special cells - they'd be nuts to do that when there are huge guys who would kill them on a cost basis (i.e. Sanyo and Samsung). The reason they are such expensive packs is because Canon probably has to pay the same cost as Sterlingtek and then mark them up to make the margins that they need. They also probably really don't want to be in the replacement battery business - unless it's at those unreasonably high prices. There are people who will buy their batteries just because it says "Canon" on the cardboard box.

J.

Edited on Sep 02, 2012 at 02:37 PM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · After Market Batteries

All of this theorizing is fine, and it made some sense to me... until I encountered the situation I described earlier in this thread and then found that a number of others had encountered similar issues with third-party replacement batteries for the 5d2. Experience with other batteries for other devices - such as my positive experience with third-party 5D batteries - can not be extrapolated to the 5D2 batteries.

Read a bit about this issue and you'll perhaps be a bit less certain about the reliability of the third-party products in this specific case.

While any manufacturer/vendor, including Canon, can occasionally allow a bad unit to escape their quality control process, the situation with third-party 5D2 batteries suggests that some caution is warranted - and does not suggest any particular problem with the Canon batteries.

I don't buy Canon batteries just because they say "Canon" on the outside. As I wrote above, I had previously bought, used, and recommended to others the SterlingTek replacement batteries for the original 5D. I owned a number of them, and in my experience they performed as well or better than the Canon batteries. It was because of the previous positive experience that I did not hesitate to buy the SterlingTek 5D2 batteries. In this particular case I will not use the third-party product again, unless I have some strong indication that the problems that I encountered with every one of their 5D2 batteries have been resolved. While I've used over a dozen Canon batteries in various camera products without a single failure and have never had a friend or colleague encounter a Canon battery failure (acknowledging that somewhere, someone probably has), I had a 100% failure rate with the third-party 5D2 replacements, even though I purchased them from a vendor I believed to be reliable, and after doing more reading I have discovered that quite a few others had poor performance from these and similar third-party batteries.

Dan

JohnJ80 wrote:
Yes, in making the batteries. Most of the cells come out of the same factories with 3 or 4 suppliers being the primary guys. Sanyo and Samsung lead the pack. After that, while there are a number of players they are all tiny. You probably have a 90% chance of getting it from one of the big guys. http://www.bloomberg.com/video/must-watch-crane-operator-drops-luxury-yacht-LPlELtM7RWqXFd_6FjOA3Q.html

What a decent volume player does is do to the battery mfg and spec out the pack including the protection circuitry. Then they get the pack delivered to them, they mold it into their plastic and that's about it. I've been in
...Show more

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:00 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · After Market Batteries

rprouty wrote:

Thanks

Rod

I have sterlingtek and other generic batteries, seem to perform the same as Canon

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:01 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · After Market Batteries

I've used Sterlingtek in the XTi, 40D, 50D, 7D and 5DII with out any issues. If I ever did have a problem I'm confident Sterlingtek would send a replacement. I guess the question I always ask myself is this;
If I am the one in a million user that gets a bum battery how many can I buy before I end up spending the same amount of $$ that a single Canon battery costs.

Dave

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:01 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · After Market Batteries

DLP wrote:
If I am the one in a million user that gets a bum battery how many can I buy before I end up spending the same amount of $$ that a single Canon battery costs.

Dave

About 4. That's the whole point. Especially when there is no difference between the OEM and the third party ones.

J.

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:39 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password