Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is Photoshop CS3 Compatible with Canon 7D RAW Files?

Jason W
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is Photoshop CS3 Compatible with Canon 7D RAW Files?

I have a Canon 7D on the way, and I use Photoshop CS3 for image editing now (Canon 40D RAW files). I am not a pro, but like to shoot RAW and use ACR to process them before cropping, sharpening, converting to jpeg, etc.

One thing I don't know is if I will need to upgrade to the latest Photoshop version (CS6 I think?) in order to be able to process 7D RAW files?

Praying that I don't need to spend a couple hundred more dollars just to be able to process the 7D RAW files...

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Aug 29, 2012 at 05:37 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is Photoshop CS3 Compatible with Canon 7D RAW Files?

No. You have to update to CS4 or later. Or convert to DNG and then work the file.

Aug 29, 2012 at 05:48 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is Photoshop CS3 Compatible with Canon 7D RAW Files?

dont think so. you can always check the Adobe site but Camera Raw versions are locked to PS versions so you can't update one w/o the other across major PS versions.

Anyway, it seems like CS3 has Camera Raw 4.6 as the latest version and these are the supported Canon cameras

Canon
EOS-1D EOS-1Ds EOS-1D Mark II EOS-1D Mark II N EOS-1Ds Mark II EOS-1D Mark III EOS-1Ds Mark III EOS 5D
Raw 4.6. The new Learn more about the DNG raw file format at
EOS 10D EOS 20D EOS 20Da EOS 30D EOS 40D EOS 50D EOS D30 EOS D60 EOS 300D EOS 350D EOS 400D EOS 450D EOS 1000D (Digital Rebel XS/EOS Kiss F) PowerShot 600
PowerShot A5 PowerShot A50 PowerShot S30 PowerShot S40 PowerShot S45 PowerShot S50 PowerShot S60 PowerShot S70 PowerShot G1 PowerShot G2 PowerShot G3 PowerShot G5 PowerShot G6 PowerShot G9 PowerShot Pro70 PowerShot Pro90 IS PowerShot Pro

Aug 29, 2012 at 05:48 PM
Jason W
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is Photoshop CS3 Compatible with Canon 7D RAW Files?

runamuck wrote:
No. You have to update to CS4 or later. Or convert to DNG and then work the file.

Crap. Was afraid of this. I guess I need to try converting a few current 40D .CR2 files to DNG to see if I can live I with this added workflow step, or pony up the $200 to upgrade to Photoshop CS6.

Does anyone here use DNG files exclusively to archive raw files as their digital negatives? I have raw files from 20D, 30D, and 40D camera bodies going back to 2005...

Thanks.

Aug 29, 2012 at 06:29 PM
JimClark
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is Photoshop CS3 Compatible with Canon 7D RAW Files?

Yup all my files are DNG I convert when I import them. There is a separate conversion program that is free from Adobe doesn't take very long to do a bunch of files

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password