FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Some 4x5 goodness...

TRReichman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Some 4x5 goodness...

Out of curiosity, do you have any examples of something shot in this style and the same basic shot on 35mm DSLR?

- trr

Aug 31, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Some 4x5 goodness...

hardlyboring wrote:
I have a Graflex Super D... well actually I have a few of them in both 4x5 and 3 3/4 x 4 1/4. They have no movements. I can tilt the lens by mis-mounting it if i feel like it.
I also have a Crown Graphic that I hardly ever use because I find the rangefinder to be incredibly clunky and small for the size of the camera. Also there is no reliable way to focus with the rangefinder and then line up a shot without moving the point of focus to much.

This is my lovely wife, business partner, mountain
...Show more

Man, that thing looks nice! Mine looks like it was dropped off the back of a truck every day for a week . Shutter works fine though. The hood smells like my Grandmas basement, so I don't like getting my face right in it if I don't have to . I don't want to get some weird mold spore infectious disease from it, so I took it off and cleaned it but it didn't help much. It's just old I guess. Curious what you shoot in your 3x4...I think the only film I've seen in that size is Efke... I've got a 3x4 Speed Graphic, and I cut down some X-Ray film to shoot in it, which works fine. It's not much smaller than my 4x5 Crown though, so it mostly sits there looking nice. When working with the Crown, don't forget that if you can't get the exact framing you want without moving the focus point, you can always crop later...it's a freaking 4x5 ya know . Yea, I know...it goes against what most of us feel about getting it right when you push the button, but cropping during printing was standard procedure in the past...and with LF, you've got room for it unless you're printing a billboard. Just sayin' (as someone who really enjoys shooting a Crown). .

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:27 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Some 4x5 goodness...

Hey Scott!
Ya that is my original Graflex... it is amazingly clean although it does not have the bright screen like my other one does. The other just broke... the curtain came loose and rolled all the way up into the mechanism...

The reason I do not shoo the 3x4 is that I do not have film holders for it. It has the old slide lock mechanism... I do not know if it is called the Graphloc or Graphic or whatever... I either need to find some holders or else get the newer back so that I can use the modern plastic film holders.

I also shot my Pentac Dalmeyer for the first time during a wedding yesterday.... Super excited to see the results...

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:59 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Some 4x5 goodness...

I'm a bit late to the party here.

I like both of these shots a lot, especially the second. I totally get you on the combination of dof/film/bw/art/vision/talking piece...

Quick question obout the camera. Does the mirror flap up when you trip the shutter, or do you lift it up (obviously closing the shutter first), and then trip the shutter?

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:23 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Some 4x5 goodness...

The mirror flips up as the shutter is activated... same as an RB67 or RZ67.
Then you have to recock the mirror and reset the shutter.

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:28 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Some 4x5 goodness...

Oh thanks. that thing must be loud. How handholdable is that mirror slap?

Sep 02, 2012 at 07:01 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Some 4x5 goodness...

I can handhold it down to about 1/60th...

Sep 02, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Some 4x5 goodness...

hardlyboring wrote:
Hey Scott!
Ya that is my original Graflex... it is amazingly clean although it does not have the bright screen like my other one does. The other just broke... the curtain came loose and rolled all the way up into the mechanism...

The reason I do not shoo the 3x4 is that I do not have film holders for it. It has the old slide lock mechanism... I do not know if it is called the Graphloc or Graphic or whatever... I either need to find some holders or else get the newer back so that I can use the
...Show more

It's actually possible to have the shutter curtain repaired/replaced, but it's probably cheaper just to buy another one...I saw a writeup by someone who did it themselves and it was pretty intense. I fix old camera gear for a hobby, but after reading that--no thanks .

The Graphic back is the standard spring back that takes regular wooden or plastic film holders...which are also called "Graphic" to match the back. You're already familiar with Graflex film holders. Graflock is the style of removable back with two tabs that allow you to use different backs easily (my Crown is a Graflock). You push the two release bars in to slide the spring back off, and there's two flat sliding bars that can be used to attach a roll film holder, Polaroid back or whatever. Sounds like maybe your 3x4 is missing the spring back that slides onto it? If so, you can probably find another one on ebay if you're patient. I see roll film holders on ebay periodically too...I have a Graflex 23 for my Crown, but I can't remember ever actually using it. My 3x4 Speed is just a regular Graphic spring back, and it came with a half dozen wooden film holders and some other accessories.

Can't wait to see the results from your Dallmeyer! I still haven't gotten around to mounting mine yet, so I'm curious to see what you can do with it.

Sep 05, 2012 at 05:23 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Some 4x5 goodness...

Scott... If the 3x4 film holders are the old wooden ones with the notches I would buy 3 of them from you if you wanted to sell I cannot find the damn things anywhere.

The Dallmeyer is nice but kind of hard to focus. It has a very dreamy quality about it. The Schneider lens I have is much sharper IMO. The Dallmeyer is nice but I found it semi unreliable for wedding work because it is hard to focus.

The 4x5 and 3x4 that have the Graflock backs have no other accessories and will not take any other spring loaded holders... They will only accept the old style wooden holders with the notches.
My broken 4x5 has the Graphic back that is the same as my Crown Graphic.. it is the spring loaded holder that you can slide the newer plastic cut film holders into that do not have notches. It also has the ground glass on the back so you can flip up the mirror and focus through the back the same way a field/monorail/crown graphic can be focused. I actually have another Graphic back that is not attached ... I need to find someone to reliably attach it for me. I would do it myself but I cannot bring myself to mess with my babies.

I have been looking for other Graflex cameras... Not to many that are nice come up that much. I have contacts all over the country that keep an eye out for nice ones for me. Lately it has been a lot of the older style Graflex cameras coming up with the fixed lens. The really old ones are cool but not to many work that great because they are almost 100 years old.

I really would like to shoot my 3x4... it is practically brand new and has a flash sync built in too so I can attach a PC cord to it and fire my flashes as well

Sep 05, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Some 4x5 goodness...

hardlyboring wrote:
Scott... If the 3x4 film holders are the old wooden ones with the notches I would buy 3 of them from you if you wanted to sell I cannot find the damn things anywhere.

The Dallmeyer is nice but kind of hard to focus. It has a very dreamy quality about it. The Schneider lens I have is much sharper IMO. The Dallmeyer is nice but I found it semi unreliable for wedding work because it is hard to focus.

The 4x5 and 3x4 that have the Graflock backs have no other accessories and will not take any other spring
...Show more

Hey Doug,
Interesting your Graflex had a Graphic back...mine does too. I've read that it wasn't ever an option from the factory, but mine certainly looks like it belongs there. I checked the focus between the WLF and the rear ground glass, and they were both spot on. Whoever did it, they did it right thankfully. Love having it on there...I really don't need two sets of film holders in 4x5.
Sounds like your 3x4 has a Graflex back...it looks really similar to a Graflok, but they're not interchangeable. You can see the difference here:
http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/graflex/backs.htm
I'd be happy to sell you some of my film holders, but unfortunately they're just the regular Graphic type so they won't work. I'll keep an eye out for some though...they're out there, and I'm sure some will turn up sooner or later. Flash sync would be fun...wonder what speed it syncs at? 1/60th or 1/30th maybe? I actually velcroed a Cybersync transmitter to the bed of my Crown Graphic and hooked a sync cord up to the shutter (wonder how many other people have run that combo ). Worked just fine. I have a couple lenses with Synchro Compurs, so it's always an option I suppose.
I've wondered just how practical the Dallmeyer actually is to use...I'm sure it'll be fun to play with, but it's got quite a bit of haze in it so it'll be looking for an excuse to flare at the first sign of light anywhere near it. I'm also really curious what my Wollensak 15"/5.6 telephoto is going to look like...seems like it's just about the right length for shooting portraits. Still haven't had time to get to that one either...never enough time for the fun stuff .

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:13 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Some 4x5 goodness...

Very nice! I wish there are more....

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:40 PM
newyorkone
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Some 4x5 goodness...

Beautiful shots. Which lens did you use?

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.