Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lower middle falls

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lower middle falls

Here is the next in the Provo Falls series. Remember what I am looking for here is composition and scene worthiness.

This drop is the next upstream from the lowest falls. There is still a cascade then the main falls and two upper falls. In my judgement, the lower falls are the most photogenic were it not for dead trees.

This scene was taken with a 24 and a 35mm lens. I sort of wish I had a 28 which might be optimum, but until I have such a lens, cropping is the answer.

Like your opinion. I jazzed these up from my faithful rendering of the previous shots.

Like to hear which is best, what is needed yet in terms of comp, processing and even time of day season etc. Also how does it compare to the lower falls.

You can't hurt my feelings here, I am not sure there is a world class image at any of these waterfalls. But I have to try.

Middle falls 24mm

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    TS-E24mm f/3.5L II lens    24mm    f/22.0    1/6s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Middle falls 35mm

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    TS-E24mm f/3.5L II lens    24mm    f/18.0    1/6s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:21 PM
sadja
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lower middle falls

Hi Ben, I prefer the wider scene - there's more to look at. Both shots are kinda dull. Can't think of a way to improve this compositionally. I seem to remember a view (maybe not of these falls --they all look kinda the same) that includeded a lot more of the clifs at the R. That was a much preferable view.

Aug 29, 2012 at 05:05 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lower middle falls

Thanks Sadja.

I too am not much impressed with this one. The other falls is down a few posts here I believe. Unless you are thinking of Bridalveil falls which is more of a ribbon type falls.

Aug 29, 2012 at 05:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lower middle falls

Took a stab at a crop from the wider AOV.

Edited on Aug 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM · View previous versions

Aug 30, 2012 at 01:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lower middle falls

Thanks Rusty. And I had considered an even heavier crop, for example losing that leaning log on the left and the rock on the bottom. I need to keep them at least 2/3 aspect.

This series on the waterfalls and the other of the mountain pond reflection are all from the same area. It is close enough to my home to be possible to get to, but I am starting to think there are no real great images here.

I think I need to go elsewhere in my search.

Looking at the rest of this series, they are not even worth posting. Too many dead trees, or non attractive comps.

Edit: I see you also adjusted color and sat. Did I have it jazzed up too much? This looks about the same as before I did that stuff.

Aug 30, 2012 at 02:31 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lower middle falls

I didn't crop very much ... I kinda liked the log more with it than without it (neither right nor wrong).

Let's just say it "tested" my sense of "plausible realism" with the colors involved (i.e. purple shadows @ rh rocks). As to "jazzing it up", my opinion is that jazzing works best with "correct" WB in the neutrals or creative license, yet can serve to amplify things that might be off a smidge, so it comes as a "double edged sword".

Aug 30, 2012 at 03:22 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lower middle falls

Good point about WB. I need to learn how to figure out WB after processing and how to reset it. I have learned several tricks already, but they are all sort of automatic things that I got from elsewhere without understanding how they worked.

Edit. Here is my attempt to match your results.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    TS-E24mm f/3.5L II lens    24mm    f/22.0    1/6s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 30, 2012 at 02:37 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password