Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Stacking Square filters

keviny3001

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stacking Square filters

I don't want to spend the $100+ on a B+W 10 Stop ND filter or a Lee Big Stopper as I'm just starting to get into long exposure. I've noticed that on square filter holders you can stack multiple square filters together.

My question is does anyone have experience stacking multiple 3 or 4 stop ND filters together to achieve a 10-stop filter effect? If so are there any problems with vignetting or light leakage between the filters (I assume the filters aren't stuck completely together and there's space between them). I'll be using this setup on a Canon 10-22

Aug 30, 2012 at 03:21 PM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stacking Square filters

I stack square filters. I use cheap plastic Cokin filters, so what I've found is you start to lose some image quality with each filter you add. If you have 1% distortion with one filter, then you'll have 4% if you add three more. Cokin tends to add a slight color cast too, but you can mostly correct that in post.

Aug 30, 2012 at 05:06 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stacking Square filters

agree with pixelrandy.......you will begin introducing some visible contrast loss and sharpness loss as soon as you start stacking multiple resin (or even high end glass) filters on front of the lens.

You also run a MUCH higher risk of off-axis glare in the image, due to refraction at the extreme capture angles of the filters.

Why not just get a 10 stop resin filter from HiTech, they are about $40.00 from B&H or Adorama.

Aug 30, 2012 at 07:01 PM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stacking Square filters

^^^ yep!

Aug 30, 2012 at 07:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stacking Square filters

Genes Home wrote:
Why not just get a 10 stop resin filter from HiTech, they are about $40.00 from B&H or Adorama.

I've ordered the Hitech, but it was $140. The Lee Bigstopper is 6 months back-ordered.
I've heard/seen in some reviews that the Hitech filter has a pretty severe blue color cast.
Have you noticed this? Is it easy to correct?
Here's one of the reviews: http://blog.jholko.com/2012/06/24/battle-of-the-big-stoppers-lee-vs-hi-tech-10-stop-nd-filter-showdown/

I should be getting my delivery of the Hitech next week to try it. Hopefully the blue cast isn't too severe. Maybe it will be correctable in Photoshop/Lightroom?

Aug 31, 2012 at 04:31 AM
3iron
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stacking Square filters

surfmonkey; would like to hear about the Hitech filter whrn you get a chance. I have read that the clolr cast depends on how your camera reads it so it can differ from camera to camera or brand to brand.
Best wishes.

Aug 31, 2012 at 06:04 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stacking Square filters

3iron wrote:
surfmonkey; would like to hear about the Hitech filter whrn you get a chance. I have read that the clolr cast depends on how your camera reads it so it can differ from camera to camera or brand to brand.
Best wishes.

I'll try to post some results ASAP.

Aug 31, 2012 at 06:55 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stacking Square filters

I just posted my mini review of the Hitech 10-stop filter in a new thread, here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1147132/0#lastmessage

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:28 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password