Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Newbie to Printing, Calibration, Printer Profiling, etc.....

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Newbie to Printing, Calibration, Printer Profiling, etc...help!

Hello FMers,

Other than direct printing to low end inkjet printers I've zero experience with color management; camera to computer to print. I use Canon gear (cameras, lenses and printers), got a used spyder pro v2 from a buddy, but really have little clue what to read other than the manuals.

Are there any books, websites or other tutorials you might suggest to get me started?

My current kit consists of Canon 40D and 50D, L and non-L glass, a Pixma 9500MkII printer, 1024x768 resolution laptop(xp) and desktop(vista) both with 4Gb ram, LR v3.6 and Photoshop CS6, and a friends Spyder Pro v2.

A new system will be purchased near year end and will consist of a Dell XPS desktop(Win7 or 8) 64bit, 32Gb ram, 3rd gen i7 quadcore, Dell 2410 ultrasharp monitor (IPS screen), LR v4 and the newer Spyder if required.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, I'm looking at getting the "Camera to Print and Screen" video tutorials from LL as their Lightroom videos were helpful...I've no clue about high quality paper and print both color and B&W.

Thanks,

Jerry

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:54 AM
JoeMelzer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Newbie to Printing, Calibration, Printer Profiling, etc...help!

Hi Jerry,

there are a few sites with nice tutorials that may help you to get on the road. I don't have the links here, but one site I remember is this: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/articles.php

cheers - Joe

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Newbie to Printing, Calibration, Printer Profiling, etc...help!

spend the money on this series.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/tutorials/camera_to_print_and_screen.shtml

edit: oops, didn't see you were already evaluating it.

Aug 29, 2012 at 04:53 PM
BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #4 · Newbie to Printing, Calibration, Printer Profiling, etc...help!

Jerry, I believe the Dell U2410 is a wide gamut monitor (color gamut similar to AdobeRGB). I don't believe that the Spyder2 will work satisfactorily with a wide gamut monitor. You need either a Spyder 3 or the newer Spyder 4 (Datacolor line), or the i1 Display Pro (X-Rite line).

Aug 29, 2012 at 06:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pkupcik
• •
p.1 #5 · Newbie to Printing, Calibration, Printer Profiling, etc...help!

BobCollette wrote:
Jerry, I believe the Dell U2410 is a wide gamut monitor (color gamut similar to AdobeRGB). I don't believe that the Spyder2 will work satisfactorily with a wide gamut monitor. You need either a Spyder 3 or the newer Spyder 4 (Datacolor line), or the i1 Display Pro (X-Rite line).

I've read that even Spyder 3 and 4 can't calibrate wide gamut monitors properly and have problems specifically with U2410. I would highly recommend i1Display Pro.

Edited on Sep 10, 2012 at 03:11 AM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2012 at 03:01 AM
pkupcik
• •
p.1 #6 · Newbie to Printing, Calibration, Printer Profiling, etc...help!

Also if you own any decent Photoshop book, for example those by Martin Evening, it usually has a whole chapter dedicated to color management. You may have to read it multiple times together with other resources that others suggested to get comfortable with it. Color Management may seem very intimidating and confusing at first. Once you understand it you will probably go through a period of frustration because it is not very easy to have a perfect match between screen and printer. You can easily get close, but it's hard to be 100% perfect.

Sep 10, 2012 at 03:10 AM
S Richardson

p.1 #7 · Newbie to Printing, Calibration, Printer Profiling, etc...help!

I have the U2410 and Spyder4 and have great success with calibrating my monitor when printing to my 9500 printer. The only difference I have is I'm using a MBP to drive the monitor.

Sep 10, 2012 at 03:25 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password