Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Will avenger superclamp hold a reflector?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Will avenger superclamp hold a reflector?

Looking to add a clamp to the end of my avenger extension arm that will hold a collapable reflector. Not looking for complex angles. Just want to hold the reflector from the top (mostly as a gobo). And I already have a collapseable reflector arm...)

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #2 · Will avenger superclamp hold a reflector?

Try it and see, that's much preferable to asking questions on a forum.

If you don't already own a superclamp, you should buy a couple anyways. They are very handy accessories, and inexpensive.

Aug 29, 2012 at 04:18 PM
henryp
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Will avenger superclamp hold a reflector?

Did you see 'Ben Hur?' In the big race scene they used Avenger Superclamps to attach the horses' rigging to Heston's chariot. :-)

Seriously, they should do the trick. FWIW Manfrotto's superclamp is less expensive and pretty good too. They're what I own.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Aug 29, 2012 at 05:51 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Will avenger superclamp hold a reflector?

thanks guys. And good to hear from you Henry as always!

Aug 29, 2012 at 05:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Will avenger superclamp hold a reflector?

One other duh question. Will the superclamp slide onto the avenger extension arm?

Aug 29, 2012 at 05:54 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Will avenger superclamp hold a reflector?

I have the lowly Manfrotto superclamp, and it could easily suspend an office chair. If the clamp side is used to grip the reflector, then outfit the socket side with the baby pin option. The pin will be gripped by your knuckle. Alternatively, get the version with two outward-facing clamps. I'm going upscale with reflector holders, and have the following Matthews gizmos arriving tomorrow from B&H:

Application of the first two is obvious; the third is taped to foamcore rear and then bounce off the front. Cheap enough items once you have the grip gear.

Ref:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33470-REG/Matthews_B429587_Gaffer_Grip_with_5_8.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/282226-REG/Matthews_B429500_Afflac_Duckbill_Clamp.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/32862-REG/Matthews_209495_Foam_Core_Holder.html

Aug 30, 2012 at 05:42 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Will avenger superclamp hold a reflector?

Thanks so much Rico! and when you say knuckle you're talking about this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3582-REG/Avenger_D200B_Black_Grip_Head.html

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Will avenger superclamp hold a reflector?

Here's my understanding of grip terminology. Knuckle, aka grip, refers to the assembly with two disks, central screw post, and threaded handle. Handle turns to squeeze the disks together like a vise. You insert an arm to gain distance, a pin which is part of a small frame, an "ear" which is part of a large frame, or even a baby pin to attach a light. Since a bare knuckle isn't very useful, it is usually attached to something: baby receiver (for grip head), arm (grip arm aka gobo arm), a second knuckle (double gag), second knuckle sans handle (gag). Stands are even built with (large) knuckles attached for overhead frames (butterflies), and scrims for hot lights.

Aug 31, 2012 at 07:11 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password