Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

Red 90
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

Jenny Lake Pano 7mb file

I took a panoramic shot at Jenny Lake last week at the grand tetons. To my dissapointment, the majestic mountains were muddled by the smoke from the forest fires. Most of the time, the mountains were just a blue haze, but when I got to Jenny lake there was some definition in the mountains.

I just stitched together the photos for this panoramic, but I've been playing with curves, levels etc... but really couldn't get anything good to define the mountains a bit better and get the flatness out of the photo. Can anyone suggest what to do. Feel free to manipulate the photo. I'm still very much a beginner at photoshop, so please bear with me if I need to ask more detailed questions the specific steps to make this a decent photo.

Much appreciated.

Aug 29, 2012 at 08:34 AM
HawksFan66
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

I can't get the picture to come up.

Aug 30, 2012 at 01:13 AM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

Hmm... that's odd... I can download it. Wonder if it's the size.. I'll try the link again

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3vj20k3bc4nda6/Jenny%20Lake%20Pano.jpg

Aug 30, 2012 at 01:17 AM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

I've downsized this one in the link

Jenny Lake Pano Smaller File

Aug 30, 2012 at 01:21 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

I tried to download the first one, and it was corrupted, have not tried the new one yet.

Aug 30, 2012 at 04:36 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

I've stuck the files into my google drive, lets see if this works as an alternative. I am able to download it... I won't be able to get another copy till I get off work and save another jpg. Lets see if this works.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3PqGVu1IjVoOFdwQmFncGtsYms/edit

I've tried playing with the channel mixer, levels and curves, but just can't seem to get the picture to anything decent. It was a rather difficult shot to fix as the brightness of the sun mixed with the smoggy haze really makes this one challenging. Any help would be appreciated, I'm not looking at making this into a pristine shot, just something that is decent as I won't have a chance to visit the Grand Tetons for a while.

Aug 30, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

I was able to look at it by pasting that link into my browser...that is a tough one to fix, maybe one of the other more talented than me Post work folks has an idea...

Aug 30, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

Thanks for looking Travis. I know this one isn't easy to fix or enhance. The lack of detail through the haze and the bright sun on one side really makes manipulating the photo difficult. Just hoping here might be an expert out there that can extract a bit more definition from the mountains and make the exposure a bit more pleasing.

Aug 30, 2012 at 05:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

No expert ... but I'm taking a stab at it. Definitely a challenge to say the least. I'm an advocate of making lemonade from lemons, but this one might be a bit "tart".

Aug 30, 2012 at 07:46 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

... I don't mind tarts. I appreciate any efforts. I just chalk this one up as a learning experience on what I can accomplish with photoshop.

I actually like the shot, just want to make it a bit better so the sun and the haze is not so distracting.

Aug 30, 2012 at 08:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

Needs more work to better handle banding in the sky and a few other areas that took penalty hits along the way of my explorations. My brush work is only "so-so" / "eh" ... but you get the gist @ possibilities.

I think that if someone wanted to put forth the effort ... the detail is in there, but it'll be kinda like doing an archeology dig ... slow, patiently tedious and a labor of love. No magic "click here" button.

I hope to get there myself someday.

Sep 01, 2012 at 12:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

I tried my hand at this location last time I was at the Tetons. Fact is I was there for sunrise one day. But the Tetons from this angle just don't look like the Tetons.

Mountains are like that, they have a changing appearance from different angles and take on very different natures as the angle of view changes. I am partial to the view from someplace along the highway just north of Snake River overlook. But the view from the barns is pretty good as well.

Add smoke and people and flat light and it makes it a whole different subject.

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

Thanks rustbug!!! Could you tell me what methods you tried to extract the details from the mountains.

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

I went to some of the overlooks by the snake river and the tetons were basically a blue silhouette.

Sep 01, 2012 at 03:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

Of course, you are working with a pano stitch of multiple image, so you might want to take a look at them individually prior to stitching them, but ...

First I tried to adjust the WB to remove some of the haze. I chose a dark shadow area of the mountain and adjusted the middle gray dropper in levels from there. From there it is an iterative process of color balance adjustments and masks. Also, some iterative sharpening and contrast work in the mountains.

I tried several different things along the way, so it's hard to give a "do this, do that" ... but I did start with WB efforts, then contrast & sharpening efforts ... all with "brushed" masks to try and localize the efforts. It was mostly a "try this" and see what goes right vs. wrong, then step back and try again till I saw something the way I wanted it. Then, it was do that part (ignoring how badly it made the rest look) and mask the rest ... very piecemeal.

Sep 01, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Landscape Pano - Suggestions on processing

I found that you were able to regain some detail and depthoff the mountains to the left which was the main problem. The rest of the scene can be adjusted with some masks and tweaking. It seemed no matter what iI did it was just a big blue blotch. I wasn't sure if there was any methods of using the alpha channels or channel mixers with masks to pull out the details. I'll try to rework it with your methods and see how successful I might be.

And again I really do appreciate the time and efforts you've attempted at enhancing this photo

Sep 01, 2012 at 04:02 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password